insane sounding analog instrument

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
analoghaze

insane sounding analog instrument

Post by analoghaze » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:10 pm

May be the most fun instrument to play.
Unique sound and extremely expressive.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Re: insane sounding analog instrument

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:16 pm

I love it when people discover the Theremin for the first time.

http://www.thereminworld.com/
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:02 pm

Also extremely hard to play properly; more like learning an acoustic instrument in that regard. But yes, they are fun. I sold mine because I just didn't have the time to put into doing a proper job of it, but when you see one played well it's a fantastic instrument.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:59 am

I have been playing the theremin for several years now and I am at the point where I can play some convincing melodies on it.

It is pretty hard to play with precision but a lot of fun.

Vibrato helps....

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:54 pm

my bandmate has one. its great how it reacts to every nuance, like an acoustic instrument. i did rather well with the pitch, but coordination with the other hand and dynamics was tricky. it would really take time to master properly.

on a side note, i was always a bit put off by being limited with that one sound. and then, just as started thinkin if a CV/GATE (or 2 CVs for two hand controls) would ever be possible on a theremin, to use it as a controller for other analog gear, ta-daaaa ... moog comes out with theremin plus with the cv interfacing. yipeee.

now the whole concept is very tempting. learning some other kind of controller/input/expression device beside keys was always an intriguing idea. if i could pitch control vcos on my modular, and vca/vcf with the other hand, that be very powerful.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:16 pm

My audience loves the Theremin solos and I can't even play it well, but I can play it expressively...

It's interesting, but ever since I started using it live, the audience seems to pay more attention to the performance.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:24 pm

:D I see the performer "prepared and dressed himself" and found the appropiate clothes to play it and making a video ....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:32 pm

clusterchord wrote: on a side note, i was always a bit put off by being limited with that one sound. and then, just as started thinkin if a CV/GATE (or 2 CVs for two hand controls) would ever be possible on a theremin, to use it as a controller for other analog gear, ta-daaaa ... moog comes out with theremin plus with the cv interfacing. yipeee.

now the whole concept is very tempting. learning some other kind of controller/input/expression device beside keys was always an intriguing idea. if i could pitch control vcos on my modular, and vca/vcf with the other hand, that be very powerful.
There is a video on youtube (unfortunately I can't browse youtube properly at work so I can't find it for you) of a guy using a theremin to control a MFOS soundlab. It's amazing. One of the controls is controlling a sort of filtered noise part that he turns into a snare by pretty much air-punching the theremin. Very cool.

ReaPeR
Gear: Fusion 6HD
Waldorf Q Rack
DSI Evolver Desktop
Roland VK-8m

and other various FX/softhings

Post by ReaPeR » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:56 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-to5hU6yl0
a really, really better example of expressive theremin playing

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:58 pm

clusterchord wrote: on a side note, i was always a bit put off by being limited with that one sound. and then, just as started thinkin if a CV/GATE (or 2 CVs for two hand controls) would ever be possible on a theremin, to use it as a controller for other analog gear, ta-daaaa ... moog comes out with theremin plus with the cv interfacing. yipeee.

doepfer also has a theremin controller

http://www.doepfer.de/a178.htm

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:22 am

Only moments away from the person who asks if theremins can be controlled with MIDI...
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:32 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Only moments away from the person who asks if theremins can be controlled with MIDI...
:lol:
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:47 am

Anybody know how good the paia theremax's are?

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:13 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Only moments away from the person who asks if theremins can be controlled with MIDI...
that's nonsense AG, we're talking the other way round

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:36 pm

The Etherwave Pro comes with CV outputs and the Etherwave Standard can easily be modded to include them.