The search is over...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
jeeroj
Gear: sh-101, x0xb0x(x2), tr-606, korg es-1, half dead mc-303 and some boss micro racks

Re: The search is over...

Post by jeeroj » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:00 pm

i just spent all afternoon watching this guys videos after reading this thread. simply fantastic!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Newueel
Debut Album out now jeeroj - Selected Acid Works 08-11
check the review HERE first

Denms20
Gear: Korg MS-20, CX-3, SP 100, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Hammond CV, M3, S-6,L-100 Rhodes , Wurly, D-6 clav, Yamaha TX-7, Crumar T-1, Casio CZ-101

Post by Denms20 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:23 pm

jcn7 wrote: Now I would love to find an SQ10 to go along with these.
I never had a 50, but at one time I had the MS10, 20, and SQ10. There didn't seem to be much I couldn't cover with the two of them. My favorite used to be to progran a sequence in the SQ10, run the clock all the way up, then run it into the S&H of the MS20, then run that into the MS10 with a nice bass patch on PWM slowly LFOing. I could still be playing leads on the 20, and I had a random bass line that only picked out of the notes I wanted. I also found the SQ10 made a real cool lfo, you could adjust the waves using the knobs on the SQ10. I remember using it as a real complicated envelope generator too. THat's one of many things (sq10) I regret selling.
Hammond CV, M3, s6, Korg MS-20, SP-100, CX-3, Hohner D-6, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Yamaha Tx7, Casio CZ101, Rhodes, Crumar T1
http://www.organdenstudio.com

chiasticon

Post by chiasticon » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:52 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I'm glad that the videos reassured you... thanks for watching! It's a great synth to suit a lot of people's needs, and it definitely has a desirable sound. My not liking it isn't really not liking it, it's just that it doesn't do what it should for looking semi-modular! Also, it's too "modern" sounding for me. However, those are just my things... it's a great synth for a lot of people.

CP251 isn't going to work as well with the MS-50 as you might like due to the volts per octave/hz per volt issue in regard to pitch.
oh i know the cp251 isn't ideal. it's mainly useful for the multiple and the mixers. so you can do something like, i dunno, mix the friggin noise level! (of course, you can use the external input path for this too.) also, it's nice to have an extra lfo there as well as some lag processing, etc. it gets a BIT hairy when you're trying to do something like mod osc2 independent of osc1, but it is possible to make that work even.

i agree that it has a very defined sound. i wouldn't call it particularly warm or round. nothing like a minimoog or a roland sh, for example. it's a little more "electronic" sounding. if that makes any sense. and yea, it's not really semi-modular. it's like your video says; korg just got lazy and said "lets slap some jacks on and let them figure it out." but that makes it more fun and a bit more interesting/surprising to work with. and the "screaming" filter...ugh! love it! love the filter versatility as well; combining the two can get you to fit right where you need to in a mix; or it can really surprise you.

also, your 2600 vids did nothing to quench my lust for one. luckily, that too has been satisfied :D

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:42 pm

i have a homemade cv splitter / merger for that. my roommate built it. sorry for the bad pics :oops:

4 jacks mixer input, very right one inverted

4 jacks splitter output, very right one inverted

jack and poti for splitter input, jack and poti for mixer output.

no big deal, but a lot of fun with my ms20 and 10. i never use the 10 alone... and then even simple stuff like vibrato needs a splitter. i want another one in the style of a matrix mixer