Factors that increase/decrease price of vintage synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Re: Factors that increase/decrease price of vintage synths

Post by balma » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:36 pm

sensorium wrote:Only 2 factors influence the price of synths:

1) Supply
2) Demand

Sorry for my smart a*s-ness

that's the resume of the whole content of Micro-economics 101 4 months course at the career of Business Administration :D

And it's right, but indeed there are other factors. For example, the dolar transaction to other coins, has a good mix of several "sub-ingredients"

A gossip, a new band, a hip hop artist that was paid $$$$ in order to make merchandising over its new shinning Neko.... those factors play an important role on the price and demand.

Or maybe my question is more related to "wich factors can increase the demand of x synth"

Certainly the VSE reviews can make a lot of weight, at least, on the final decision. Most of the synth descriptions on Ebay, are copy pasted from here
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:25 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:No amount of my raving about the immense power of the CS-15 has seemed to have an effect on its value.
I'm disappointed in all of you. :lol:
i abbreviation

TL:DR

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:41 pm

It has been interesting watching the demand for TB303's since the 777, x0xb0x, and the like, have come out. I bought a TR606 and TB303 as a pair in 2003 for $850. That was around the time the 777 was still a hot item. Prices for it have fluctuated quite a bit since. I think if most of the people who've never used one, yet lusted after one,(to keep, not to flip) got a chance to try and program it, the demand would be considerably less.

The steady increase in demand for SH-101's came as a shock to me. I bought one for $220 in 2000, and thought that was too much. I haven't been able to figure out why anyone would prefer it to something more powerful. It doesn't have a gimmick like the 303, and I've heard two VST's that came close to imitating it well, especially for bass. Must be that stupid mod grip.

The MS-20 was mentioned earlier, and I have to say upon finally trying it, it's a fine example imo of overhyped equals overpriced. I felt like I would never use it for anything but a toy, and possibly to get grungy highpass noises. This coming from me who bought a Jupiter 8 in 2007. :oops: But I'd wanted one of those for 16 years before getting one.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

KLAXON

Post by KLAXON » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:56 pm

I don't know about now, as the forums don't seem anywhere near as active as they were a few years ago, and there is also a bunch more synth blogs and youtube videos then there was before, but...

A few years ago VSE threads definitely had a drastic affect on ebay synth prices. I used to follow the ebay and synth prices back then, and when there was a thread or two here on VSE praising a certain (usually vintage analogue) synth, the price on ebay would jump dramatically, sometimes even double the normal going ebay rate at the time. The same used to hold true for the matrix blog, when he posted an ebay link to some vintage synth, the synth he posted would go for significantly more than it normally would.

With all the blogs and youtube videos around now, and VSE not as active anymore, I doubt that is still the case, but it most definitely used to be.
.....i have some things that create and sculpt sound.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:13 pm

I don't see many real 303s for sale any more so at least the glut of clones seems to have slowed down the gear flippers.

The Moog LP has really weakened the market for lower end Moogs like the MG1 and Source.

What's really curious is the rewriting of history that has made the DX7 cool again, will the D50 and M1 be lucky enough to follow suit?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.