White Elka Keyboard (what model?)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
drsynth
Gear: Arrick 88 modular Blofeld MicroWaveXT MicroQ Matrix6 VirusTI Prophet8 Lead 2X DX7II TX816 Arp Axxe PAIA P4700J R3 Drumtraks FIZMO
Band: Kindred Lost

White Elka Keyboard (what model?)

Post by drsynth » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:49 pm

I used to play in a band that used an Elka string synth. It was small and white (or cream) colored and had maybe a 46 key bed. The controls were on the left and included volume and a couple of sliders for timbral changes. I can't recall the exact configuration.

Anyway, I don't remember the model. It was very cool sounding but not exactly the same as the Rhapsody which was much more popular and is still easy to find.

Any one know?

-David
-I was a teenage synthaholic-

drsynth
Gear: Arrick 88 modular Blofeld MicroWaveXT MicroQ Matrix6 VirusTI Prophet8 Lead 2X DX7II TX816 Arp Axxe PAIA P4700J R3 Drumtraks FIZMO

Re: White Elka Keyboard (what model?)

Post by drsynth » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:56 pm

Here is a photo of the right side of the keyboard. I don't know if I have another of the whole thing. It's just left of the Arp Axxe.

If I can stir one up, I'll post it here.

idiotboy

Post by idiotboy » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:57 pm

Maybe the Rhapsody 490?

drsynth

Post by drsynth » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:10 pm

Could be. The one we played was not black but the control looks familiar.

Too many years ago to define it as exact. If this is it then I guess it was a RHapsody but just not the model you normally see. Those are larger with a few controls on the top deck above the keyboard. I think TD used to use it pretty extensively in the early "Berlin School" days.

We usd ours with a Maestro Phase Shifter and I would jam 9 volt batteries in the keys to creat a drone while I was playing bass guitar and bass pedals or the Hammond and Arp. Pretty funny in hindsight.

Thanks!

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:31 pm

What you are describing could be the beige coloured Hohner String Vox (Which is really a re-badged Elka Rhapsody 490) sold under Hohner for the international market.

| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:52 pm

The Elka Rhapsody 490 was also sold under the name Hohner International String-vox. This is the one
pictured above. Most of the keyboards marketed and sold by Hohner International (UK and Belgium)
were manufactured in Italy by companies such as Elka, Elex and Logan.
Last edited by Micke on Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:17 pm

Btw, the Elka Rhapsody 490 came in beige/cream color too. Also, there was a beige/brown/silver version of the model
610. The one that Peter Baumann used with TD in the mid-to-late '70s had this color setting.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

drsynth

Post by drsynth » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:06 am

That's the one. I just remember it as "the Elka". It probably had an Elka tag on it somewhere. It wasn't until years later that I realized what the brand was.

Thanks Synth303. Another mystery solved!

-David