Much reason to get a Little Phatty if you've got Minimoog?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Savitar

Much reason to get a Little Phatty if you've got Minimoog?

Post by Savitar » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:46 am

I'm always looking for more bass sounds, but I definitely haven't tapped my voyager for anything near its worth. i was just checking some videos out of the phatty, tho, and it's got some sick tones to it that the voyager either doesn't have or i haven't figured out yet. on top of that, the stage II seems to have a big more to it like an arpeggiator. what say ye?!

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Re: Much reason to get a Little Phatty if you've got Minimoog?

Post by nvbrkr » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:58 am

I am not sure if you got a Minimoog.

However, if you have a Moog Voyager then I really doubt getting a Moog Little Phatty would make too much sense.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:24 pm

but I definitely haven't tapped my voyager for anything near its worth.

You could....
Tap the Voyager.
Download more patches and program more patches.
Explore the MoogerFooger line.
Check out Analogue Haven for weird effect pedals to add something extra to your basslines.

If the choice is more gear then maybe add something that sounds nothing like a Moog to layer or stand opposed to your current bass tendencies.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Savitar

Post by Savitar » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:05 pm

i've got a murf, freqbox, and low-pass. plus lots of other effect pedals. do you know any good resources for patch designs?

sensorium

Post by sensorium » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:38 pm

The best resource for patch design is patience, experimentation, and creativity. If you can't get your Voyager to sound like the Little Phatty demos you've heard, you have none of those three things ;)

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:09 pm

The LP is awesome but I'd rather have a Voyager personally. However if it's really not cutting it for you sell it, buy a LP and then put the rest of the proceeds towards something else.

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:01 am

Minimoog might work with a LP. But I would think you would probably just need the Mini. Though the LP sounds a little smoother, whereas the Mini is raw through and through. If you had the VOyager, I wouldn't get the LP. The Voyager seems like an LP with far greater options..
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:17 am

Being a Voyager owner, the only thing I feel I miss out on not having the LP is its filter distortion. Well that and the RAC. Also on the Voyager, I can hear clock noise when I turn cutoff, while playing notes above A4. The LP does not have this glitch. If I really needed that distortion though, I'd probably just get a Sherman Filterbank.

Other than that, no regrets staying with a Voyager. I even compared it to a late 70's Model D and decided I liked the Voyager better. :la: (Ducks as flames shoot at me from all directions) The Model D could get brighter, but the Voyager's low-frequency range was deeper. It sounds analog but not vintage, and still sounds good. Me likes.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Savitar

Post by Savitar » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:29 am

That filterbank is some kind of nasty mother ******. I was looking into a Filterbank II a while back. The insanity...

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:14 am

I also saw the Youtube videos of the LP and they're almost all similar: piercing virtuoso leads. I cannot find the classic mellow Moog tone I'd really like to get.

If it only could play sounds like this excellent video, I'd take it right away:

Can the Voyager sound that [pleasantly] creamy, even while experimenting on the higher range?

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:44 am

The sounds in that video are so bathed in reverb, that it's really difficult to tell for sure. I think some of that upper-range in the video is kind of harsh, myself. I do know from comparing my Voyager to that late 70's Model D, that the Voyager's oscillators are very, very weak in the high-end, in comparison. Putting an EQ or Exciter in the Voyager's Mix-Insert path helps out with this alot. Where the filter opens up in the video at around 4:45, no the Voyager cannot sound like that without external help.

I use the Voyager mostly for deep or aggressive basses anyway. Some of my own sounds:

But really, if an instrument's character speaks to you, even through a youtube video, you should probably pay attention and not go off conjecture. Trust your ears over all else.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:11 am

Most of his videos are great and makes you wanna buy many synths (even though I know he uses effects).

Anyway, I'm a bit disillusioned about analog synths. I used to have a few ones and sold them at honest prices a few years ago - because I was heading into different experimental styles (travelled and got married too). And now that I want to get 2 or 3, I realise that even the smallest good-sounding models have became out of price (online synth shop are to blame). *sigh*

Maybe those VA's, software emulators and reissues made us realise that the originals are just impossible to replicate. For instance, the LP looks great! Like something solid and very fun to play. The price is ok, but the sound is not appealing to me. I'm deceived.

Savitar

Post by Savitar » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:30 am

how would i make some s**t like this on the voyager?

tell me that and i'll be quite pleased :3

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:36 am

Just learn to use your Voyager, read up on programming it and spend a lot of time tweaking, find out what does what, really get to know it and then you'll be able to do anything within the limitations of the synth, which is a lot.

Savitar

Post by Savitar » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:40 am

ok then... let's start at the basics. is there a website that gives a good explanation on the waveforms, oscillators, filters, etc... voyager for dummies.