A self-circuit bending Ensoniq ESQ-1?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ensoniqphreak
Gear: A stick ter bang on a holler log. Its all ye need fer musik. Gerd musik. And purdy cheap ter boot. No really though: see my sig.
Band: The Cotton Progressives

A self-circuit bending Ensoniq ESQ-1?

Post by ensoniqphreak » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:11 am

My Ensoniq ESQ-1 started demonstrating some quirks recently that--while expected becuase of the machines age--make me second guess my plans to repair the power-supply and replace the faulty chip on the main board (I have an early serial number, OS. 2.0) The reason for my heistation is that I have fallen in LOVE with this machines misbehavior. Essentially my pitch bend wheel settings now allow (at a minimum) a 48th above or below the fundamental, at the maximum fluxuates within the 60-67 range. It makes for some *unreal* sounds (especially in the newly opened lower ranges) that I worry I could lose forever if I so much as *reinitalize* this dinosaur, much less go under her hood and fix her up, much as I *ache* to do so. What do y'all think? Sounds/ vids will be forthcoming!

-eSP
Spencer Musick (my real last name if youll believe it)

Gear: Yamaha DX7, Roland Juno-6, Ensoniq ESQ-1, CZ-101. VAs: Korg Legacy Collection, DAhornet, Omaha, SQ-8L, Arppe 2600.

stikygum

Re: A self-circuit bending Ensoniq ESQ-1?

Post by stikygum » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:40 am

...Don't fix what's not broken....

If you are liking what it offers you, then why change it only for the sake of having a perfect working one. It depends if you really want it to be locked in key. If not, no need to fix it. I think sometimes, synths that misbehave can be kind of cool to use, kind of like a battery dying in a guitar pedal, you get magical sound from it that it won't make if it's not dying.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

Synthazaiser
Gear: B3, CP-30, DX7, Casiotone MT-210, Axxe 1, EPS-1, Promars, MC-202, TR-606

Post by Synthazaiser » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:09 pm

My esq-m had that same problem with the pitch-bend amount.
Currently have: Baby Grand Piano, B3, CP-30, DX7, Casiotone MT-210, Axxe 1, EPS-1, Promars, MC-202, TR-606
Used to have: POLY-800, TR-505, Techstar TS-306, DX7, ESI-32, Juno-106, DX27, Synthcart, JX-3P, ESQ-M, Mono/Poly, MS2000BR, VX90

ensoniqphreak
Gear: A stick ter bang on a holler log. Its all ye need fer musik. Gerd musik. And purdy cheap ter boot. No really though: see my sig.
Band: The Cotton Progressives

Post by ensoniqphreak » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:57 am

All of these machines seem to be developing quirks in thier golden years. I dont plan to open the hood until it stops powering up, which I assume will happen at some point. The expanded pitch bend range is too sick to make fixing her now an option. I wonder if it is power-supply related or indicates a mainboard issue? I have power-supply woes already (occasionaly decides it doesnt want to boot, but i pray and it seems to start working again every time) but only in intermittent bouts. The rest of the OS seems too operational to indicate a serious mainboard problem, perhaps it is just isolated to the U22 chip. Ensoniq ESQ-1's are finiky little monsters but worth the trouble... even thier misbehavior has an organic and other-worldy quality to it......
Spencer Musick (my real last name if youll believe it)

Gear: Yamaha DX7, Roland Juno-6, Ensoniq ESQ-1, CZ-101. VAs: Korg Legacy Collection, DAhornet, Omaha, SQ-8L, Arppe 2600.

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:46 pm

any chance of some videos and/or sounds? i've recently purchased an sq-80, and am thinking about picking up an esq-1 if i like the feel of the 80...so i would love to see what its capable of possibly doing on its own some day!

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular