AN1x demo....finally

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: AN1x demo....finally

Post by Yoozer » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:38 pm

ryryoftokyo wrote:archive
Why use that when you've got (easier, faster, embeddable) Youtube?
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

sensorium

Post by sensorium » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:45 pm

ryryoftokyo wrote:
sensorium wrote:"This little beast is a minimoog, jupiter 8, dx-7, prophet 5, 2600, and polysix rolled into one"

To make this comment, I have to assume you haven't actually played any of the above synths. I have an AN1X, and I do own or have owned all of the above synths (except the 2600). They AN1X is nothing like any of the above synths.

These patches sound like any 80's Casio keyboard plugged into any Metasonix pedal.
played and owned all of the above...what's your next stupid assumption?

You've owned a Minimoog, Jupiter 8, DX-7, Prophet 5, and an Arp 2600, but you landed on the AN1X as the holy grail that covers all of those bases? My next "stupid assumption" is that you are full of s**t.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:38 am

Wow, this has turned unpleasant...
MarcinP78 wrote:I don't intend to be mean or attack you in any way, just honest thoughts that I hope is what you're after. These sounds are not very good, they are harsh and unpleasant to listen to. I can't imagine any enjoyable track based on these patches. There is a possibility that at this moment you don't quite understand what synthesizers are about. The internet is full of people who perpetuate the myth of 'badass, mean synth sound' - it's so easy to fall for it.
I also think that was an arrogant statement, even if that may not be the intention. For all we know it is archive that does the real damage.

-->ryryoftokyo, I have nothing against sounds that are unusual, but I would really like to hear what they really sound like instead of on some website that compresses it to h**l. Maybe if you recorded a audio-only clip and put up for download, we could get a better idea.

Seems to me this thread will separate people who like circuit bending from those who don't :lol:

Btw guys, Jexus also make videos with a lot of intentionally harsh and distorted sounds... :shock:

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:35 am

D-Collector wrote:-->ryryoftokyo, I have nothing against sounds that are unusual, but I would really like to hear what they really sound like instead of on some website that compresses it to h**l. Maybe if you recorded a audio-only clip and put up for download, we could get a better idea.
Seconded. It sounds like they've been sampled at 11KHz. Which is a shame; there's more than few patches in there I'd like to hear properly.

44KHz stereo goodness, please!! :mrgreen:

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:10 am

sensorium wrote:
ryryoftokyo wrote:
sensorium wrote:"This little beast is a minimoog, jupiter 8, dx-7, prophet 5, 2600, and polysix rolled into one"

To make this comment, I have to assume you haven't actually played any of the above synths. I have an AN1X, and I do own or have owned all of the above synths (except the 2600). They AN1X is nothing like any of the above synths.

These patches sound like any 80's Casio keyboard plugged into any Metasonix pedal.
played and owned all of the above...what's your next stupid assumption?

You've owned a Minimoog, Jupiter 8, DX-7, Prophet 5, and an Arp 2600, but you landed on the AN1X as the holy grail that covers all of those bases? My next "stupid assumption" is that you are full of s**t.

I should have said played OR owned. Played the Mini, the JUp8, 2600, owned the DX and P5. Why don't you go get upset about more things you have no clue about. Yeah, I love the AN1x...I think it's THE best VA ever made...many people will not agree with that...big f**k deal. There's people that hear a Minimoog and say "yeah...who cares?" whilst others cream their jeans at the very sound of a single mini saw wave. Go make a better demo if this is so bad instead of running your mouth (or fingers). Put up or shut up.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:14 am

clubbedtodeath wrote:
D-Collector wrote:-->ryryoftokyo, I have nothing against sounds that are unusual, but I would really like to hear what they really sound like instead of on some website that compresses it to h**l. Maybe if you recorded a audio-only clip and put up for download, we could get a better idea.
Seconded. It sounds like they've been sampled at 11KHz. Which is a shame; there's more than few patches in there I'd like to hear properly.

44KHz stereo goodness, please!! :mrgreen:
I'm going to make a nicer version of this for everyone who's been nice...and for those who talked s**t, I'll make some "polite" patches where I can make some generic 303 acid sounds, sweeping single osc pads, and I'll be sure to include a rendition of "Jump" and some other synth standards that have been beaten to death on youtube.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:23 pm

Go make a better demo if this is so bad instead of running your mouth (or fingers). Put up or shut up.
To be fair, in your original post you did ask for peoples 'thoughts' on it and I see people here giving you an honest opinion. BTW I actually agree that this is one of the best sounding VA's I've played, underrated and great value for money.
ryryoftokyo wrote:I'm going to make a nicer version of this for everyone who's been nice...
... and I would give that a listen providing not all of the sounds featured distortion.

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:40 pm

I'm an AN1x owner myself, and I'm always interested to hear what people are doing with the synth. Bring on the better quality audio demo! I don't mind the generic Jump sounds either :)
Stephen(2)

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:58 pm

ryryoftokyo wrote:Played the Mini, the JUp8, 2600, owned the DX and P5.
I've heard before that the AN1X could do one of the best P5 impersonations... I wonder if that is why they're so friggin hard to find these days..
I like vintage synths....

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:04 pm

WhinyLittleRunt wrote:
ryryoftokyo wrote:Played the Mini, the JUp8, 2600, owned the DX and P5.
I've heard before that the AN1X could do one of the best P5 impersonations... I wonder if that is why they're so friggin hard to find these days..
I've never owned a P5, so I wouldn't know about that, but it does make a nice controller, aside from being a nice synth. It's a very good bang-for-your-buck instrument.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:43 am

First off I agree that the video definitely lacks high frequency detail and that it may be better if not ALL of the presets were be distorted into oblivion. ;)

However some of the sounds on show are HUGE, and whilst I imagine these patches aren't the sort that many here would typically care for (or use) this video clearly demonstrates that if you want nasty, dirty, overdriven, screaming tones the AN1X delivers. I don't know much about grind core, but I'm pretty sure you were able to drive the point home!

All in all I think it'd be great if you could rerecord these in higher fidelity and maybe throw in a few softer patches. Thanks for sharing though - I think too many people take these synth videos for granted. :roll: