***Write Reviews For The VSE***

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
vintagesynth
Retired Admin

***Write Reviews For The VSE***

Post by vintagesynth » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:25 pm

We're excited to announce a new opportunity (available only to registered members of the VSE Synth Forums) to write new synth reviews for the VSE! We have developed a simple form where you can provide us with all the information, links, and of course, a great review of any synthesizers - new and old - that are not already featured at the VSE.

We will, however, only entertain serious submissions. That means we expect to see articulate and informed articles based on first hand experience with the instrument you are reviewing. You must be able to write an informative and impartial review and provide as many links & facts about the instrument for us to even consider publishing it to the VSE. We will, of course, do our own due diligence in proof-reading and fact checking all potential submissions before publishing them to the VSE. However, we will give full credit to you as the author of the article on the page if it is added.

You can find the Submission Form here as well as in the Links menu at the top of the forum. Just look for the Add a Review link.

Why are we doing this? :idea:

New synthesizers worthy of mention in the VSE seem to be released every day. Combined with all the other synths we would already like to add, we simply can not keep up on our own! Running and maintaining this site can be such a chore that there has been little time to actually add new content to the VSE, creating a huge 'to-do' list. We've made the decision that in order to update and grow the VSE's collection, the time has come to rely on you. If the VSE were a magazine, this is your chance to act as contributing editors and submit your own in-depth reviews and analysis to share with the world.

How will it work? :?:

We've made a simple submission form for you to fill out. Just provide us your written article/review, any tech specs you know about the item, and any links to images, audio, videos, etc. We recommend you write your article and gather your information in a word/text editor of your choice, and when you have it ready, just copy it over to our form and submit it!

Your submissions will be private. They will not be posted in this forum. They will be sent directly to the VSE for review. There is a Submissions Queue where you can see what synths have been submitted to us already. The Queue will also display the status of every submission - whether it has been accepted or rejected by the VSE. So if you plan to send us a review, it's also a good idea to check out the Submission Queue first to make sure somebody else has not already sent us a review of the same item.

Members who get at least 3 of their reviews accepted to the VSE can earn the new special rank of:
VSE Contributer

What we DO NOT want [-X

Previous experience with submission forms has shown us that they can be more work than help! Form submissions will be immediately rejected if they are used simply to recommend adding an instrument, if information from other sites is copied-pasted in, if they are fairly incomplete or if they do not meet our standards. If you are not able to write a review of a synth and provide some basic specs and links then this is not for you.

However, if you have experience with a synth that is not featured at the VSE and you know you could write a bang up review of it for us then we would be honored to add your review to the VSE collection.

Here is a link to an exemplary instrument review written for us that shows what we are looking for: Example Review

Write a Review • Quick Links: Here's just a partial wish-list:
  • Akai Z4, Z8
  • Alesis Micron SE
  • Cirocco Modular Synthesizers (CMS)
  • Club of the Knobs Analog Modular Synths
  • Cwejman Modulars
  • Korg Wavedrum
  • Korg MicroX
  • Korg MicroSampler
  • Korg T-series
  • Korg X50
  • MOTM Modular Synthesizer
  • Motu MX4
  • Motu Mach 5
  • NI Kore 2
  • NI Maschine
  • NI Kontakt 4, Reaktor 5 (updates)
  • Novation VStation
  • Novation X-Station
  • Reason 4 through current update
  • Roland AX-Synth
  • Roland Fantom series
  • Roland RS-5, RS-7, RS-9
  • Semtex Modulars
  • Spectrasonics Atmosphere, Trilogy and Stylus RMX
  • Waldorf Attack
  • Waldorf Rack Attack
  • Anything else not already in the VSE
Retired admin. Please do not PM me for support.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Re: ***Write Reviews For The VSE***

Post by CS_TBL » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:17 pm

FM8 shall be mine *_*

and, finally! great initiative!

