I just grabbed a FIZMO!!!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
FX23

Re: I just grabbed a FIZMO!!!

Post by FX23 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:29 pm

how much did you pay for it?

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:59 pm

One just sold for for $655 US on eBay. I'm now looking for one too.

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.html?L ... 283&_rdc=1
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Pighood

Post by Pighood » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:46 am

I've had mine for 5 years. Don't turn it on that often, but when I need that "certain" sound, nothing else will do. EXTREMELY distinctive timbres make it immediately identifiable as a Fizmo. I can only do that with a handful of synths (D-50, M1, DX-7, Prophet-5, CZ-101). Effects are superb, and the "i" knob is the magic one.
Triton Pro * V-Synth * Q * Andromeda * Fizmo * MEK * Virus TI * A-100 * X-Station

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:18 pm

I am just going to outright say the Fizmo is the most aggravating piece of gear I have ever owned. Awesome wavetables (more interesting than a Microwave, plus they oscillators are independent), impressive fx, and multi staged envelopes that can be routed to damn near anything. The catch? You have to use crippled a*s, f**k up, and downright inane Sounddiver to edit any of them to a point of satisfaction. Oh, and that LED screen...

I don't miss it.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:57 pm

My hands and ears are burning of desire...

Totally agree: this synth is a world of unexplored synthesis. Certainly I bought it with the intention of having no intention for its use. .. :).

I suppose is just the love for the sound synthesis. it will challenge the creativity of any producer. Definitely insane mad practice is a must with the Fizmo, it's an instrument of its own kind.

I have read that the effects section is superb, that each effect has a ton of algorythms to play with,
that they can be applied to the line in. About filters: As I read on a review:

"The filter section is made of 2 multimode filters (2LP/2HP, 3LP/1HP, 2LP/2LP, 3LP/1HP, RES-LP, RES-BP). Only the last 2 have resonance. The 2 filters can be linked for easier editing"

Got it under $600.

I asked to the youtube guy of the videos, he said he just get it.... In fact, those are maybe the only cool Fizmo videos. That makes me more excited, is really really unexplored. I love to dig my synths one by one.

I will have a serious practice with it beforing posting anything on youtube. Now, my patience with synths is ENORMOUS. I'm gonna find its "g-spot"....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Pighood

Post by Pighood » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:15 am

You mean "F" Spot. There are f**k of those.
Triton Pro * V-Synth * Q * Andromeda * Fizmo * MEK * Virus TI * A-100 * X-Station

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:19 pm

Back in the day I had the option to either grab the Fizmo or the Ensoniq SQ-1+. I went for the latter, because it was still the 90s and I wanted something I could use to record demos with (and it had piano and strings).

I see prople struggling to sell the SQ-1§ for €100 these days.

Oh yeah, nice sounds. Sort of Bad Sector -ish.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:33 pm

SQ-1. That was my first synth 15 years ago.

In fact, it was the cheapest Ensoniq synth on those days and the only one I could afford with a monthly $300 income. The other options at the dealer were Kawaii, and the big ones TS10 and TS12.

It had a clear sound and filters, but it was way limited on sound spectrum. The waveform list was pretty short, very easy to edit, really nice user interface but there was not too much to dig inside it, a mini 8000 notes sequencer.
Sold it to a church after 3 years of heavy use, and saving money, and got the amazing TS 10./

I love Ensoniq. Something that I love from them: they are robust and long lasting machines.

Is a shame they screw it with that little LCD display on the Fizmo, totally out of place on such a beast, but I got used to those LCD alphabets with the Roland D2 and the first electribes....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:41 pm

I like the keyboard on the Ensoniqs, which is why I've kept mine as a MIDI controller. Also the design is a whole lot easier on the eyes than contemporary MIDI controllers.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:44 pm

I need to put my hands on it really bad....

those pads are extremely gorgeous and beatiful. Of course this guy knows how to handle a fizmo

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:26 pm

A friend of mine had a Fizmo and he proposed to sell it t me many time a few years ago, saying it would fit just right in my music. In fact, I found the synth very ugly and cheap-looking. Plus I already had a Microwave XT and a Z1 and no space for a Fizmo.

Now that I heard what this machine is really about, I am quite sad to realise that might sound better than a XT for pure ambient sounds (the Xt is more on the industrial/ambient side). Fizmo has a better variety of sounds on the soft side apparently. Still, I think that the Z1 with the resonnance synthesis is hard to beat!

It's really a shame they produced only about 50 rack mount Fizmo, maybe I would have bought it then.

Dano

Post by Dano » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:29 am

Nice! One thing that struck me especially on the first two videos is that the Yamaha DX200 can make some similar sounds - The Yamaha "free EG" feature helps with the evolving sounds. I know it's a completely different form of synthesis and I'd guess it's a lot more straightforward to get those sounds with the Fizmo though.

mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mome rath » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:08 am

Scories wrote:I found the synth very ugly and cheap-looking

it's cool man

his looks like this

:geek:
god elton can't you suck

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:12 am

I have a VFX, had it since '99. I used to use it for noodling around and creating sound effects on... The Fizmo is the last great synth of the line that started with the VFX... alot of its sounds are "so that is what a VFX would sound like if the filters were resonant"

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:43 pm

mome rath wrote:
Scories wrote:I found the synth very ugly and cheap-looking

it's cool man

his looks like this

:geek:
:giveheart: :giveheart: :giveheart: