What will be the best synthesizer....

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Re: What will be the best synthesizer....

Post by Sir Nose » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:42 pm

Novachord #346 when it's fully retored
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

sensorium

Post by sensorium » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:09 am

ethesilence wrote:
Synthaholic wrote:The Roland Jupiter-8 2010...

(one can always hope...) :)
there are actually quite a few rumors going around that Roland is announcing a "Jupiter" at the Winter NAMM in California (january)

I am going so I will def. post something on here if it turns out to be true :) Although a) i doubt it and b) even if they do I doubt it will live up to its name..

One can only hope that the new Jupiter iteration will be as great as the new SH series (SH-201) and the new Juno series (Juno-G etc.) Detect my sarcasm? I hope they don't ruin the Jupiter name as well.

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:10 am

sensorium wrote:
ethesilence wrote:
Synthaholic wrote:The Roland Jupiter-8 2010...

(one can always hope...) :)
there are actually quite a few rumors going around that Roland is announcing a "Jupiter" at the Winter NAMM in California (january)

I am going so I will def. post something on here if it turns out to be true :) Although a) i doubt it and b) even if they do I doubt it will live up to its name..

One can only hope that the new Jupiter iteration will be as great as the new SH series (SH-201) and the new Juno series (Juno-G etc.) Detect my sarcasm? I hope they don't ruin the Jupiter name as well.
I read somewhere on this forums, they couldn't use the name "Jupiter" anymore due to legal restrictions, is that correct?
I just hope they don't cut the V-synth GT before I get one!

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:55 am

yep, that's why the jp-8000 is the JP, they wanted to call it the jupiter 8000. but they didn't have the rights anymore

Duncanperson
Gear: Korg R3, DSI Evolver, SammichSID, Oto Machines Biscuit, Korg Kaoss Pad, Akai MPD32, MacbookPro

Post by Duncanperson » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:55 am

braincandy wrote:The Harrington 1200 mkII
+10000000 (I seriously laughed at this :D - it was a good call)
Computers are like airconditioners, they work until you open windows.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:48 pm

ethesilence wrote:There are actually quite a few rumors going around that Roland is announcing a "Jupiter" at the Winter NAMM in California (january)

Sounds promising, I love Roland but I hope whatever it is that it lives up to Namm hype this time, Roland really needs to bring out a great product now, too many very average keyboards from them in the last few years, I mean how long can they realistically stretch Fantom technology before people stop taking this kit seriously? Juno-D "Limited Edition", Gimme a fu#k'n break :roll:
Gianni wrote:I read somewhere on this forums, they couldn't use the name "Jupiter" anymore due to legal restrictions, is that correct?
Interesting, do you know if that is because of trademark restrictions to do with the "Jupiter" brand of brass instruments, Trumpets, Sax's etc, or something else?

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:07 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:I mean how long can they realistically stretch Fantom technology before people stop taking this kit seriously?
Knowing Roland: endlessly.. I mean, try to list all synths/keyboards/modules that are clones of the Sound Canvas.. oodles! This what companies do. They invest for a while in technology X and then make dozens of products based on it The R&D for the first product costs money, the dozens of products following make the money.

Yamaha isn't much different btw.. judging their whole horizon o' DX and AWM2 models, not to mention all the organs and consumer keyboards utilizing FM.

So this new Jupiter is either the first of a new generation (and keep in mind the discussion that's been @ VSE some months ago about a new Jupiter), or it's older technology with a new layout.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:16 pm

Yeah, I know why they do it like that, but I'd still like to see more variation of the technology used in Roland gear, along the lines of the original V-Synth. Now that was a groundbreaking product for Roland when it was new - a completely fresh product, that's what we really need from them now.

V-Piano is another more recent example of a "from the ground up" design from Roland, only now we need something like this for us synth lovers :D

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:51 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:Yeah, I know why they do it like that, but I'd still like to see more variation of the technology used in Roland gear, along the lines of the original V-Synth. Now that was a groundbreaking product for Roland when it was new - a completely fresh product, that's what we really need from them now.
Not so much, it was more like a VP-9000 smooshed with a JP-8000, or a knobby VariOS. It was the first one to make a success of the Vari-Phrase technology though, even though there were two before it.

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:41 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:
Gianni wrote:I read somewhere on this forums, they couldn't use the name "Jupiter" anymore due to legal restrictions, is that correct?
Interesting, do you know if that is because of trademark restrictions to do with the "Jupiter" brand of brass instruments, Trumpets, Sax's etc, or something else?
I really have no idea. :lol:

I read it here, but couldn't find it on a forum search. It would be great if someone could remind us about that.

If they make a new JP, I could see them making a small "microRoland" kind of thing along the lines of a MK/XL/R3, but I'd still take a V-synth GT before anytime.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:00 pm

Roland isn't going to have a new "jupiter" or anything else innovative in 2010. Here is what you might get:

OS updates for their buggy and incomplete Fantom G workstations (even this seems unlikely)
New ARX SuperNatural expansion cards
A new Arranger board
Possible repackaging of the SH-201 DSP
More Edirol junk

If we're REALLY lucky, there might be a new groovebox to replace the MC-808 but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:17 pm

StepLogik wrote:If we're REALLY lucky, there might be a new groovebox to replace the MC-808 but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Can't see Roland making another Groovebox, the MC-909 was buggy as h**l, they never ever fixed the buggy OS it had, even with V1.23 update back in 2007. And the MC-808 that was just pure plastic c**p with gimmicky motorized faders.

Roland are stuck in a endless repackaging loop, imo. If they ever do release a new "Jupiter", it will mainly be all plastic casing like the SH-201, or at worst a completely new rehash/repackage of the JP-8000!!
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:42 pm

Syn303 wrote:
StepLogik wrote:If we're REALLY lucky, there might be a new groovebox to replace the MC-808 but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Can't see Roland making another Groovebox, the MC-909 was buggy as h**l, they never ever fixed the buggy OS it had, even with V1.23 update back in 2007. And the MC-808 that was just pure plastic c**p with gimmicky motorized faders.
Roland is such a weird company when it comes to software updates. They are few and far between. It makes you wonder what the h**l the company is actually doing, because they are sure aren't really "innovating" so you'd think they would be constantly improving the existing tech. But, that's not the case at all.

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:29 pm

Hey how about we do a TB-303 petition and a couple of other things? seriously if people find out about it on other forums, youtube and just about all over the net plus it could get mentioned in magazines...if it gets more than 10,000 responses do you reckon they would do it?

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:37 pm

volumetrik wrote:Hey how about we do a TB-303 petition and a couple of other things? seriously if people find out about it on other forums, youtube and just about all over the net plus it could get mentioned in magazines...if it gets more than 10,000 responses do you reckon they would do it?
Times have changed, I get the overwhelming feeling Roland take the position of leaving the past in the past and focusing their efforts into developing new things - still I'd think It'd be awesome if they did do something with analog synthesis again, even if it sucked, It'd still be more interesting than the new Juno stuff IMO ;)

Though I wouldn't hold my breath, If you want a 303, start saving for a vintage one.