Gap Band "You Dropped A Bomb On Me" - what synths?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Gap Band "You Dropped A Bomb On Me" - what synths?

Post by Synthaholic » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:54 am

Such a great song from the 80s, and lots of cool synth sounds in it...

I was wondering what they used in that track. I saw some mention of a Minimoog used for the bassline, but what about the chords and the "bomb drop" sound? Just wondering. The song came out in '82, which was when a lot of the popular polysynths started to appear (JP-8 in '81, Juno 6/60 in '82 for example).
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Re: Gap Band "You Dropped A Bomb On Me" - what synths?

Post by Cumulus » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:17 am

I am pretty sure the bomb drop sound was just the Minimoog filter sweeping with no other tones going on. I have made this osund many times on my Mini.

Hair

Post by Hair » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:10 am

I wouldn't be suprised if the chords were a Juno, but the patch is so simple (wide open filter and amp, one osc saw or square with 75% pulse maybe and a little bit of pitch lfo) it really could be any poly available at the time, no? You can hear the sound clearly at the beginning of this clip: - if you can track down the 12" version, there's a cool little old-school vocoder intro that starts the track even earlier. I personally prefer "Burn Rubber (Why You Wanna Hurt Me?)" though :roll:

Dj Pound
Gear: Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Post by Dj Pound » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:33 am

The Gap band dropped so many electro/r&b classics...I was just gettin' my groove on to "humpin" the other day :dancer:
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Synthprophet

Post by Synthprophet » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:19 am

They used Prophet-5 a lot too. I even think the synthriff at the end of Early In The Morning is a factory preset of the P5.
If you check out some videos on youtube, you'll most likely see the Minimoogs and the Prophet-5.
Clavia: /Nord Lead 2x/
Roland: /AX-Synth/D-50/SH-201/
Korg: /EMX-1/Microkorg/Monotron/MS-20 Mini

LWG

Post by LWG » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:39 am

Hello,

Most American funk/dance tracks of the time used American synths. In late 70's/early 80's, bands such as the Gap Band used keyboard setups that were mostly elaborations on funk/jazzfunk keyboard setups of the early 70's.
A very popular synth combo used was Minimoog/ARP String Ensemble (w/Prophet 5, around 78).
The bass lines were more than likely Minimoog, as they are influenced by the Bernie Worrell/Junie Morrison
bass lines played with Parliament. IIRC, Ronnie Wilson played the synths on the Gap Band tracks.

There is also some String Ensemble on, "Burn Rubber" at 3:36 :

Regards,

lawrence