Moog Taurus III picture

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Re: Moog Taurus III picture

Post by Neonlights84 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:00 am

polardark wrote:
Neonlights84 wrote:Are there concrete differences between these machines and other Moog products, past and preset?
Assuming the Moog Taurus III synthesizer architecture is based on the first Taurus, it is indeed a unique synthesizer with a unique sound. The oscillators are nothing special but the filters and vca and envelopes are unique.

In what way? I guess i'm just tring to wrap my head around the concept of it. I am aware that you play it with you feet, thusly freeing up your hands. But when i hear people say "the best bottom end bass ever", i must know why. Why would someone spend so much money on a pretty limited synth?

If it IS the best bass ever, why would that be? Wouldn't the Minimoog be able to do what a taurus can (outside of the feet playing aspect?)
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:45 am

Neonlights84 wrote:Are there concrete differences between these machines and other Moog products, past and preset?
:lol:

Can't wait to hear some demos, tuba arpeggios here we come!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:56 pm

I've never read a definitive explanation, but the Taurus certainly has a very distinctive and unique sound. It sounds kind of compressed. So I can only guess that the VCA is doing something unusual.

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:37 pm

A rack version of the Taurus would be heaven. But this bull looks beautiful. Good on Moog.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

Airlock

Post by Airlock » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:47 am

madtheory wrote:I've never read a definitive explanation, but the Taurus certainly has a very distinctive and unique sound. It sounds kind of compressed. So I can only guess that the VCA is doing something unusual.
Good ear: the following is snipped from http://www.retrosynth.com/~analoguedieh ... og_taurus/

"So why do Taurus pedals sound so big? One answer is the coupling between the VCF and the VCA. The service manual states that the AC coupling between the VCF and VCA was designed so that the RC product would increase the bass at a corner frequency of 20hz. There is a bass boost built into the Taurus pedals! "

And:

"The other element of the bigness of Taurus I pedals is that the filter is driven pretty hard. If you scope the output you can see the distortion in the waveshape. This changes the timbre to the point that the fundamental is emphasized. This also introduces a compression effect via overdriving the filter. This is why Taurus I pedals do not suffer from phase cancellation of dual detuned VCOs as the timbre animation cycles around."

(Props to Retrosynth)

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:13 am

it is freaking gorgeous...if nothing else it will become a design cult classic (granted, maybe not for its ergonomics...). and if it sounds as good as it looks, wow.

bravo moog for even doing it.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:19 pm

Airlock wrote:
madtheory wrote:I've never read a definitive explanation, but the Taurus certainly has a very distinctive and unique sound. It sounds kind of compressed. So I can only guess that the VCA is doing something unusual.
Good ear: the following is snipped from http://www.retrosynth.com/~analoguedieh ... og_taurus/
Thanks!! :)

factorplayer
Gear: Korg MS2000
Roland SH-32
Roland Juno-60
Taurus 3!

Post by factorplayer » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:09 am

I am definitely tempted to make a move on one if it ever shows up at the local shop here... they say they have one coming but who knows when it will show?

SubliminalEffect

Post by SubliminalEffect » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:07 am

attached is a photo of one of the new Moog Taurus 3 on display at the Moog booth at NAMM 2010.
Attachments
IMG_0236.jpg
Moog Taurus 3 at Moog booth at NAMM 2010

Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:58 am

It would be nice if they would make it so the UI could detach and be used remotely. That way one could set the controls on top of their Rhodes Mk VII and modify the patch while playing and without bending over. ;)

Either way, I'm looking forward to when these things start showing up on the used market!
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45