Best Synth, Worst Synth under $500

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Re: Best Synth, Worst Synth under $500

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:00 pm

shaft9000 wrote:....

I've hurt my own credit score slagging off bills, borrowed for rent money, and even eaten cat food in order to hang on to synths and other gear to keep the studio going.
Sacrifices.
Cat food eh? :shock:
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:48 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:and remember, it takes time.
And you can make a lot of good music on the way there. Honestly, I think I could get by with an older generation ROMpler (Motif ES, Triton, etc.), and an inexpensive VA (Micron, an older Nord, etc.). Would my music be better with a $20K setup? Probably not. Would I have more fun with a $20K setup? Absolutely. So I do hope to improve my own setup -- not sure, though, that I'm willing to eat cat food to do it ;) -- but I have to remember that I already have enough to make good music. Or, to put it another way, if I can't make good music with what I have, then I can't make good music...

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:44 pm

Phollop Willing PA wrote: Cat food eh? :shock:
Purina cat chow, the blue bag.....i should add that i was making an animated short, alone at the time, which clearly drove me mad for many a moon. :|
if anyone happens to feel that creating electronic music is 'hard goings' sometimes....heh...try writing, designing, drawing, painting, scoring, doing all f/x and titles etc etc... on a little 4-min short animated film ...with a paltry budget, and working and going to school...it's NUTS :lol:
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:50 pm

Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

skweeegor

Post by skweeegor » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:00 pm

shaft9000 wrote:
Purina cat chow, the blue bag.....i should add that i was making an animated short, alone at the time, which clearly drove me mad for many a moon. :|
if anyone happens to feel that creating electronic music is 'hard goings' sometimes....heh...try writing, designing, drawing, painting, scoring, doing all f/x and titles etc etc... on a little 4-min short animated film ...with a paltry budget, and working and going to school...it's NUTS :lol:

Jesus man, would cheap a*s bread + protein powder really have been that much more expensive. :lol: I just bought a 5lb tub at Costco for 33$...funnily enough, it smells exactly like cat food. They probably use the same stuff.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:54 pm

shaft9000 wrote:
No pictures, no cat food :)

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:09 am

bwahahaha - i didn't own a camera then wiseguy!

...and for the LAST F*CKING TIME :lol: - get your goddamn sig straight. i wrote that s**t:
http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... ce#p546680

minime123 tried to tell you whatsup several times, too - are you goin' blind, man???? :lol:
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Old Iron Giant
Gear: Virus Ti2, Indig2, EmuXL7, Microkorg.
Band: KHz+

Post by Old Iron Giant » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:05 am

Best:
Alesis ION

Worst:
Alesis ION....

story of my life, a love/hate relationship.
whats to expect though? packing so much VA-punch, for under a buck..

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:46 am

shaft9000 wrote:bwahahaha - i didn't own a camera then wiseguy!

...and for the LAST F*CKING TIME :lol: - get your goddamn sig straight. i wrote that s**t:
http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... ce#p546680

minime123 tried to tell you whatsup several times, too - are you goin' blind, man???? :lol:
no i knew i just never cared enough to change it, but your knickers seem to be in a tight little ball so i'll change it/

Synthax
Band: Juju beans & Potato wedges

Post by Synthax » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:53 am

Best: Alesis Ion/micron, nord lead, oberheim matrix 6, roland alpha juno, nord micro modular
Worst:?

CapnMarvel

Post by CapnMarvel » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:47 pm

rlmz00 wrote:???what is so magical about $500??? I don't get it?
not all of us are spoiled little rich kids or have $500 (even if you could get one for that low) to throw away every other day we want a new synth.
so dropping that kind of money on something that may not be all its cracked up to be is pretty understandable.
what are you confused about?
STFU NOOB!!!

There, does that make everyone feel better?

Yes, it takes YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS to put together a hardware studio that even operates. Thus the seedy popularity of pirated softsynths and cheap Novation controllers. I'm very, very lucky I have a job that facilitates this habit. It could be worse, of course - I could be into high end consumer audio or vintage motorcycles or drugs. It's also good to know that with very few exceptions, all of the hardware we buy can be resold easily and usually at a small (or not so small) profit.

Best: Roland MKS-70 (or JX-10, but it's been hard to find a $500 JX-10 recently, I've looked), DSI Evo, D-550, maybe the ION.

Worst: The broken one.
Gear List: A bunch that go 'WHHONNGG!', several that go 'tweedle tweedle' and 'thumpity', and a few that don't make any noise at all but have lots of delightful little lights on them.

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:00 pm

even tho I have actually never tried either, my vote for best goes to the dEVO, Blofeld and Mopho. I am always considering to jump on one every time I see a MEK for under $850, but so far my wallet is safe. I would also mention the EMX, not as a synth, but as a very nice "groovebox" (for lack of better term)

worst: I had the MC-09 for 2 hours, which was enough to make me vomit and then sell

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:23 am

Best: (Take your pick)

Polysix prices are rising though, got 2 of them for less than $500 combined and only needed a simple fix so they are out there cheaper if you wanna take the risk :)

SY/TG77 - monster synth, mostly misunderstood until someone gives it a proper hands on (so cheap but so good)

AX80 - Most unknown, under rated and overlooked ANALOG synth for this price, hard to get hold of one though

JX-3P - fun little synth

AN1x Best VA for that price imo

D-50 Best/most characteful non FM digital for that price imo

There are many 'worst' but I'll stick to the popular ones:

Korg M1 - boring, lifeless, hollow and with nowhere to go synthesis wise, completely redundant and the VST is actually an improvement (and still boring)

Poly800 - meh

MS2000 / Microkorg
- meh part 2

MIDI_Thru_Kid
Gear: KORG Radias
Roland JX-3P
Roland TR-505
Roland TR-626
Yamaha RX5
Yamaha TX7
hobnox.com
Drum Samples (All of them)
Yamaha Trombone
Band: MIDI Thru

Post by MIDI_Thru_Kid » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:15 am

Pro5 wrote:Best: (Take your pick)

Polysix prices are rising though, got 2 of them for less than $500 combined and only needed a simple fix so they are out there cheaper if you wanna take the risk :)

SY/TG77 - monster synth, mostly misunderstood until someone gives it a proper hands on (so cheap but so good)

AX80 - Most unknown, under rated and overlooked ANALOG synth for this price, hard to get hold of one though

JX-3P - fun little synth

AN1x Best VA for that price imo

D-50 Best/most characteful non FM digital for that price imo

There are many 'worst' but I'll stick to the popular ones:

Korg M1 - boring, lifeless, hollow and with nowhere to go synthesis wise, completely redundant and the VST is actually an improvement (and still boring)

Poly800 - meh

MS2000 / Microkorg
- meh part 2

I second that list. All "cheap," but all are serioue gems in their own way.
-Alex

"What I've noticed about this hobby/career is... You Just Can't Stop."

nhand42

Post by nhand42 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:45 pm

Best: Yamaha DX7. It's got charm, style, sound, it's great.

Worst: Roland Jupiter-4. Don't take that the wrong way; I love the sound, but the damn thing is never in tune. I spend more time with a screwdriver than with the keyboard on the JP4.