Best Synth, Worst Synth under $500

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
drsynth
Gear: Arrick 88 modular Blofeld MicroWaveXT MicroQ Matrix6 VirusTI Prophet8 Lead 2X DX7II TX816 Arp Axxe PAIA P4700J R3 Drumtraks FIZMO
Band: Kindred Lost

Re: Best Synth, Worst Synth under $500

Post by drsynth » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:16 pm

Best:
Blofeld (Sandblasting powerful with multi-mode)

Matrix 6R (smoothest *programmable* analog synth in a dirt cheap package I've ever bought)

Worst: Any general midi ROMpler (like a Yamaha PSR510) No way to change the sounds and the only saving feature is a plethora of beat box rhythm generators (bossa nova, disco beats etc.)
-I was a teenage synthaholic-

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:06 pm

BEST: V-Synth 2.0 could -- inexplicably -- be found for near that price ... Found mine for almost that BEFORE economic meltdown ... Head and shoulders BETTER than anything mentioned so far ...

JUNO-60 might be found for around that as well ... Got mine for about that TWO YEARS ago ... Prices are only going up and up, though ... Wonderfully powerful, pure and raw synth with great interface ...

Not a synth ... but picked one of these up yesterday for the magic 5 bill mark ... The sound quality is unbelievable and really makes a huge difference ... My first vintage ef/x box ...

WORST SYNTH ... Hard to say ... even something I didn't gel with ... like MS2K ... has plenty of good qualities ... Even MicroKorg has its moments ... And if you ran it through SPAZ ECHO ... WATCH OUT !!!

WORST ... I'd probably have to say SOMETHING SOFT ... I.E. on cumputer ...
JP8,JP6,FanX7,VSynthXT;NI Maschine; KP3x2;RE-201;MOTU828mk2;HS80ms

MY NEW ALBUM ... 70s Electronica / Synth Songwriting
http://electrocabaret.bandcamp.com/

rlmz00

Post by rlmz00 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:40 pm

well taking a quick look at the current price of a V-synth on ebay...I think the lowest one goes for around $2000 so not exactly in the under $500 range. I find it very hard to believe you got one for around that price unless there was something seriously wrong with it.

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:50 pm

Minty mint, thank you very much ... I've seen several V-Synths for crazy low prices ... I almost let mine go for $500 recently ... But I think I'm bringing it back into the rig that already includes V-Synth XT -- often used exclusive for VC-2 -- which I got also mint for $650 ...
Last edited by Diametro on Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:51 pm

rlmz00 wrote:well taking a quick look at the current price of a V-synth on ebay...I think the lowest one goes for around $2000 so not exactly in the under $500 range. I find it very hard to believe you got one for around that price unless there was something seriously wrong with it.
D's talking about a standard V, not a GT. People confuse the v2.0 OS w/ the GT sometimes.

Still, 500's quite a stretch. V-Synth prices have bottomed out already at the $700-800 range, and their prices are likely to increase with all the recent praise. $500 is a rare score indeed.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

rlmz00

Post by rlmz00 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:46 am

I've been reading some reviews and a bunch of user reviews as I've been intrigued by the V-synth for a little while now. seems that there are various problems and bugs/glitches to both the original and the gt model...even with v2.0 software as well as many people complaining about it actually not sounding very good at all. apparently most of the control features such as the d-beam and trip pad and others are very glitchy and steppy and generally not smooth.
anyway just seems to have very mixed reviews and sounds like it could be a real headache. Im still intrigued as it seems like one of the few ground breaking pieces of gear to come out in recent times but at this point...after all I've read, I'd be afraid to drop even $500 let alone what they usually go for only to potentially be plagued with said problems.

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:53 am

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about ...

It does what it does and it sounds great and unique with outstanding build quality and one of the best control surfaces ever ...

What's so magical about $500 anyway ... ???

rlmz00

Post by rlmz00 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:23 am

???what is so magical about $500??? I don't get it?
not all of us are spoiled little rich kids or have $500 (even if you could get one for that low) to throw away every other day we want a new synth.
so dropping that kind of money on something that may not be all its cracked up to be is pretty understandable.
what are you confused about?

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:08 am

I've never heard or experienced trouble with V-synths of any kind [will soon upgrade to a GT :)]

Best under $500: An1x, MS200, Ion, JX-3P, Evo, Dark Energy, Blofeld.... lots of cheap good stuff actually.

