Would it be possible to mod the RS7000?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Would it be possible to mod the RS7000?

Post by Hugo76 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:52 pm

@ Zamise:
What kind of improvements would you like to see the most?
For me it's loop crossfade and programmable arpeggiator.

Oh, and I had another crazy idea: how about we team up and offer to pay Yamaha for doing the upgrade? ;)
There's probably quite a number of users that could chip in. I'd be willing to plunk down a good few dollars myself.

0e0
Gear: Roland MKS-50, Juno-106, JV-1080
Yamaha A4000, SU700, S80 (w/PLG150-VL), SY 77, SY 22
Oberheim Matrix-1000
Kawai K3m, K4
Zoom ST-224
Band: 0=0

Post by 0e0 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:51 am

Hugo76 wrote:@ Zamise:

Oh, and I had another crazy idea: how about we team up and offer to pay Yamaha for doing the upgrade? ;)
There's probably quite a number of users that could chip in. I'd be willing to plunk down a good few dollars myself.
Loop points controllable by modulation, cc msgs, envelopes..

and extra envelope.

i'm pretty close to some people at yamaha and i'll ask them about the OS as i have some features i want in the A4000.

cheers.

j

0=0

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:14 pm

0e0 wrote:
Hugo76 wrote:@ Zamise:

Loop points controllable by modulation, cc msgs, envelopes..

and extra envelope.

i'm pretty close to some people at yamaha and i'll ask them about the OS as i have some features i want in the A4000.

cheers.

j

0=0
That sounds great, j. Don't hesitate to use questionable means to persuade them into upgrading the OS'es ;)

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:20 pm

That'd be cool J. Let us know how it goes, if it does go. I've heard others say the same, so I've little expectations, if you get somewhere with them I'm warning you now that you'll be hero of the year. Don't let that discourage you.

Step - I was thinking the code could be accessed via the OS update files, but maybe I was wrong, no idea how to access code once its in the ROM.

Hugo - I offered to pay Yamaha for the source, I couldn't see them when they saw my offer, but I imagined they completely ignored my request that didn't matter to them one iota, or they had a small chuckle first then ignored it.

Anyway, yeah loop point modulation for attack loops especially would be great. My number one thing would be for it to have Megavoices with all 4 or more element's settings 100% accessible to the user and not loose any elements when dropping in to mono mode, this would save me some tracks but this maybe could be more of a hardware issue. Secondly would be 2nd LFO for at least modulating the first's amount and depth. I'd like to see track mute accessable via midi or sysex code, reversable pitch, and for all those that asked have volume control for the click record measure counter thingy. sample loop cross points I may not know what I'm missing for that until I get and actually try using it. Memory recognizable past 64meg might be good. Hmm, what else? There is a good sized old request list in files section on the yahoo list, a few of which Yamaha did address on the last update they did in like I think in 04'.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:35 pm

@ Zamise:
I've also found the 1 element structure frustrating, but I suspect any changes here would have to involve a new sound chip. Which makes me think: would it somehow be possible to replace the whole inside with that of the Motif ES? I used to have an ES, but had to let it go due to the frustrating OS. BUT: it is very similar to the RS7000, so I think in hindsight my frustrations were due more to this system not working for me on a synth - I found it kinda hard to lean over the synth from a chair as opposed to lounging in my couch with the RS on my lap ;) Yeah, it sounds silly, but then again I didn't have the RS back then. I probably gave up too easy on the Motif.

With an ES inside I wouldn't even moan about loop xrossfade anymore (it's also not included in the ES) - the stellar sounds and insert fx for 8 parts makes up for this omission to a large degree, I'd say.

btw: loop crossfade is an essential tool for making glitchless loops in sustained sounds such as strings, pads etc.
Any tips on how to avoid this by other means are very welcomed :D

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Zamise » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:26 am

Don't know how well this works or if the same thing, but Pagaso on the list recently posted this:

-If you want a velocity split multisample (crossfaded), put the lower velocity
samples on one track and the higher velocity samples on another track. give the
low samples a 24db lowpass filter with lots of positive envelope depth and the
high samples a 24db highpass, with lots of negative envelope depth. play both
tracks at the same time at different velocities and adjust the filters and
filter envelopes until you have smooth velocity switching/crossfading

He knows the RS as much if not more than I, he has provided a lot of great workarounds for us RSers.

FYI, many of the RS's voices are 2 element voices, however you can't adjust them independently of each other or exchange their waveforms. On some RS voices the 2nd element can be quite different sounding, prob just a difrent waveform I'm sure, but I've heard one or two voices where the second element has some inaccessible panning going on that sound quite cool, but when you drop the voice to a mono the second element drops out and then you've only got one so you loose the panning effect or some of the 'phat' with other 2 element voices. It kind of makes sense in a way the two elements together take up a poly count each, so mono reduces that track to just 1 polly hence just one element can only play. Maybe it needs a dual as well as a mono and polly setting, that might help. If it had megavoice, maybe it'd need a quad mode as to emulate a 4 osc monosynth on that track. I wonder if its the same deal on the motifs or not? Megavoice means it is using two voices stacked for so it'd be 4 elements total. Correct? One note could equal 4 polly and probably why having a larger polly count is needed on them. I enjoy using mono quite a bit still on my RS. Anyhow, the workaround has been to copy that track to another track, make adjustments like a fine detune, and resample together on a 3rd track delete the first two and use the resampled version instead. That method has some drawbacks still though, cause it is a tad time consuming and it helps to leave two extra tracks open whenever doing it but you don't necessarly have to either, but it'd be even more time consuming using another style and copying the samped voice over to the other. You can also link tracks to each other through the midi setup, or leave them seperate to they can stay indepent as long as you don't start tweaking one out too much which is the way I usually do it, but it takes up an extra track still when a megavoice could do it all without going through all the extra trouble of layering tracks. Sometimes I think the best answer for all this may just be to get a second RS... Anyhow... I'm rambling on now... this is stuff that can be talked about more on the list.

