Who is JOE ??

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Who is JOE ??

Post by Scories » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:43 pm

I've been reading many user reviews on this site, and for every synth, it seems to be comment from a guy called JOE saying things like "yeah, nice synth, but for basses, the CS-10 eats this thing for breakfast", or "nice stuff, but not as fun as a CS-10", "classic synth, but not as ballsy as the CS-10"...

Hey JOE, what's so great about the CS-10 to devote your life to it? Is this the result of a lifetime search for the best synth that's ever been created or are you a teenage who's in love with your 3rd synth? Or do you have many CS-10 to get rid off and want to increase its value?

I am curious.. :)

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Who is JOE ??

Post by Solderman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:01 pm

It's an acronym:
Jubilantly
Offending
Everyone

At least everyone who isn't impressed with a CS-10.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Scories

Post by Scories » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:07 pm

So that's irony, a running gag. Seems like I'm learning new expressions as English is just my 2nd language.
But all that cs-10 hype on this site, is that just a hoax?

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:20 am

Maybe someone's selling one? ;)

Mention a synth here, and ebayers up their start prices..
Stephen(2)

Scories

Post by Scories » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:39 am

That's true. In fact, that was one of my 3 hypothesis from the initial post.

I'm sure that a someone who want to get rid of a synth could write numerous over-the-top reviews, start a few threads, state that he would not consider living without [xxx] synth, send some Youtube clips with carefully selected very-best patches posted as 'this morning's noodling with my wonderful [xxx] synth' and then putting it super overpriced on ebay.

So who really loves a cs-10?
Recently've been tempted to get one after reading a few raving reviews and then realised that all thoses praises could well have been written by some emotive teeneager. Then I remember a dozen years ago I tried an analog Yamaha synth that looked like the cs-10/20.. and at that time I thought it did not sound very good. I was totally new to synths but I had Juno 6, a Korg Sigma and a Minikorg 700s and the all sounded better to me. (???)

Spending time on this site can create weird side-effets! :?

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:44 am

Yeah, worse part now is someone looking to buy a MS-20 could now think the CS-10 is better?!? Pfft.

In my opinion the MS-20 eats, partially digests and projectile vomits CS-10 on every occasion :D

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:51 am

It's quite simple folks. This is someone who is like one of those people who said Jack Dempsey was better than Ali. Different time periods, different people. Apples and Oranges. This is someone who is broadcasting their opinion and doesn't care what anyone thinks, so what does it matter? Remember, Jubilantly Offending Everyone.

And as far as deciding what synth is best for you, do your damndest to play one in person and let your ears be the judge. Any other venue risks disappointment, loss of great amounts of money, wasted time deliberating whether you made the right decision, etc.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Scories

Post by Scories » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:11 am

But I have to recognize that if you are into a very narrow musical style like acid or trance, just coming with an 'underdog analog synth' could be a fresh move. Minimoogs, Juno's, MS-20's.. they all sound good, but if you make the same simple tricks with every great synths you have, they will all become boring after a while. So having, let's say a CS-10 bassline will make just the tiny difference that differentiate you from the rest. I call this the 'Astral Projection Syndrome'; wasting great synths for a very narrow musical style.

Am I elitist?

Scories

Post by Scories » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:53 am

Narrow can be cool, yes.. but not in a hyper-travalled path. I'd would really like to compose a mini-album by only using a sh-101 and a spatula.. if I had the time. That would be narrow I guess.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:57 am

How you give yourself the edge is up to you, not some gadget you put on a pedestal. If your mentality is "I prefer a narrow musical style, but want to push the edge", then the assumption would be you already understand the limits of your tools and need to expand. Just adding something new from hearsay, adds an unknown element that could either be an asset or a distraction. If you instead add something to your arsenal because it speaks to you and inspires you, the concept of an underdog synth will completely lose its meaning because its now important to you.
--Solderman no more.

