SH-101 bought for 400$ -- Any advice / tips to utilize this?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Afamily
Gear: Virus TI, SE1x (Angel Dust) and a Silver Laptop with an Apple on it.
Band: TIPOL

SH-101 bought for 400$ -- Any advice / tips to utilize this?

Post by Afamily » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:28 pm

So basically as the title says, I've finally got my hands on an editable analog synth for my collection. I figured the price was good enough to finally bite down and get one.

I was just curious to see if anyone had any good recipes for some sound creation.... I realize it's a rather straight forward synth, but just was curious how you guys use it in your applications. Thanks!!!

I make some dubstep and downtempo stuff so we'll see how it goes. :geek:
A dark pool of ambient sound from which I scoop up globs and sculpt it on the rough cement slab in my mind, floating on an irridescent cube. This is my mind.

cheapo

Re: SH-101 bought for 400$ -- Any advice / tips to utilize this?

Post by cheapo » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:46 pm

good price for today
a simple analogue synth with a nice sound.
dubstep? try to put the cutoff down, the resonace up, put the tracking of the filter up (kybd) and hear those fat basses...
the intern sequencer and the trigger inputs, use the trigger inputs to make the sequence jump a step. try this with a loud signal of your xbase (i don't know if it will work)! it is lot of fun to sequence like that and gives you some possibilities, like to do a sequence with 7 steps and actually trigger just 6 steps with the xbase! see what happens

michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

Post by michael stein » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:46 pm

yes cutoff down, resonance medium, envelope control up, attack medium and you got some dubby wheoooomps. also set the lfo slow, set the pulse width to LFO control, turn up square and sub oscillator, filter to taste and you got some sweet pulse width modulation for those "fat" basses and leads, portamento is very sweet on this synth too.

Cruel Hoax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog Voyager, Roland V-Synth, Roland MC-909, Parker Nitefly, Master Room & Fostex Springverbs, Lexicon Vortex, Travel guitar, Acoustic guitar.
Band: Giorgio Moroder's Moustache

Post by Cruel Hoax » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:40 am

The SH-101 has nice fast envelopes, so you can make yourself a set of 808-style kicks and snare pieces quite easily.

Some things you may not realize:

The octave selector (by the left hand controls) responds to portamento, so you can do some awesome lead octave jumps with ease!

Actually, the whole left-hand area is well laid out for certain musical phrasings. Set up a fast LFO, and assign it to pitch via the bender, and you have instant "funky worm" for your midrangey lead pleasure! Bring it in on blue notes or high accent notes.

Pitch bender can be set up to control filter, not just pitch. So you can record a robot-style bass line into the sequencer, then have much better filter squelch ability by using the bender, not a slider. (It always returns to zero, too, which is great!)

Man, I lent out my 101, but you've given me the urge to ask for it back! Enjoy that beast - it's awesome to play (not just sequence, etc.) because of the left hand-right hand layout.

-Hoax
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:32 am

All of the above suggestions are great.
Sample&Hold is the only LFO option that responds to clock In. Opting not to use Ext. clock-in means you can synchronise the LFO and sequencer/arpeggiator, which makes for some interesting sequences. My favorite of these is when sample&hold LFO to Filter is at nearly full depth, making some notes silent(by being filtered out). Makes very cool syncopations.

I spent $220 on my SH-101 in 1999, and modified it about 8 years later. I can provide some audio demos if you're interested in those possibilities.
Last edited by Solderman on Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

ford442
Band: Noah Cohn

Post by ford442 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:52 am

i like to sometimes turn up the LFO modulation and crank the LFO to high speed.. gives you kind of a retro, chip tune sound.. :)
lately i have used the 101 for leads - open the filter all the way and then run it through my FilterFactory analog low pass for character..

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:53 pm

ford442 wrote:i like to sometimes turn up the LFO modulation and crank the LFO to high speed.. gives you kind of a retro, chip tune sound.
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but one of the mods, easily done by replacing a single resistor with two resistors tied to a switch, will allow one side of the switch to give you a very, very fast LFO. Ford's suggestion ends up sounding a bit like ringmod at the higher LFO rate.
If you use the high LFO rate to clock the sequencer, you can do something like the intro to Kraftwerk's "Spacelab". Here is a demo of me doing something similar with the sequencer on my modded 101.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.