Worst under $500: Too many.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:35 pm

rlmz00 wrote:I've been reading some reviews and a bunch of user reviews as I've been intrigued by the V-synth for a little while now. seems that there are various problems and bugs/glitches to both the original and the gt model...even with v2.0 software as well as many people complaining about it actually not sounding very good at all. apparently most of the control features such as the d-beam and trip pad and others are very glitchy and steppy and generally not smooth.
anyway just seems to have very mixed reviews and sounds like it could be a real headache. Im still intrigued as it seems like one of the few ground breaking pieces of gear to come out in recent times but at this point...after all I've read, I'd be afraid to drop even $500 let alone what they usually go for only to potentially be plagued with said problems.
Please, take my advice and go for it - it's a very good synth and the controllers are first class, I've been using it for years and am yet to find any noticeable bugs in the OS - certainly nothing close to some software these days.

I'm sorry but I find the fact that you're having second thoughts about spending $500 on this laughable, I paid over 2k AU and haven't regretted it since, honestly current prices are just a joke for this machine.

All of your above concerns are completely nonexistent the second you use one, trust me you owe it to yourself to try one out - but it's like any piece of gear, just because it might not suit everyone's needs doesn't mean it's not still a damn good piece of kit ;)

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:47 pm

rlmz00 wrote:???what is so magical about $500??? I don't get it?
not all of us are spoiled little rich kids or have $500 (even if you could get one for that low) to throw away every other day we want a new synth.
so dropping that kind of money on something that may not be all its cracked up to be is pretty understandable.
Ummm... Some of us work for a living?

(Not me, of course)

Relax, dude...
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:30 pm

rlmz00 wrote:???what is so magical about $500??? I don't get it?
Your anger ... ???

Seriously, though ... My point is that sometimes it's better to save up and buy something quality -- and wait for a killer deal -- instead of hitting some arbitrary price point ... and that maybe "under $500" isn't exactly where one wants to be ...

You are absolutely right about one thing, though ... I AM SPOILED ... I have a lot of nice gears for which I am truly grateful ... but it's not because anybody GAVE THEM TO ME ... I've been building my studio up for eight years now ... and I've sacrificed A LOT to get there and, more importantly, BE THERE ... money, companionship, other activities, an actual career (which I used to have before the music production bug bit and infected me forever ... ), etc ...

The flipside of this, though, is that you shouldn't wait or postpone your musical ambitions until you have THIS or THAT or until your studio IS JUST SO ... You can make music with ANYTHING ... and sometimes (but not always and certainly not when I gaze across my studio), I think one is better off that way ...

Good luck ... !!!

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:47 pm

Diametro wrote: ... I have a lot of nice gears for which I am truly grateful ... but it's not because anybody GAVE THEM TO ME ... etc ...

Good luck ... !!!
+1

It's called determination and priorities. Has nothing to do with being given anything.
If i were married w/ kids there's no way I'd have ever amassed even close to a third of the gear I have now.

I've hurt my own credit score slagging off bills, borrowed for rent money, and even eaten cat food in order to hang on to synths and other gear to keep the studio going.
Sacrifices.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Lothar-Lammfromm

Post by Lothar-Lammfromm » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:59 am

Best: Korg DSS-1 (reason: Filtersound, nice FX, makes Samples sounding analogue)
Worst: Roland SH-201 | Novation Bassstation (reason: i just hate the sound)

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:39 am

Diametro wrote:...You are absolutely right about one thing, though ... I AM SPOILED ... I have a lot of nice gears for which I am truly grateful ... but it's not because anybody GAVE THEM TO ME ... I've been building my studio up for eight years now ... and I've sacrificed A LOT to get there and, more importantly, BE THERE ... money, companionship, other activities, an actual career (which I used to have before the music production bug bit and infected me forever ... ), etc ...
Very good advice, more people should take this in, it takes most people a long time to get a good, hardware based studio these days, it's not like you just one day decide you might buy that Jupiter-8 you've had your eye on, if you're anything like me, you scrimp and save for years until you are able to finally get one.

You are so right, there are so many sacrifices to get to the point where you have a good setup, it really does take 6 - 8 yrs of fairly constant saving on an average wage to make one of the better synth studio's, so unless you've taken that time and sacrifice out of your life (ie not constantly wasting money on beer, movies, games and all that kind of c**p is one way) I can't understand why some people would be jelous of people with an above average amount of rare/desireable gear when they've only been into this for a couple of years - you really do need to commit 100% to get anywhere, and remember, it takes time. ;)