NITZER EBB on tour

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
druzz
Band: November's Ego

NITZER EBB on tour

Post by druzz » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:18 pm

GREAT SHOW!!

be sure not to miss that great act if they come to your town. they gave us a great performance here in montreal yesterday. good energy, good sound, the crowd was completely hypnotized and could not resist moving energetically to the beat . i think know i can say i understand the meaning of electro body music (EBM)

no synth on stage, no tweaking , no filter sweep , just astonishing efficiency. a singer that looks like the bad guy in terminator 2, a drummer (he's playing on a real drum as well as electronic percussions and it adds a lot to the show) and a percussionist with an electronic xylophone. i think all synths and samples come from the computer.
at first when i heard about this i was a bit disappointed but then i went to the show and i have to admit nothing was missing.its not about what you use , its about who you are !!

this is amongst the best shows i have ever seen (up there with King C , einsturziende N, Beck, YUseff Lateef, MMW) .y

i hope to get the upcoming album soon .

*EDIT * january 22 seems to be the release date
Last edited by druzz on Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

Re: NITZER EBB on tour

Post by michael stein » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:49 pm

If your in Houston check it out my friend //TENSE// will be opening for them. Its gonna be awesome!!! www.myspace.com/tensexxx

19sierra
Gear: ARP: Quadra, Axxe, Omni II
Akai: AX-60
Roland: Jupiter-6, TR-606, TR-808, SH-101
Yamaha: CS-5, CS-15
Korg: MS2000b, MS-10, MS-20, SQ-10
Band: Part of Our Low.

Post by 19sierra » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:18 am

My girlfriend suprised me with tickets to see them in San Fran- I had no idea who we were going to see, and only found out when I accidentally looked over at the merch booth right before they came out. It was quite the awesome suprise, great show. However I must admit I was somewhat bummed out that they didn't play some older favorites (Warsaw Ghetto, Isn't it funny how your body works?) as well as I think I must have had my fingers crossed the whole time that they'd play something off of Basic Pain Procedure heh.
"I slid some sliders but like no sound came out, I just want to make Tool or NIN or whatever. That's why I'm selling it to you."

matia
Gear: Forum said that I exceeded 150 characters. Here's a partial:
Serge Modular 9 pannels SMS Modular almost all modules
ARP 2600
Roland Tr 808 ....

Post by matia » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:45 am

saw them when they first started retouring at slims in SF. the show was easily one of the best live shows i've ever seen. stunning. and they are wonderful guys to boot!

-matia

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:08 pm

I'm kinda thinking about going to that Houston show next week. I love some Nitzer Ebb.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

plexicube

Post by plexicube » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:34 am

I was at the SF show as well (what percentage of this board lives in the bay I wonder...)

I thought the show was really enjoyable, and the addition of the MalletKat for bass lines was a fun twist. But seeing a laptop running Logic onstage is getting to be a downer to me. Bon Harris seemed like an appendage for most of the evening, contributing primarily handclaps and accents. I wonder if any of the less familiar concert goers know how much he is responsible for in the studio? Since I'm a fan of the Showtime era stuff I thought the setlist was great. Doug McCarthy really sounds like that in real life! Amazing! The setup reminded me a lot of DAF, though I'm sure that's no surprise nor coincidence...
Musicist and programmator.

druzz
Band: November's Ego

Post by druzz » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:25 am

Douglas McCarthy is a great performer. i was very impressed . i like the new material. most of it seem more interresting to me than " payroll "(the only new stuff i've been aware of before that show) , so i am optimistic about the industrial complex album.

plexicube

Post by plexicube » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:48 am

One thing that did disappoint: They changed the beat to "Hearts and Minds"! I was really looking forward to this tune, and they had redone it with a steady house like bass beat. So sad.
Musicist and programmator.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:27 am

I saw them last night in NYC and it was incredibly disappointing.

Nitzer is one of my absolute favorite bands, and I was kind of shocked.

Douglas and Bon were good and moved around a lot, but Jason looked like he was going through the motions 90% of the time on the drums, it was pretty lame. He did not look android disconnected cool, and he didnt look into it, he just looked incredibly BORED. Not to mention his kit wasnt micced, he was just playing to a track.

To add to that not a single thing was played live, and at the start of the intro the sound guy even hit the wrong track on the computer, so it started playing once you say, and then he had to pause it really quickly and go to the intro song.

Their backing track was lacking a serious amount of high end, and the live mix was kind of awful in general, too muddy, and there was no power to the kick or bass. Nitzer ebb is about the bass groove, and you could not feel that groove.

The visual aspect was seriously lacking too. I know they were trying to go for a spartan look, but it was honestly detrimental to the show. The lighting was terrible and you couldn't see Douglas a lot of the time, and tehy had no projections or anything. Jason was on the tiniest drum kit ever, and bon's gear was lame too, he only used the mallet kat to mimic mostly non percussive sounds, otherwise he was hitting two or three v drum pads, or just dancing.

If you are going to use a percussive controller live you use it for percussive/rhythmic melodies, not pads (even miming wise), it just goes over better that way.

Also, i dont care if you track all your f**k synths, but if you have guitars PLAY THEM LIVE. They did a few songs that had guitar on tape and that is the lamest s**t you could possibly do.

Join in the Chant was the best song in the set, and I moshed for most of the set, really really trying to get into it, but I couldn't the performance was just not enjoyable.

They closed with "I Give it to You" which is my favorite ebb song, and that one went over alright. "getting closer" which is another favorite was not very good at all. All of the songs seemed to be slowed down too, especially noticeable in payroll which had to be like two or three BPM slower, and the tracked drums sounded horrible on it. (and jason's kit, not being micced, was barely audible).

On I give it to you they had some serious errors, bon came in late on a lot of the parts he was miming, and a few of the synth sounds came into the mix super loud and the sound guy had to turn them down.

for join in the chant they remixed the beat a little with the 808 rimshot sample, but mostly what made that song so good was evveryone at gramercy screaming the lyrics, and the amazing mosh pit. the performance itself was lacking.

Doug's voice did sound great though, but overall:

It was pretty emberassing, and I'm disappointed. I was expecting this to be one of the greatest shows I would ever see. It just felt half assed.

With that said,

the new album "Industrial Complex" is out on itunes already, and its f**k great. Easily one of the best records of 2009.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:59 pm

Great, Firefox just crashed and i lost my response!

I saw them in Seattle at El Corazon. Great show. Great sound. Here's some vids and pics.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... =503295946

http://www.youtube.com/user/acidchild
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

factual35
Gear: Korg EA-1,Korg ES-1, Korg Monotron, Alesis Micron, DSI Evolver Desktop
Band: Mike Rochip

Post by factual35 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:43 am

I should go, not many Industrial/EBM bands come to my town. Sadly, I missed Skinny Puppy last week. :x

Mr Knesh
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.

Post by Mr Knesh » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:00 am

Hey Joey!

It sounds like a lot of the problems that you witnessed at the NE show were created by the mix. No high end, flabby lows, synths coming in too loud. All sound like a shitty sound tech was running the board, not that the guys were to blame. Or it could be that they were running backing tracks that weren't mixed or mastered for live. But I would more quickly blame bad sound technicians than the people performing the music.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Joey » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:10 am

Yeah that would be fine too, but they weren't performing any music! It was all backing tracks. Like I said, the drums weren't even micced!

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:13 am

I missed SP and Nitzer. I feel like poop big time. Wonder if SP played anything new (new album)?
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Joey » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:27 am

I saw SP. They aren't playing anything new, but they put on a f**k great show.