Synth used on intro of Little Red Corvette?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
chinchee

Synth used on intro of Little Red Corvette?

Post by chinchee » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:05 am

Anyone know what synth was used on the intro chords of Little Red Corvette by Prince? Also any other synths that were used in that song.

Thanks! :mrgreen:

Max Websta
Gear: Minimoog,Clavinet C, Oberheim OB-SX, Yamaha YC-45D,K2vx,Yamaha EX5, Ensoniq ASR 10,Chroma Polaris, Oberheim Dx,Tascam 388 and Tascam Sx-1Le,

Re: Synth used on intro of Little Red Corvette?

Post by Max Websta » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:08 am

More than likely an Oberheim OB-Xa. Prince was using OB's quite heavily during that time. He used everything from OB-X to the OB-8. Stevie Nicks says that she loved the chords of that song so much, that she wrote 'Stand Back''. Prince came in the studio wrote a synth part to the song and split!

CapnMarvel

Post by CapnMarvel » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:33 pm

The Oberheim OB-Xa was what I'd always heard it was. Prince was all about the Obie in those days...used the DMX extensively on all his albums of that period.

I think it was an OB-Xa shown in the video for that song, too. Behind which Wendy and Lisa are snogging all over each other.
Gear List: A bunch that go 'WHHONNGG!', several that go 'tweedle tweedle' and 'thumpity', and a few that don't make any noise at all but have lots of delightful little lights on them.

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:42 pm

The Linn was used more than the DMX. When Doves Cry is the legendary LinnDrum track!

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, μWave (x2), Roland JP6+V-Synth+S-220, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3+K-3m, ARP Odyssey+Omni2, Emulator II+HD, Ensoniq Mirage.

Post by calyx93 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:24 pm

CapnMarvel wrote:The Oberheim OB-Xa was what I'd always heard it was. Prince was all about the Obie in those days...used the DMX extensively on all his albums of that period.

I think it was an OB-Xa shown in the video for that song, too. Behind which Wendy and Lisa are snogging all over each other.
I believe you're thinking of the vid for 1999 in which Lisa Coleman and Jill Jones are playing an OB-SX (IIRC) together.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:21 pm

Sounds like an Oberheim to me, and I could sort of get similar tones out of the OP-X when I installed the demo. It's hard to tell the model of course, since Prince owned most of the Oberheim models of the time and apparently also the Memorymoog and Jupiter 8 as well. I checked out what Per Nilsen had written about the song's recording process in his book "DMSR" (it contains a lot of die-hard fan trivia stuff), and whilst there are no mentions of what was used in there, it says that the song was recorded basically in a day-and-a-half at his home studio that he'd just set up and started working on "1999" instantly after it.

Knowing that he most likely had his gear spread over various locations and also some of his sideproject bands utilized stuff that he'd actually bought them, it could be just about anything in the end. The song "1999" does nevertheless use an Oberheim on it, but the synth chords are layered and could have other synths in there as well. As far as I know, Prince often used to play different inversions / variations of the chords on different keyboards to get that sound.

As far as I know Prince didn't use the DMX much (if at all). After he started moving away from Linn (he used the LM-1 more than the other versions), he switched over to Fairlight and another sampling system whose manufacturer and model eludes me at this point. It was somewhat unpopular item though, and rackable most likely. Anyone?

veer chasm

Post by veer chasm » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:54 pm

Besides the Oberheims I believe I read that he would layer a lot of Solina and Farfisa stuff. The opening strings sound like there might be a string machine, the chord stabs later in the song sound alot like Farfisa organ as well as said OBerheims.
Past&Present: Moog LP2 SE, Akai AX60, Nord Lead 2X/Rack, Roland Juno 106/JX8P/JX3P/Jupiter 6/Juno 60/HS60/D50, Alesis Ion/MMT8/SR18, Korg DS10
Oberheim Matrix 6R/OB8, Yamaha TG33/PF10, Ensoniq ASR10, Waldorf MicroQ, Peavey DPM SP/SX, Kurzweil k2000S

FrankieMusic

Post by FrankieMusic » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:24 am

maindeglorie wrote:When Doves Cry is the legendary LinnDrum track!
Actually, it's a Linn LM-1 Drum Computer. I know because I can create the exact sounding rhythm track on mine.