I need help figuring out the synths this guy uses

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Savitar

I need help figuring out the synths this guy uses

Post by Savitar » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:46 am

http://www.myspace.com/2emedanger

been digging this guy's work a lot. Listen to a few of the songs and see if you can't pick out some of the sounds he produces and put a synthesizer/drum machine to them. Thanks! :lol:

Savitar

Re: I need help figuring out the synths this guy uses

Post by Savitar » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:11 pm

I'm sure he uses some VSTs and what not, but a lot of his tones are so warm I figure they have to come from some nice equipment. Anyone?

Savitar

Post by Savitar » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:15 pm

no one?

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:38 pm

As much processing as goes on in productions like that artist, it wouldn't be easy to distinguish what's outboard and what isn't, except for maybe some of those basses. Maybe you could contact the artist and ask?

P.S. That side-chained "pumping" compression thing everybody does now, bugs the s**t outta me. :twisted:
It's like something bad turbulence in an aircraft would do to your hearing if the plane was being j**k around by the snare drum.
Last edited by Solderman on Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Savitar

Post by Savitar » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:39 pm

Could you go more into that aspect? I'm really interested with the crazy syncopation he's got going on. How would one learn more about producing this kind of stuff?

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:41 pm

Sorry not a clue. If I knew how to produce properly, I would probably be afraid to divulge my secrets. :)
I once asked people on an EM forum "How do you do that?", and more than half the members couldn't remember, either conveniently so, or genuinely.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Savitar

Post by Savitar » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:48 pm

It kind of blows my mind how well produced it is. Sure the sound isn't for everyone, but there is so much syncopation going on here. The guy obviously knew every second of the way what he wanted. Impressive.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:52 am

Solderman wrote:As much processing as goes on in productions like that artist, it wouldn't be easy to distinguish what's outboard and what isn't, except for maybe some of those basses. Maybe you could contact the artist and ask?

P.S. That side-chained "pumping" compression thing everybody does now, bugs the s**t outta me. :twisted:
It's like something bad turbulence in an aircraft would do to your hearing if the plane was being j**k around by the snare drum.
I have never been a fan of compression, especially when it is over-used.

I once read an interview with Alan Parsons and he claimed to use no xompression ar all - zero!

On the original question, on "7:45" part of it sounds like Nanoloop to me.

Savitar

Post by Savitar » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:08 am

What exactly do you mean by side-chain "pumping" compression?

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:20 am

I thought that compression technique was just some weird thing that Sirius/XM was doing with their "dance" stations, but I just it's actually the new "en vouge" thing to do like auto-tuning. All those songs are going to sound dated once that fad is over.

And, yes, it annoys me, too - gives me headaches when I flip to those stations.

@Savitar - Side Chaining is the use of an external signal to affect the level of a compressor. The most common use is a technique called "ducking" where an audio backtrack is set at a certain level and automatically "ducks" or loses gain when an announcer speaks over the music bed. Appearently, dance producers are feeding a kick drum signal to a compressor to produce a rhythmic audio "pulse".
Last edited by Z on Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

sensorium

Post by sensorium » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:24 am

Song 07:46 = DX7 on the midbass line at the beginning. The electric piano sound. I think the preset is called Tines?

Savitar

Post by Savitar » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:37 am

Also, if anyone wants to take a stab at this guy's work. Might be a little easier: http://www.myspace.com/0data0

Any place for learning techniques for this kind of music? Thanks for all the help so far!

skweeegor

Post by skweeegor » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:37 am

Look up sidechain tutorial on youtube. You should be able to find something for your DAW. It's really not that hard to get the basic effect down.

guillermotin

Post by guillermotin » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:52 pm

Sidechain compression is sort of a basic technique in electronic music these days.

It is basically done by using a compressor that takes signal from two audio sources at the same time, where one of the channels becomes the "source" and the other the "target". Usually, the kickdrum is used as source, so it triggers the sidechain compressor causing the bass or the pads (target) to "kneel before him". The compressor makes it sure that there are no gaps between the two sounds, so everytime the kickdrum hits the targets will be lowered down automatically, hence the pumping effect.

And yes, it's being overused. :?

Again, youtube is a good place to look for:

Savitar

Post by Savitar » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:26 pm

Might be overused, but it sounds pretty cool here.

The whole reason I'm really asking is because I'm saving to buy a new synth and want something that can, among many things, create works like this. I have a voyager, and was thinking of getting an Alesis Andromeda A6, then some day a MS-20. I'm also interested in a TB-303 and TR-808/909. Anyway, if anyone can pick out some more tones or thinks that the A6 could handle it, let me know.

Also, if there are any other techniques present that I should look into, let me know.