Glad your finding the RS easier to work with than a Motif, I think I enjoy it more simply because of the more analog like knoby style control surface better for quicker realtime editing of voices. No workstations have yet to beat that, and it beats most VAs as well even in that department.

Villi
Gear: Yamaha RS7000 & DX200, Quasimidi Sirius, Casio CZ5000

Post by Villi » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:21 pm

If one could somehow make patch memory separate of pattern memory, that would be a nice addition too.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:49 am

@ Zamise:
Yeah, I suspected some of the voices actually had more than one element. But I'd need them to be separately editable.
What you say about a second RS makes me think I perhaps should look for one. Preferably with the optional extra outs added. Do you have that one? Being able to send audio digitally could open up some nice possibilities with my V-Synth.

Thanks for the tip on multisampling, btw, will look into that when I get some extra time on my hands :D

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Zamise » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:07 pm

Yup I've got the AIEB2 on mine. For the most part it rarely gets used, but it is pretty cool to have when it is needed for doing some extra things here and there.

Heres a good tip for ya if your looking for the next best thing to an all around mod, without having to mod your RS, get a Peavey PC-1600 slider box for it. The thing goes just perfect with the RS, its nearly identical width, maybe slightly smaller. I only use it for simultaneous velocity and filter sweeps across multiple tracks, but supposedly it can be programmed to do a lot more.

Also, I happen to be digging around on a Motif XS yesterday... even with the RS's limitations I still would not trade it in for anything. Yamaha probably would get a 5% market share boost if they simply got rid of that cheap a*s main rotatory selector on the XSs.
ImageAt Yamaha we’re always keen to learn more about how our instruments and equipment is being used across a wide range of diverse musical styles and situations. We're passionate about music and musicians. Talking to the people that have chosen to play Yamaha and rely on our instruments every day (and night) provides us with a unique insight allowing us to consistently ensure we are getting it right.
- Link

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:10 am

Thanks for the tip, Zamise.
btw: that's one nice synth in the picture there! Girl's ok too, I guess :D

harness
Gear: stuff

Post by harness » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:59 am

i would kill for realtime record of loop remix midi info. i know i could just record into a daw, but its not the same.
Yamaha RS7000, Akai S3000XL, E-MU E4XT Ultra, Access Virus Rack XL, Roland MKS 70, Future Retro 777, Studio Electronics ATC-X, Kurzweil PC361

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Zamise » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:50 pm

You can record realtime and loop remix midi with the RS7000, use the Realtime Loop Remix button up top, and if you have latest OS you can record in notes without having to stop play. Couldn't do that on the earlier OS. However, if your talking sample re-recording without stopping tho then no, the RS has to be stopped first to record samples as far as I know, that is one of the things I think the MPCs do have over the RS, and which is probably what your talking about yes? It would be cool to be able to record samples without having to stop play on the RS first. But, that is one the big reasons why I use the RS's internal sounds as much as possible, because once you learn how to create your own drum loops etc., you don't necessarily have to stop the RS for anything else really except maybe perhaps recording in and mangling up some vocs or odd sound effects. Once you have recorded something like a drum loop or vocs though and then use Slice on it you can then use the Realtime Loop Remix function of the RS for some pretty cool 'on the fly' sample loop remixing. For internal instruments there is no need to re-record as a sample since they are all already in it, you just loop remix them.

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:49 am

That's funny you mention the internal sounds. I got to using it's internal sounds quite a lot when I had it. I think the RS has a lot of useable sounds already, but it has decent depth for a rompler for synth editing. For some reason I enjoyed editing the sounds on it. I was never keen on using it as a sampler because it takes forever and kills workflow to a complete stop.

I've been thinking about possibly picking one up again. the sequencing was pretty easy, but got tedious after a while if I wanted more in depth sequencing. I liked making drum beats and quick synth/bass parts on it the most.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

Don Solaris
Gear: I got almost everything you would ever want.

Post by Don Solaris » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:40 pm

Crossfade Loop. That's all.

I'd even pay for it.

Damn!

Torstein

Post by Torstein » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:16 am

How many of you RS users use it primarily for sequencing external gear?

I owned an RS many years ago and used it as my main rhythm box, with the built-in drum sounds. It never clicked for me, as I found them mostly not to my taste. I then went through a phase, sold off all my equipment (including the RS).

I've since rebought some gear and decided to get an RS again as well b/c it's so fast to work with. This time, however, I've ditched the computer and have made the RS my centerpiece. Now I have it driving external gear, and it's mindblowing really. Using some of the MIDI effects on external synths breathes new life into otherwise tired old hardware. I toss in one or two built-in sounds from the RS, but everything else is external.