What will be the best synthesizer....

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Re: What will be the best synthesizer....

Post by mharris80 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:39 pm

volumetrik wrote:Hey how about we do a TB-303 petition and a couple of other things? seriously if people find out about it on other forums, youtube and just about all over the net plus it could get mentioned in magazines...if it gets more than 10,000 responses do you reckon they would do it?
Highly unlikely that it'll do any good. Roland is one of those companies that makes a ton of money no matter how disillusioned their customer base may be. Case in point, all the buggy software updates, rehashes of old s**t, etc... Yeah it sucks, but that's just the way it is. Still not as bad as Gibson and Fender, though.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:45 pm

volumetrik wrote:Hey how about we do a TB-303 petition and a couple of other things? seriously if people find out about it on other forums, youtube and just about all over the net plus it could get mentioned in magazines...if it gets more than 10,000 responses do you reckon they would do it?
amazona.de actually just started sth like this!

here is the link, but it's in german...

http://forum.amazona.de/limesurvey/inde ... 3%80%88=de

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:58 pm

As far as hardware concerns me (which it doesn't), I'd say: forget about small one-task synths and opt for something bigger and more flexible. If it's a small/limited interface you want, then put the focus on such a small MIDI-controller instead of making the synth itself 'small'. Keep in mind what sets a price for a synth. It's not just the material and the manufacturers salaries, it's also transport costs to shops, advertisement costs, a buffer for faulty models etc. For a certain cheap price it doesn't matter whether a synth is a 303 or something more complex (Alesis Micron etc.), from that point of view you could compare things to harddisks. The smallest harddisk costs about 40 euro, and for an additional 4 euro more you have like 40GB extra or something. When a synth's complete logic sits in a chip, then a bigger chip is not really going to add to the (transport) weight, but it's easily possible to tuck a bigger synth inside. The price of this bigger chip is probably only a few extra bucks. The software itself isn't going to be much more expensive either. I figure Roland (and the other large companies as well) use some kinda Reaktor-like modular system which they can upload to such a chip, they could drag 'n drop a synth like that.

my 2 rupees :mrgreen:
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:09 pm

If they could put out a rehash of the JP8000 at around the price of the sh201 I might look at it .
My guess is they are going to follow suit behind some of the others so we might see a micro roland or micro roland controllers or cakewalk vg99 vst or something like that
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:30 pm

ethesilence wrote:
Synthaholic wrote:The Roland Jupiter-8 2010...
there are actually quite a few rumors going around that Roland is announcing a "Jupiter" at the Winter NAMM in California.
Given what Roland did with the 'SH-201' or the new 'Juno' I'd say they couldn't build a decent new Jupiter anymore than I could! Another poster said that they no longer had the rights to use the Jupiter name. Thank Heavens for small mercies in that case.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:11 am

Hybrid88 wrote:
Times have changed, I get the overwhelming feeling Roland take the position of leaving the past in the past and focusing their efforts into developing new things - still I'd think It'd be awesome if they did do something with analog synthesis again, even if it sucked, It'd still be more interesting than the new Juno stuff IMO ;)

Though I wouldn't hold my breath, If you want a 303, start saving for a vintage one.
If you really want a new 303 for cheap just buy a x0xb0x. They're crazy cheap at the moment ($500 vs $1650 which is what I sold my first one for a couple of years ago) and sound as close to a 303 as one 303 does to another. They're much better built too, provided whoever made it knew what they were doing.
loungedumore wrote:If they could put out a rehash of the JP8000 at around the price of the sh201 I might look at it .
My guess is they are going to follow suit behind some of the others so we might see a micro roland or micro roland controllers or cakewalk vg99 vst or something like that
The SH-201 is a rehash of the JP-8000.

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:32 am

yeah the x0xb0x is wicked :) but deep down I still want a real 303...actually has Roland ever commented on how they felt about doing analog stuff again in the last decade or so? wonder if any of you heard anything...

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:00 pm

volumetrik wrote:yeah the x0xb0x is wicked :) but deep down I still want a real 303...actually has Roland ever commented on how they felt about doing analog stuff again in the last decade or so? wonder if any of you heard anything...
it won't make fat stacks of cash so no they won't.

and yes, i'd actually rather have a x0xb0x than a 303, they are really cheap for the 303 sound.

skweeegor

Post by skweeegor » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:56 pm

same here...303 looks ugly and dinky to me - and those tiny knobs blagh. Not worth the money they fetch when the x0xb0x is so damn awesome.

mankindjj

Post by mankindjj » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:39 am

Yes, no doubt... The Solaris. 8-)

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:56 pm

Why everybody is waiting for another Roland rehash? They have done several ones, and all of them have been low quality digital synths.
They just try to resurrect the glories for the past. Juno D, SH-201... not a good synth from them except for the Roland V synth.

Korg can't go smaller. Last thing I would want is a Korg-palm, or the new "Korg Avatar"

I would love some hybrids...
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:33 am

balma wrote:Why everybody is waiting for another Roland rehash? They have done several ones, and all of them have been low quality digital synths.
They just try to resurrect the glories for the past. Juno D, SH-201... not a good synth from them except for the Roland V synth.

Korg can't go smaller. Last thing I would want is a Korg-palm, or the new "Korg Avatar"

I would love some hybrids...
they already have the korg palm