Micromoog - $50 Craigslist!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
expermusic

Micromoog - $50 Craigslist!

Post by expermusic » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:39 am

Just had to share! I didn't think this was even possible anymore with ebay and online forums. The guy I bought it from said that it stopped making sound, but I looked down and realized that he had the oscillator bypassed. But, I thought he knew maybe something else besides that. Anyway, I brought it home, moved the knobs around, moved some switches, plugged it in and bwooommmmm Subbass. Pretty much everything works. Filter screams, the ribbon works, the osc->filter modulation is amazing, especially with the wide range of the oscillator. This is almost my best find ever besides my beloved (and gone) TR-808 for $50 back in '97.
The case is in pretty good condition, but it definitely needs work. Scratchy switches, Sample & Hold doesn't seem to work for some reason... at any rate, I'm putting this in the shop, and it'll be tiptop.

Does anyone know what I'll need to CV/Gate control this? It's got a weird connection on the back which I assume is some kind of gate control. Do I have to make an adapter or does someone still sell such a thing?
MFB Kraftzwerg, Euro Modular (w/ Noisering, Maths, Tame Machine, Doepfer A-143-9, A-154, A-155, A-160 so far) Nord Modular G2, Elektron SPS-1UW, Mini-kp, Novation Launchpad, NI Maschine, Novation Remote Zero SL MKii, Macbook Unibody 2.4

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Re: Micromoog - $50 Craigslist!

Post by EmptySet » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:42 am

expermusic wrote: Does anyone know what I'll need to CV/Gate control this? It's got a weird connection on the back which I assume is some kind of gate control. Do I have to make an adapter or does someone still sell such a thing?
Congrats! Amazing find. They're still out there, but are getting hard to find these days.

The weird connection… I'm going to guess: an s-trig?

http://www.synthesizers.com/gates.html

expermusic

Post by expermusic » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:20 pm

Thanks for that link. That company sells the exact cable I'd need for $27. Now, does anyone know scale is the micromoog's control voltage? Is it like a roland or like a korg? ie 1v/Oct or hz/volt...
MFB Kraftzwerg, Euro Modular (w/ Noisering, Maths, Tame Machine, Doepfer A-143-9, A-154, A-155, A-160 so far) Nord Modular G2, Elektron SPS-1UW, Mini-kp, Novation Launchpad, NI Maschine, Novation Remote Zero SL MKii, Macbook Unibody 2.4

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:47 pm

expermusic wrote:Thanks for that link. That company sells the exact cable I'd need for $27. Now, does anyone know scale is the micromoog's control voltage? Is it like a roland or like a korg? ie 1v/Oct or hz/volt...
AFAIK all moogs are 1v/Oct (actually Bob Moog pioneered/developed the Volt/Oct standard) - the difference between moog gates and Roland/Yamaha/Korg's is that the moog's are normally in a held positive state, ie +5v and drop to zero when a note is played, whereas all the other brands are normally at zero and can go from anything from +5v to +15v when a note is pressed or input to CV Gate - the voltage needed varies from model to model so check the specs of the unit before connecting stuff to it as you can cause damage depending on the compatibility of different equipment.

Have a look at this, it applies to the micromoog and has some really handy info;
http://www.synthesizers.com/moog_trigger-convert.jpg
expermusic wrote:...It's got a weird connection on the back which I assume is some kind of gate control.
BTW; S-trig is just the moog way of saying CV Gate input and that "weird connection" is known as a cinch-jones connector.

Edit: Just realised most of what I've said is in the link in the post above, oh well :D

Download the manual free here if you haven't already -

http://www.fantasyjackpalance.com/fjp/s ... eg-low.pdf

Oh and good find - bet it feels good to get a bargain on a vintage moog in these enlightened times =D>

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:46 pm

ok, I'll say it

this thread is useless without pictures!

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:34 pm

Great job on snapping that one up!

You paid less than I did for my Moog!

I guess the only way to get a better deal would be for free - I know a local guy who owns a pawn shop and he bought a house for his daughter. When they cleaned out the garage there was a Minimoog sitting in a corner hidden by a bunch of junk. He fired it up and it worked great!

expermusic

Post by expermusic » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:42 pm

IMG_0298.JPG

If that doesn't show up I'll have to wait until I get home from work...

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:57 pm

Not bad, man. That's just as good as free as far as I'm concerned. Anything Moog for next to nothing is a great deal. Download the service manual and owners manual. There are procedures for tuning, etc. Wish I found mine for 50 bucks...
I like vintage synths....

rjd2

Post by rjd2 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:02 pm

1-you can swap s-trig jack for 1/4" and convert right to what-IIRC-is a pos V trigger.

2-bad news on CV: the micro runs on .8V/oct, not 1v/oct. yes, its dumb. yes, you'd need to scale it down. the good news is that a simple circuit can be built and installed inside the unit to do this. the bad news is that you have to scale it w/ unit open, and build/solder the circuit into the machine. google it, i think bob actually drew up a schem specifically for this mod.

Arturo00
Gear: @}-,-`-
Band: Hard Science

Post by Arturo00 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:13 pm

Hybrid88 wrote: AFAIK all moogs are 1v/Oct (actually Bob Moog pioneered/developed the Volt/Oct standard)
FYI, the moog multimoog is actually 0.98 V/Oct. I know cos I have one...

I could be wrong, but I believe the micro is as well...
Haves: SCI Prophet 5 rev3.3 Moog Multimoog Roland Jupiter4, Juno60, RE201, SH101, TR707, TR808, TR909 Korg Polysix, Poly 800 II, Kaosillator Hammond L112, X5 w/ Leslie 760 Paia Fatman Casio VL-Tone, SK1 Gakken SX-150

expermusic

Post by expermusic » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:58 pm

Ok here it is:
Attachments
P6250703.jpg

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:01 am

Wow that one's in better shape than the one GC Hollywood wants $900 for :D

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:32 am

Arturo00 wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote: AFAIK all moogs are 1v/Oct (actually Bob Moog pioneered/developed the Volt/Oct standard)
FYI, the moog multimoog is actually 0.98 V/Oct. I know cos I have one...

I could be wrong, but I believe the micro is as well...
Interesting, I didn't know this. Are these two units meant to be different from the rest of the range, or do people just round it off at 1v for the sake of simplicity? I've read in numerous books that moog used 1v/Oct for all their stuff, anyway .98v is hardly too far from 1v to make any real difference anyway.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:23 pm

I remember when I had my micromoog open for some light cleaning/repair I was surprised at how little was in there. Someone ought to clone the circuit cards and make it a DIY project synth.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

expermusic

Post by expermusic » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:29 pm

Yeah, I doesn't weigh much either. I have yet to give it a good cleaning, but I can already see a large family of dust bunnies under the keys. It looks downright cavernous in there! I'm guessing this was to make it appear more significant? Who knows. So, does anyone think $60 per hour is a pretty fair rate for getting this thing repaired/worked over/calibrated? There's not too many synth techs around, but does anyone have a reccomendation in the Philadelphia area besides Cintiolis or Three Wave in North Jersey?