Any forums for the Novation KS series?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Any forums for the Novation KS series?

Post by Hugo76 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:20 am

I just picked up a KS rack and was looking for any dedicated forums..? A couple of aspects of the synth left me wondering - no manual was included, plus I'm not that bright ;)
Also: any tips to some good & easy guides for programming? I've decided I really have to learn programming from the basics up, plus some good tricks, instead of the randomised tweaking I've been doing so far (well, exaggurating a bit, but nevertheless).

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Any forums for the Novation KS series?

Post by clubbedtodeath » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:30 pm

Hi Hugo

Like several here, I'm a Novation KS owner. I bought the KS4, the 4 octave keyboard version, a few years ago. It's a great synth - never going to get rid of it.

I strongly suggest you download and print out the manual, which you can find here:

http://www.novationmusic.com/support/ks_rack/

There's also the Novation answerbase, which helps with specific questions:

http://www.novationmusic.com/answerbase ... .php?id=30

On top of that, please feel free to ask questions here.

Cheers

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:42 pm

Hey Angus,

Thanks a bunch for the links! :D The answerbase already solved a problemt for me; I couldn't get the vocoder to work, but now I know what's wrong. Great.
I'll check the manual asap.

There were a couple of things I couldn't figure out, maybe you know...
Are there seperate envelopes for the osc's, or do they share the same one?
And: is it possible to get the lfo's to control other stuff than pitch and filter? It seems that lfo1 is hard locked to controlling pitch, and lfo2 to filter.

Thanks again for the info!

Dano

Post by Dano » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:52 am

Hugo76 wrote:There were a couple of things I couldn't figure out, maybe you know...
Are there seperate envelopes for the osc's, or do they share the same one?
And: is it possible to get the lfo's to control other stuff than pitch and filter? It seems that lfo1 is hard locked to controlling pitch, and lfo2 to filter.
I have an A-Station and a Xiosynth. I know on the A-Station that LFO1 is dedicated to pitch only (as you said) while LFO 2 can control the filter and/or pulse width modulation. I think this is the same on the KS4/KS5/Xiosynth.

I *think* there is a difference between the A-Station/K-Station and the KS4/KS5/Xiosynth in that the envelopes can can be set differently for each oscillator on the KS4/KS5/Xiosynth but I'll have to double check that because I might be wrong.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:24 pm

Dano wrote:
Hugo76 wrote:I have an A-Station and a Xiosynth. I know on the A-Station that LFO1 is dedicated to pitch only (as you said) while LFO 2 can control the filter and/or pulse width modulation. I think this is the same on the KS4/KS5/Xiosynth.

I *think* there is a difference between the A-Station/K-Station and the KS4/KS5/Xiosynth in that the envelopes can can be set differently for each oscillator on the KS4/KS5/Xiosynth but I'll have to double check that because I might be wrong.
Great, Dano, thanks for the input. I was flipping through the manual and couldn't find any mention of the oscillators having dedicated envelopes. I would really like this to be the case. The interface is quite intuitive, but quite a bit is hidden in menus so I'll have to do more research.

Any other comments are highly appreciated :)

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:09 pm

Hugo76 wrote:Great, Dano, thanks for the input. I was flipping through the manual and couldn't find any mention of the oscillators having dedicated envelopes. I would really like this to be the case. The interface is quite intuitive, but quite a bit is hidden in menus so I'll have to do more research.

Any other comments are highly appreciated :)
Hi Hugo

LFO1 can modulate the amplitude of OSC1, and LFO2 can modulate OSC2. See the OSC section (not the submenu), and the shift key. That allows you to control the amount.

But -- simultaneously, each LFO can modulate other things too. LFO2 can modulate the filter, LFO1 can modulate the pitch (I think...), and if you go into the sub-menus, there's all sorts of other funky goodness to be had.

