The search is over...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
jcn7
Gear: K2500, Vsynth, Karp, Prophecy, Volcas, Monotribes, Oasys PCI, Oberheim Matrix, SEMs, Nord Drums, Microbrute, Yamaha EX5R, + multiple Euro modulars.

The search is over...

Post by jcn7 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:45 am

I feel so blessed! I just purchased a Korg MS20 AND MS50 that basically looks brand new...and I am completely amazed by how versatile and how great this combo really is. I've owned so many of the analog legends in my days, but I can honestly say now that this small but powerful package gives me the sound and creative outlet that I have search for in many o' synths. Maybe it's just me, but I think each person has their own style of working and sound that they are looking for, and this just happens to fit me. I also think they look ultra cool together when stacked...very vintage! Anyway, just wanted to share my joy! Thanks to God to allow me to have this, to Korg who made it, and to the seller who sold it. Now off to sell a few items to help pay for it. Jaime

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Re: The search is over...

Post by shaft9000 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:46 am

congrats - nothing beats the exuberance of finding that one instrument (or pair in this case) that just fits like an old glove...so natural and boosts creativity that extra bit
i felt a similar way w/ my LP tribute the more I used it, and also at times that way about the A6, 2600 and ms2000
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:47 am

I've never been a big MS-20 fan, but I have to admit that the MS-20-MS-50 combo is absolutely fantastic. I ended up selling mine to buy a dot com system, which I don't entirely regret, but I do miss the compact, fun, and nice sounding combo that is the 20/50.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:30 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I've never been a big MS-20 fan...
Nice one Marc, keep talking down the MS 20 and talking up the CS-15 until I can find someone who'll do a straight swap with me. ;)

japan

Post by japan » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:46 am

Congratulations, without a doubt it's a killer combo.
"the simple life is no longer there..."

chiasticon

Post by chiasticon » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:57 am

congrats on the combo purchase. i love the ms20. it's one of the few synths i've ever owned that 1) feels like "home" 2) i can get lost in the same sound, playing lines over and over again just to hear it 3) i enjoy every single time i use it 4) will have to be pulled from my cold, dead hands.

gainsay: your ms20 vids reassured me that purchasing mine was a good move and helped me figure it out before it showed up. sad to hear you're not a fan of it.

would love to have a 50 some day too. but a 20 with the moog cp251 is amazing as well.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:09 am

I would kill for an MS50 to go with my ms20
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

jcn7
Gear: K2500, Vsynth, Karp, Prophecy, Volcas, Monotribes, Oasys PCI, Oberheim Matrix, SEMs, Nord Drums, Microbrute, Yamaha EX5R, + multiple Euro modulars.

Post by jcn7 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:29 am

Hey Joey, I will definitely say that an MS-50 coupled with the MS-20 really is amazing! I also know that they are so very expensive. I happen to find both of these together in mint condition at a price that I couldn't pass up. Hence now I am again selling a few items on ebay (see my post in items for sale here on VSE) to help cover the cost. Anyway, I think I'm done searching for my "soul mate" synth...i just found it, or better yet, them. Jaime

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:19 pm

chiasticon wrote:gainsay: your ms20 vids reassured me that purchasing mine was a good move and helped me figure it out before it showed up. sad to hear you're not a fan of it.

would love to have a 50 some day too. but a 20 with the moog cp251 is amazing as well.
I'm glad that the videos reassured you... thanks for watching! It's a great synth to suit a lot of people's needs, and it definitely has a desirable sound. My not liking it isn't really not liking it, it's just that it doesn't do what it should for looking semi-modular! Also, it's too "modern" sounding for me. However, those are just my things... it's a great synth for a lot of people.

CP251 isn't going to work as well with the MS-50 as you might like due to the volts per octave/hz per volt issue in regard to pitch.

Stab: I'll continue my campaign! Wait, do you have a CS-15? I don't think I knew that.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

jcn7

Post by jcn7 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:48 pm

Hey AG, I also would like to thank you for not only the MS20 Videos, but also all of your ones as well...always very enlightening. I'm not sure that the MS20 by itself would have made the connection I find with it unless I also had the MS50 to be honest. I think that is is this particular combination that really clicks with me. Now I would love to find an SQ10 to go along with these. Anyway, for me I really do think that after finding these two, that my gear lust has finally ended...honest! I really am content...of course I still have a Moog LP TE with a bunch of moogerfoogers as well as an MP201 and CP251 to go along with them, and the FR XS and orb are amazing, not to mention my pair of Korg Polysix and Monopoly, and last but not least my Korg PM units...the Z1 and Wavedrum-X. No more gear lust...(time will tell). Jaime

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:54 pm

jcn7 wrote:I feel so blessed! I just purchased a Korg MS20 AND MS50 that basically looks brand new...and I am completely amazed by how versatile and how great this combo really is. I've owned so many of the analog legends in my days, but I can honestly say now that this small but powerful package gives me the sound and creative outlet that I have search for in many o' synths. Maybe it's just me, but I think each person has their own style of working and sound that they are looking for, and this just happens to fit me. I also think they look ultra cool together when stacked...very vintage! Anyway, just wanted to share my joy! Thanks to God to allow me to have this, to Korg who made it, and to the seller who sold it. Now off to sell a few items to help pay for it. Jaime
So what are you selling ?
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

jcn7

Post by jcn7 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:02 pm

Here is the link here @ VSE for the items I am selling:http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... 87#p549965

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:40 pm

Thanks for the link .
Alas I stopped doing ebay buys as I have lost 99% of them over the years to " trust fund collector kids "

Man I wish my mom & dad left me a bunch of money so I could buy up a room full of vintage gear and in turn inflate the value of said gear that I only use to make horrible trance videos for youtube with
:lol: :shock: :oops: :roll: :?

Sorry ... not meant toward anyone in particular here just venting .
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:56 pm

Sort of an aside here that might be of interest to any MS-10/20/50 owners. Old paia modular gear is HZ/volt as well and usually isn't very expensive, so that could be cheap way to expand the capabilties of your gear. You would be looking for the 2700, 4700 modules.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:53 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Stab: I'll continue my campaign! Wait, do you have a CS-15? I don't think I knew that.
I do, so now you you know.