(that is, if the mechanism wouldn't insist on labeling my form invalid..)

edit: which was based on a time out..
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

vintagesynth
Retired Admin

Post by vintagesynth » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:48 am

Yes, currently there is a 2 hour time limit to fill out the form (it's the same time limit for posting anywhere on this forum)... Plenty of time, but also why I suggested writing your review in a word processor if that makes things easier...

At any rate, I will disable the 2-hour time-limit.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:34 pm

Maybe a silly question, but as software is obviously allowed here.. would that mean that all the kazillion freebies o' VST plugins should also have a place at VSE?
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

vintagesynth
Retired Admin

Post by vintagesynth » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:00 pm

CS_TBL wrote:Maybe a silly question, but as software is obviously allowed here.. would that mean that all the kazillion freebies o' VST plugins should also have a place at VSE?
Not really the freebie stuff... A few reasons why:
  • Software tends to update frequently, making the reviews out of date fairly fast.
  • When they are old, they can really go obsolete if, for example, it only works on Windows 95
  • A lot of freebie stuff is usually PC only. We'd prefer to review software available to Mac and PC - broader audience.
  • The freebie stuff can sometimes be a little narrow focused, even elementary.
  • The freebie stuff can often disappear, like the Koblo stuff we did review.
For now, we want to stick to good old tangible hardware synths... When it comes to software, because of the reasons mentioned above, we usually prefer to stick to the big companies.

Having said all that, if one is really great and has a lot to offer, then sure it is welcome... But like you said, there's a kazillion, and too many of them come and go.

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:33 am

made a review for the chimera BC16. if there's anything wrong with, can you send it back to me so i can adjust it?
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:48 pm

And what about all the Sound Canvas clones from Roland?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Sound_Canvas

and note that a JV30 is just a SoundCanvas as well, while there also were -iirc- the JV35 and the JV50, which had similar sounds with added JV80 sounds. The JW50 is a Soundcanvas-workstation (used by yours truly)

but also their high-end E-keyboards that all had a Sound Canvas inside with similar editing?

And there's also the somewhat richer sounding SC88 and the G800 keyboards that came with the same sounds/editing.

For completeness sake each such synth could have its own review, but perhaps it's better to have a review of the Sound Canvas sound and then short paragraphs about all the clones? Like those keytar and sequencer pages @ VSE.
FM8 vids

vintagesynth
Retired Admin

Post by vintagesynth » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:22 pm

Anything else not already in the VSE
It's all fair game really... :welcome:

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:28 pm

vintagesynth wrote:
Anything else not already in the VSE
It's all fair game really... :welcome:
Well, if that's the case, I might have some submissions. : )
Of course, the last thing they'd be is concise, but they'll be accurate! : ) ha ha ha
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:31 pm

This is a great idea, and I would be happy to help wherever I could.
Regarding the modulars like Cwejman, do you want a broad overview or would you want to break it down module by module?

vintagesynth
Retired Admin

Post by vintagesynth » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:19 pm

2 are already online at the VSE!!!

When their status changes to "Accepted' that means it is gone live and online at the VSE!

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:03 am

will work on one for the Eµ UltraProteus.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:40 am

Here is a feature suggestion. How about when a great thread with lots of good info shows up about a particular synth it gets a related link in a section on the side column of the article page. That way reviews don't get too long, unless there is a paging system/script, and there is still a wealth of info available.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

vintagesynth
Retired Admin

Post by vintagesynth » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:45 am

maindeglorie wrote:This is a great idea, and I would be happy to help wherever I could.
Regarding the modulars like Cwejman, do you want a broad overview or would you want to break it down module by module?
You can take a look at our reviews of Serge and Buchla for an idea... Basically it is a broad overview, but we usually include a simple break-down listing the available modules and what they may offer - but to try to get into the details of each module can be overwhelming. After all, we're not trying to sell these items for the manufacturers, we just want to review them - the good, the bad, and their potential. :mrgreen:

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:46 am

I'll work up entries for the Emu E4 series of samplers... (EIV, e6400, e4k, e5000, and ultra versions) since they all 'sound' similar, they are just different variants.