Other things to check out: in the OSC submenu, 'VCO drift' and 'unison' will help fatten up your sound; also, try mapping aftertouch to the cutoff filter. Always good for expressive leads.

Cheers

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:08 pm

Great info there, Angus, much appreciated.
This would mean - if I'm not totally confused - that the lfo's can act as envelopes themselves...?
There's obviously several things to discover in this synth, looking forward to much tweaking :)

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:35 pm

Hugo76 wrote:Great info there, Angus, much appreciated.
This would mean - if I'm not totally confused - that the lfo's can act as envelopes themselves...?
Sort of -- you can make LFOs 'One shot' (see LFO section), which means they only cycle once upon key press. Think of them as a limited, repeatable envelope.

Cheers

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:55 pm

Yeah, I was experimenting yeasterday with the lfo's and got a little better understanding of how they work. It seems that the envelopes indeed are shared by all the oscillators.

Anyone have experience with the SoundQuest editor for the KS?
http://www.squest.com/Windows/Instrumen ... index.html

I was thinking it might help me understand the architecture better.
Man, there's a lot of stuff to learn here! :)

btw: I read about mixed feelings of the vocoder, but must say I find it pretty cool. It might be a bit difficult to understand words, so any tips here are welcomed

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:39 pm

Hugo76 wrote:btw: I read about mixed feelings of the vocoder, but must say I find it pretty cool. It might be a bit difficult to understand words, so any tips here are welcomed
Sawtooth waveform, played in octaves with the filter wide open.

Novation KS vocoder demo (mp3)

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:31 pm

Thanks Angus, very cool results in an equally cool track :D
Great site also, btw!

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:01 pm

Ok, so know my investigations have given me the following insight:
The ultimate solution seems to be programming in performance mode. That way you can simultaneously program 4 patches in parallell, enabling the creation of really huge and complex voices. The envelope 'problem' I described earlier is no longer an issue.

I've just begun experimenting here, so I may run into some limitations. But so far this seems to be the way forward. Yeah! :D

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:15 am

Hugo76 wrote:Yeah, I was experimenting yeasterday with the lfo's and got a little better understanding of how they work. It seems that the envelopes indeed are shared by all the oscillators.

Anyone have experience with the SoundQuest editor for the KS?
http://www.squest.com/Windows/Instrumen ... index.html

I was thinking it might help me understand the architecture better.
Man, there's a lot of stuff to learn here! :)
Aren't envelopes always shared by all Osc? Not sure if that was the Env. 'problem' you were talking about, but this is normal for all Osc. are modulated by the same Env.

That link with the Performance Mode picture on the right is excellent! Thanks for posting that, I think I'm going to print this and post it up by my KS-5. I never cared for the submenus (and how they were laid out), but this makes it more clear as to what is modulating what and what's hidding where in which submenus.

Nice track Clubbed! Liked the ending.

Don't mean to take up space, but this layout just needs to be posted as it's easier to understand the KS synth (click on Hugo76's link for bigger clearer pic):

"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:42 pm

stikygum wrote:Aren't envelopes always shared by all Osc? Not sure if that was the Env. 'problem' you were talking about, but this is normal for all Osc. are modulated by the same Env.

Yeah, you're probably right about VA's, but I'm pretty sure my cs6x and Motif ES had seperate envelopes for each element in a patch. Been so long since I played with romplers, so I honestly don't remember. Cool you found the pictures informing, think they might come in handy for me as well. And I still can't find any good reasons not to do all programming in performance mode ;)

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:56 pm

Hugo76 wrote:And I still can't find any good reasons not to do all programming in performance mode ;)
Remember, although you can build performance patches out of the basic monotimbral patches, any changes you make to chose individual parts are recorded with the performance patch -- leaving the original monotimbral patches are unaffected.

This is a very cool feature.

Personally though, I'm too lazy to do multitimbral patches. I've thought about putting fret/finger squeaks on this patch, but somehow never got round to it.. :geek: