AN1x demo....finally

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

AN1x demo....finally

Post by ryryoftokyo » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:31 pm

Enjoy my stupid face and lovely synthesizer.

This is why I love this board...it's a monster.

Thoughts?
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: AN1x demo....finally

Post by D-Collector » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:00 pm

Although the patches sound interesting, the recording is too distorted for me to enjoy it. :?

I tried downloading the medium quality (35mb) clip too but it was just as distorted as watching on the website.

ryryoftokyo

Post by ryryoftokyo » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:05 pm

D-Collector wrote:Although the patches sound interesting, the recording is too distorted for me to enjoy it. :?

I tried downloading the medium quality (35mb) clip too but it was just as distorted as watching on the website.
That's the patches themselves for the most part...archive kind of screwed it up a bit.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

MarcinP78

Post by MarcinP78 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:59 pm

I don't intend to be mean or attack you in any way, just honest thoughts that I hope is what you're after. These sounds are not very good, they are harsh and unpleasant to listen to. I can't imagine any enjoyable track based on these patches. There is a possibility that at this moment you don't quite understand what synthesizers are about. The internet is full of people who perpetuate the myth of 'badass, mean synth sound' - it's so easy to fall for it.

HUBA

Post by HUBA » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:11 pm

I think most of it would sound fabulous if it wasn't distorted to death

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:33 am

I think it sounds like a giant massive distorted guitar. What more does one need in a synth? I love it. Yeah its a bit over amplified or something though which doesn't allow for some the more intricate sounds to shine through as lovely which I know the AN1X is very capable of too. Those are a couple of the reasons I keep mine around, expressiveness and the quality of every nuance that comes out of it. Plus, got to love the arp on it.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:46 pm

MarcinP78 wrote:There is a possibility that at this moment you don't quite understand what synthesizers are about. The internet is full of people who perpetuate the myth of 'badass, mean synth sound' - it's so easy to fall for it.
So what exactly are synthesizers about? Also it seems to me that the vast majority of online synth demos are either acid house, berlin school, or consist of bearded guys blasting through Bach preludes. I haven't seen that many "badass mean synth demo's." Nobody creates patches like these as an attempt to deceive others. This isn't the perpetuating of a myth, its an aural aesthetic that some people find pleasing. Synths have been used by everyone ranging from Merzbow to John Tesh and while I may not like one of them, I don't make the claim that their doing it wrong.

The audio and video quality really do hurt this demo, and I don't understand why the OP didn't just use the line in on his pc rather than a crappy webcam. Video isn't really necessary for these sorts of things, and I'd rather have decent audio and no video, than bad audio coupled with bad video. Also I'm pretty sure the OP mentioned he played Grindcore, so I can imagine that these kind of patches would be fitting for that genre.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

sensorium

Post by sensorium » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:15 pm

"This little beast is a minimoog, jupiter 8, dx-7, prophet 5, 2600, and polysix rolled into one"

To make this comment, I have to assume you haven't actually played any of the above synths. I have an AN1X, and I do own or have owned all of the above synths (except the 2600). They AN1X is nothing like any of the above synths.

These patches sound like any 80's Casio keyboard plugged into any Metasonix pedal.

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:25 pm

MarcinP78 wrote:These sounds are not very good, they are harsh and unpleasant to listen to.
I agree, they sound bloody awful. You haven't done the synth any favours. May as well pull my AN1X for sale advert as I've no chance of selling mine on here whilst this thread exists.

MarcinP78

Post by MarcinP78 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:45 pm

So what exactly are synthesizers about?
Everyone has to discover it for themselves. It will take a long way to convince me that turd is gold because X or Y did it. I don't think music is infinitely subjective. There are some objective limits that define good music. Common sense and self criticism are good friends to have. Even making noise requires some thought and skill in order to achieve something listenable.

If I make a demo of myself mercilessly overblowing a recorder and put it on the woodwinds forum, will they call it 'cool stuff'? I don't think so.

HUBA

Post by HUBA » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:10 pm

nuketifromorbit wrote:
MarcinP78 wrote:There is a possibility that at this moment you don't quite understand what synthesizers are about. The internet is full of people who perpetuate the myth of 'badass, mean synth sound' - it's so easy to fall for it.
So what exactly are synthesizers about? Also it seems to me that the vast majority of online synth demos are either acid house, berlin school, or consist of bearded guys blasting through Bach preludes. I haven't seen that many "badass mean synth demo's." Nobody creates patches like these as an attempt to deceive others. This isn't the perpetuating of a myth, its an aural aesthetic that some people find pleasing. Synths have been used by everyone ranging from Merzbow to John Tesh and while I may not like one of them, I don't make the claim that their doing it wrong.

The audio and video quality really do hurt this demo, and I don't understand why the OP didn't just use the line in on his pc rather than a crappy webcam. Video isn't really necessary for these sorts of things, and I'd rather have decent audio and no video, than bad audio coupled with bad video. Also I'm pretty sure the OP mentioned he played Grindcore, so I can imagine that these kind of patches would be fitting for that genre.
+1
JMP wrote:May as well pull my AN1X for sale advert as I've no chance of selling mine on here whilst this thread exists.
Aren't you being a little dramatic? Some of you guys are starting to take these things a little bit too serious. If these sounds are doable without audible distortion I'd be happy to take it off your hands. Then you'd avoid the pain of trying to sell it. After all, now because of this thread , it's obviously worthless. Duh!

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:40 pm

HUBA wrote: After all, now because of this thread , it's obviously worthless. Duh!
Now who's being dramatic? It's a joke to make a point that the demo, as I said earlier, does the synth no favours. Quite the opposite IMO.

ryryoftokyo

Post by ryryoftokyo » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:22 pm

MarcinP78 wrote:I don't intend to be mean or attack you in any way, just honest thoughts that I hope is what you're after. These sounds are not very good, they are harsh and unpleasant to listen to. I can't imagine any enjoyable track based on these patches. There is a possibility that at this moment you don't quite understand what synthesizers are about. The internet is full of people who perpetuate the myth of 'badass, mean synth sound' - it's so easy to fall for it.
Wow...that was sort of rude and stupid...who the f**k are you to assume I don't know what synthesizers are all about? Arrogant j**ka**...

ryryoftokyo

Post by ryryoftokyo » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:24 pm

sensorium wrote:"This little beast is a minimoog, jupiter 8, dx-7, prophet 5, 2600, and polysix rolled into one"

To make this comment, I have to assume you haven't actually played any of the above synths. I have an AN1X, and I do own or have owned all of the above synths (except the 2600). They AN1X is nothing like any of the above synths.

These patches sound like any 80's Casio keyboard plugged into any Metasonix pedal.
played and owned all of the above...what's your next stupid assumption?

ryryoftokyo

Post by ryryoftokyo » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:28 pm

nuketifromorbit wrote:

ha...I like that you've noted Merzbow...I think you got it.

I did the line in on the PC...in retrospect, not the best idea...it wasn't that bad before it got to archive...sucks, really.

But yeah, I play grindcore and harshnoise...that's where these patches fit. +1 for you for not being a huge jackoff who would rather hear some generic acid house demo that you can find 1000 times on any given website.

I want to try and break out the recording gear and do another demo that's a bit more clear. But to be honest, it's still going to be very distorted simply because all the patches themselves are.