Studio Electronics ATC-Xi demos forthcoming

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
stikygum

Studio Electronics ATC-Xi demos forthcoming

Post by stikygum » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:02 am

.... Well. I remember a while back there were quite a few people interested in hearing ATC-X(i) demos. It's been a while (having forgotten about this), but I'm going to posting some demos of this guy. I was looking for the ATC-Xi thread that was once started, but I think it might have been deleted. I still found a bunch of posts from that thread using the search engine (so it's good to know you can still search deleted threads). This thing has been a staple for me in my studio, so I thought I'd demonstrate the magic that this company has come up with.

Anyways, what would you guys like to hear. I'm guessing how punchy the bass can get on the ATC-Xi version with both amps. Arps and leads. Drones. Wacky FX stuff.... Sounds through outboard fx... Any requests?

Demos forthcoming -

"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

aeon

Re: Studio Electronics ATC-Xi demos forthcoming

Post by aeon » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:17 pm

Bass
Leads
Arps
Drones

In that order. *No* use of any external processing whatsoever - dry as a bone. Multiple filter use would be welcome, but even more so a demonstration of the shading of the discrete analog distortion.

That said, a demo of the bandpass response for pad-like sounds would be great.

Demonstration of the envelope response in terms of attack would also be very welcome, especially for bass snap attack when being driven by 16th notes at ~140bpm.

A sampling of the Source-style vs. discrete Mini-style VCA would be nice.

Thank you so much for this - it is most appreciated and anticipated by me because this is one of the few synths I have any GAS for.

Also, I would very much value the demos being in .wav format if possible.

cheers,
Ian

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:37 pm

I have the ATC-x and I love it. I bought it and the SE-1x at the same time with the intention of finding the best rack replacement for my Moog Voyager (since I don't like taking the Voyager on the road). I fully expected the SE-1x to win and to send the ATC-x back, but the ATC-x has a sound of its own and is so much fun. It quickly became one of my favorite synths. The basses are deeper and thicker than the SE-1x (imo) and due to the built-in ring modulator (the state of which is saved per patch) and the analog overdrive (ditto), it can do some nasty, grungy sounds as well as sounds that have a very beautiful harmonic sheen and motion to them.

Of the four filters, the ARP is a surprise and probably my favorite. In fact, in the Listening Lounge, I posted a song that uses a patch from the Moog filter bank in a repeating sequence but I used the ARP filter instead. At one point you can hear me switch in the ring modulator (which actually causes an audible click, but I edited that out via Cubase's waveform sample editor).

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =8&t=52503

Most of that song is the ATC-x with the exception of the string pad (which is the Wavestation) and a few other background sounds. All the various bleeps and bloops were made by holding down a key and cycling through the ATC-x presets! :) The bass sequence is the ARP filter as mentioned above.

If Studio Electronics made the ATC-X(i) as a keyboard, I'd buy one in a second.

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:53 am

Nice track! Can definitely tell and hear the ATC the minute I turned it on.

Ok, so I think I'll post this in segments to kind of get people warmed up. I think I'll start with leads (unless someone wants me to work on another category) first and then post seperate clips of each of the other categories later.

When I post the basses, I'll demonstrate the 2 VCAs. I also make sure I have use of altering the envelope for slow vs. fast. I'll try to do something similar for leads.

I'll try to touch as many areas as I can. But I'll spread out my posts in segments to give time for each category to sink in. Plus anticipation is fun.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:56 am

stikygum wrote:.... Well. I remember a while back there were quite a few people interested in hearing ATC-X(i) demos.
hehehe, yeah i was one of those people. got to play with a regular ATC-X for a while, in the meantime. it was beautiful and.. slow.

so, obviously i wann hear how punchy can ATC-Xi get in a typical moog bass line situation with moog filter set with classic exp envelope (a=0, decay=med short, sus=0, rel=o) , and also with plinky plonky style sounds done with arpeggiator doin fast bpm, moog, or ob filter or whatever..

and changin resonance, filter and filter env intensity whilst running these lines (u can do a section with higher resonance on OB filter in BP, with env intensity to zero, so that the filter tweak is smooth over a fast sequence)

some analog drum, dive bomb with self osc filter etc.

difference btwn envelopes vcas etc

thanks man. i knew you would remember one day ;) :mrgreen:

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:17 am

Hey, I remembered again, almost a month later now :lol:

Ok, this will happen and I will get those demos on here... Just not til after Christmas :mrgreen: More preoccupation than I anticipated this time of year.

ix studio

Post by ix studio » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:41 pm

can i ask if the newer atc-x sounds better than the old mk1 ? i read some people prefer the mark 1 atc-1 ? wondered why ?