Scories

Post by Scories » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:09 am

Right, but that was just a random example. I was just trying to say that severe constraints (which is an other form of narrow music) can push creativity to unexpected new directions. That's very different from getting, for example a 303-like sound from an overlooked analog synth which is just modifying an established standard (narrow too, but in a different way). Maybe I just don't translate accurately my ideas in English. Anyway, thanks for chatting! I should just go to bed.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:25 am

The original point was "What's so great about the CS-10?", correct? ie. "Why would someone go to such lengths to express adoration, even if they are just joking and just want to annoy people?".
My guess is only you could decide, and the best method is to actually play one. My question is, what is the motive of your interest? If that reason is "Maybe when I first played the Yamaha CS-XX I was not impressed, but I'm willing to give it another shot, because someone else may have believed in it", then that seems genuine. If instead it was "What if that less expensive, less well-liked synth has some hidden potential that I could exploit?", I would not be impressed, because it has already been done. It's how the classic synths became legendary in the first place, and the demand for them increased. For an unknown potential, it could also end up being a complete waste of time: trying to draw blood from a stone.
--Solderman no more.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:00 am

Looking at the CS-10, I'd say it's a pretty cool single-osc monosynth. If it sounds like one half of a CS-15, I'd say it's a great sounding single-osc monosynth. I would resist, looking at its functionality, saying that it exceeds an MS-20, though.
To exceed the MS-20, you need the CS-15. :twisted:
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Scories

Post by Scories » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:36 am

Solderman wrote:"What's so great about the CS-10?" [...] "Why would someone go to such lengths to express adoration, even if they are just joking and just want to annoy people?" [...] What is the motive of your interest? [...] "What if that less expensive, less well-liked synth has some hidden potential that I could exploit?" [...] For an unknown potential, it could also end up being a complete waste of time: trying to draw blood from a stone.
Oh! I asked myself all those questions.

About sound design from analog synths, I have to agree that quite everything has already been done. I think it's very hard to come up with something totally new from any analog synth... or you will have to use external up-to-date sound-mangling effects. Otherwise, these sounds are not a novelty anymore, even when it's from an unknown analog synth.

A few years ago, I have stopped composing with synthesizers for that reason; I felt that it was getting harder and harder to come with new sounds by only using synths. So I decided to create very odd sound combinations from accoustic recordings. After a few years of experiments, I've started listenning some electronic music again and it convinced me that synths really are part of my far-away musical roots. I just changed my mind about the analog synths. I no longer perceive them as a way to push the limits of sound design, but simply as instruments.. as obvious as this statement might sounds! I think it's possible to create fresh music by using 'classic' analog sound the same way it's possible to create something completely new by using the instruments of a symphonic orchestra. Therefore, I've started searching everywhere for classic analog sounds. On this site, the CS-10 seemed to be the flavour of the month.

Anyway, it made me realise that what I was really looking for was the warm musical sound of a genuine Moog. That's certainly not the only synth I love, but I felt that playing a Moog is more like playing a familiar instrument that you really love (because of its familiar sound). For pure experiments and sound design, I would rather use softwares or a digital synth (or a modular if I could afford it), but for classic sound that resonnates into our subconscious and emotions, there is not a lot of choices.

In fact, the only question I had was: Who wants us to buy a cs-10??! ;)

Scories

Post by Scories » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:43 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Looking at the CS-10, I'd say it's a pretty cool single-osc monosynth. If it sounds like one half of a CS-15, I'd say it's a great sounding single-osc monosynth. I would resist, looking at its functionality, saying that it exceeds an MS-20, though.
To exceed the MS-20, you need the CS-15. :twisted:
Greetings Mr. A.G..

I never had the opportunity to mention, but I really enjoyed your Minimoog videos on YouTube. That was convincing! :)
You motivated me to get a ...Minimonsta. Well that's the best I can do for now.

The CS-15 sounds great on paper... but I am not 100% convinced (read my previous post).
Btw, can you sync it with a Kenton Pro-solo (+SH-101 & TR-606)?