***Write Reviews For The VSE***

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: ***Write Reviews For The VSE***

Post by Cybercardinal » Thu May 06, 2010 9:21 pm

Maybe you should add Roland HPD-15 & HPD-10 to the list since they are quite capable drummachines

valiant

Post by valiant » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:38 am

I'm new to this forum, and still trying to locate the VSE reviews of various synths. Whereabouts are they located ?

Thanks and regards,

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:17 pm

http://www.vintagesynth.com/

The side bar at the left with manufacturers, and the central column with latest additions (for, tadaa!, the latest additions).
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

valiant

Post by valiant » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:46 pm

Thanks !

AxiMaxi
Gear: Ensoniq SQ-1+, Emu ESI-32, Alesis Quadraverb, Roland A-880, Samson Powerbrite PB11, Neutrik NYS-SPP-L, AKG K240 Studio, Mackie CFX16

Post by AxiMaxi » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:04 am

Perhaps you could add the Crumar Trilogy and the Ensoniq SQ-1/SQ-2/SQ-1+/SQ-2+ to your list?

vintagesynth
Retired Admin

Post by vintagesynth » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:44 pm

AxiMaxi wrote:Perhaps you could add the Crumar Trilogy and the Ensoniq SQ-1/SQ-2/SQ-1+/SQ-2+ to your list?
Doesn't matter what is on the list. Anybody can add whatever they want if they are knowledgeable about it.

Come on people, let's get some more submissions goin' again! :D
Retired admin. Please do not PM me for support.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:52 pm

That's easy for you to say.. we actually need to have something to review which isn't @ VSE already, and we have to be experienced with it, to make the review a worthy read. Let alone that someone actually needs to be able to write things down in a way that makes it easy to read.

The only thing I have which is not covered here, is a VL70m, but I'm not really into that, apart from running through the presets - never ran any in-depth editor. So, I'm not going to do that.. I would if I would be an expert, but alas.. my expert synth was already covered by me ^_^.

And someone should do the VL1 too!
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

SWAN

Post by SWAN » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:40 am

Im a bit confused how this site is VINTAGE SYNTH EXPLORER however it is being updated with plugins and things like the Akai Miniak...?

vintagesynth
Retired Admin

Post by vintagesynth » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:06 am

CS_TBL wrote:That's easy for you to say.. we actually need to have something to review which isn't @ VSE already, and we have to be experienced with it, to make the review a worthy read. Let alone that someone actually needs to be able to write things down in a way that makes it easy to read.

The only thing I have which is not covered here, is a VL70m, but I'm not really into that, apart from running through the presets - never ran any in-depth editor. So, I'm not going to do that.. I would if I would be an expert, but alas.. my expert synth was already covered by me ^_^.

And someone should do the VL1 too!
But you're only 1 more submission away from being a VSE Review Team member ;)
SWAN wrote:Im a bit confused how this site is VINTAGE SYNTH EXPLORER however it is being updated with plugins and things like the Akai Miniak...?
From the home page:
This has grown to include modern digital and analog emulators, software synths, plug-ins, and other new types of synthesizers and samplers.

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:07 am

vintagesynth wrote: But you're only 1 more submission away from being a VSE Review Team member ;)
I'm curious… I did make enough submissions to be a "review team member" and indeed I got the badge. But now it's reverted to the badge I had prior. What gives?

vintagesynth
Retired Admin

Post by vintagesynth » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:25 am

EmptySet wrote:
vintagesynth wrote: But you're only 1 more submission away from being a VSE Review Team member ;)
I'm curious… I did make enough submissions to be a "review team member" and indeed I got the badge. But now it's reverted to the badge I had prior. What gives?
Did you donate to VSE since? Maybe that switched the rank.

MIDI_Thru_Kid
Gear: KORG Radias
Roland JX-3P
Roland TR-505
Roland TR-626
Yamaha RX5
Yamaha TX7
hobnox.com
Drum Samples (All of them)
Yamaha Trombone
Band: MIDI Thru

Post by MIDI_Thru_Kid » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:03 pm

I personally would REALLY like to write out reviews for the Yamaha RX Drum machines. All of them. :D

They are SOO underrated, and there is hardly and information on them at all, anywhere. I feel it's time for them to be learned about.

I just gotta hit those manuals up, hahaha.
-Alex

"What I've noticed about this hobby/career is... You Just Can't Stop."

computron
Band: Computron

Post by computron » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:58 pm

nice rx 5 review midi thru kid :thumbsup: Not much info info on the net .Thats by far the best rx5 vid I have seen as well.I picked up a rx 5 a little less then a year ago for 30 dollars and it was money well spent.love the outs!
Living the Electro Life

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:46 am

Just a minor check up: large sample libraries (a.k.a. virtual instruments), you know, stuff from Vienna, EWQL.. is there a place for that here too?

Some thoughts:
- orchestral stuff usually has little to do with vintage synths, or at least what people see as vintage in this place.
- nonetheless, orchestral sounds are/were present in ROMplers and early samplers, it's just that today's libs are 10000 times bigger, but the concept is the same.
- there's nothing of the likes yet at VSE, for a reason?
- it's never been hardware (unless you see the computer it runs on as hardware, which it technically is.. but .. ahwell.. you know.. :P), while other softsynths here tend to have a connection to something vintage of some sorts (Arturia etc.)
- ..meaning a possible shift towards KVR :lol:
FM8 vids

vintagesynth
Retired Admin

Post by vintagesynth » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:24 pm

CS_TBL wrote:Just a minor check up: large sample libraries (a.k.a. virtual instruments), you know, stuff from Vienna, EWQL.. is there a place for that here too?

Some thoughts:
- orchestral stuff usually has little to do with vintage synths, or at least what people see as vintage in this place.
- nonetheless, orchestral sounds are/were present in ROMplers and early samplers, it's just that today's libs are 10000 times bigger, but the concept is the same.
- there's nothing of the likes yet at VSE, for a reason?
- it's never been hardware (unless you see the computer it runs on as hardware, which it technically is.. but .. ahwell.. you know.. :P), while other softsynths here tend to have a connection to something vintage of some sorts (Arturia etc.)
- ..meaning a possible shift towards KVR :lol:
No sample libraries. That is a whole 'nuther can of worms... This should be about instruments (hardware or software). 8-)

By the way, I'd love to see some folks here add some more reviews...A couple of you are only 1 review away from earning that VSE Review Team rank here on the forums :) Anyway, we are rolling out four new additions to the site in the next day or so too!