Sequencers sending pulse signal

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
HUBA

Sequencers sending pulse signal

Post by HUBA » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:06 pm

I've heard about sequencers that can send a pulse signal, for instance at each bars startpoint, making it possible for an external synth to reset/snap/lock its LFO wavefortm to each bar.

What sequencers have this function?

What function or input is required on the external synth, to be able to react to this pulse?

Could it be done with both synced and free running LFO's?

pix

Re: Sequencers sending pulse signal

Post by pix » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:23 am

the machinedrum is fantastic for this.

Dj Pound
Gear: Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Post by Dj Pound » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:44 am

Like a CV/gate or something?
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

HUBA

Post by HUBA » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:40 pm

pix wrote:the machinedrum is fantastic for this.
Thanks! I'll check it out. What synth(s) have you done this with?

HUBA

Post by HUBA » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:42 pm

Dj Pound wrote:Like a CV/gate or something?
I don't know. Whatever working. If there's no way to make the LFO's on my Virus TI to reset like that when using a hardware sequencer, then I need to find out about sequencers and synths that make this possible with cv/gate/midi or whatever. I understand the xpander has input for triggering LFO. And sh-101, but only for sample & hold I think. Don't know if they could reset to each bar. Best thing would probably be to get a synth that does this by itself with a push of a button, but I don't know if they exist.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:15 pm

what does the Virus TI manual say? What source can be used to reset the LFO? Can it sync to midi clock?

HUBA

Post by HUBA » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:39 pm

StepLogik wrote:what does the Virus TI manual say? What source can be used to reset the LFO? Can it sync to midi clock?
It can only reset to note as far as I can tell. It syncs fine to midi clock. Since it's possible when using Live as sequencer, I thought maybe it could work with midi somehow. I don't understand how, but I guess a software sequencer works different than a hardware sequencer.

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:45 pm

alesis mmt-8 got a click out. you can select what ever time signature you want to send.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

HUBA

Post by HUBA » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:07 pm

novielo wrote:alesis mmt-8 got a click out. you can select what ever time signature you want to send.
Thanks!

What exactly is required for a synth to be able to use this to reset its LFO? Does it require a specific dedicated input? Are there different ways?

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:19 pm

HUBA wrote:
novielo wrote:alesis mmt-8 got a click out. you can select what ever time signature you want to send.
Thanks!

What exactly is required for a synth to be able to use this to reset its LFO? Does it require a specific dedicated input? Are there different ways?
yes it does need a dedicated input. your synth to be feed by a +3v clock source. like on a modular, ms-20, analogue sequencer.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

HUBA

Post by HUBA » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:48 pm

OK I see. It says in its manual that the Waldorf Q has a CV input. Anybody know if this could be done with the Q?

Slickie

Post by Slickie » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:33 am

Yes modular equipment is best for this but some monos may have an LFO reset input as well....on my modular my envelopes (all 5), lfo, clock divider and sequencer all have resets in to retrigger. On the Q, which I used to have, it did indeed have a CV in which I recall jsut messing with once...not sure if a cv signal would work retriggering or not or if the Q gave that option...actually I think I used it to send an lfo signal in from my MS50 to modulate something ...and it worked...just not sure why you would wnat that on the Q so I never used it again....the Q had plently of everything for me...quite a nice synth.

HUBA

Post by HUBA » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:26 pm

Slickie wrote:Yes modular equipment is best for this but some monos may have an LFO reset input as well....on my modular my envelopes (all 5), lfo, clock divider and sequencer all have resets in to retrigger. On the Q, which I used to have, it did indeed have a CV in which I recall jsut messing with once...not sure if a cv signal would work retriggering or not or if the Q gave that option...actually I think I used it to send an lfo signal in from my MS50 to modulate something ...and it worked...just not sure why you would wnat that on the Q so I never used it again....the Q had plently of everything for me...quite a nice synth.
Well, that's interesting. If the LFO's on the Q can't reset that way, at least I could use a resetable clocked external LFO source that sends CV for modulating different parameters inside the Q?

If so, this should be possible on some vintage analog synths too, no?