who uses keyboard workstation

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
nu-tellar

who uses keyboard workstation

Post by nu-tellar » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:26 pm

i have one m3 workstaion but, i really am enjoying the simple synths more. i am wondering if, i should just get rib of it. and get myself a sequencer sampler. i hate that i just have the m3 module. and if i try to sequence other synths from it it won`t play thru midi data from it. but, it will transmited after is recorded. i like about it that its sound engine is like a synth. it uses pcm sounds that you use as a sound oscillator and it also has two multi motes filters and it has an amp with drive circuit a bunch of modulator and, lots of controllers. before, i just use it as a sound module. so, i did no look at much to it self all did it from the computer with the computer editor. but, know i want to sequence every thing with hardware and, i want to get a new set up focus to sequence externally. it was my first hardware sound maker too.

i been thinking of getting rib of it. but, i don`t know if i will miss it. if, it was the keyboard version it woudl has been a nice controller but, is just the sound engine.

oh, know that i have synths with smaller sound banks, i prefer small sound bank in my synths too. less option to pick which is better for me.

do you use, and like to have a workstation around?

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Re: who uses keyboard workstation

Post by nvbrkr » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:43 pm

I thought most people came to that realization already some ten years ago?

I pile things on my Ensoniq workstation. It sort of functions as a table.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:16 pm

I actually do like Romler's for their playability, simplicity, speed etc, but ultimately the reason I don't actually use them is simple - I don't like the idea of having to fork out 2, 3, 4k+ (which will be worth very little of that once you've got your use out of it) for something that has 2000+ sounds of which If I'm honest I'll only really use 40 max of them 'cause the rest are s**t, and you're basically stuck with what the sounds are from the box. So if I don't like the other 1,960 sounds, I'm stuck with them. Whereas with a true synthesiser, if you don't like the presets you can completely change them from the ground up, this I like :D

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:24 pm

I use my fully expanded Fantom X7 everyday and enjoy it immensely ...

Love the vast array of high-quality, expertly programmed SRX sounds, skip back sampling (I route all synths from MOTU 828 mkii into Fantom for "always on" recording of audio if I don't feel like using Logic), sequencing (and audio tracks) if I need it, programmable arps for other synths, excellent keybed, etc. etc.

AS FOR THE O.P ...

Doesn't M3 have a favorites section for patches ... ??? (Fabtom does ... )

Save your "favorites" there and, viola!, there's your smaller sound bank ...
JP8,JP6,FanX7,VSynthXT;NI Maschine; KP3x2;RE-201;MOTU828mk2;HS80ms

MY NEW ALBUM ... 70s Electronica / Synth Songwriting
http://electrocabaret.bandcamp.com/

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:28 pm

You can program patches on romplers too. I use my Motif XS extensively, it's the hub of my setup. And I do program my own patches on it. Sure it's not as flexible as a real synthesizer but it's pretty capable and it sounds great. I have other synths to do the real synthy stuff on.

It's a good go-to board for bread 'n butter and acoustic sounds too. Need a piano? A violin? A flute? Drums? Romplers are good for those sorts of things. And the built-in sequencer on workstations can sure be handy if I don't feel like firing up a PC to record.

If your M3 doesn't have a favorites feature, you can always store your favorite patches in a specific bank or range of patch numbers to make them easy to find. I would probably trade that module in for the keyboard M3, or get another workstation.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:43 pm

I use a fully Expanded Fantom-Xa, gives me all the sounds i need. I don't use the presets on it though, not even as sound building blocks. I erased the entire user area and built my own user sounds from scratch. Now i have 256 user slots of everything from Elka Rhapsody's to pin sharp Moog leads to CS80 type leads and brass to VCS3 type sound effects to modulated and phased string machines and other organic analogue-esque sounds... do i need to own tons of analogue synths, nope...

If your an experienced synth programmer and know the UI inside out then you can make up all the sounds you need. Plus you can store them on your PC via .syx files (user sound library) or on CF card.

And having sampling and multisampling capabilties, increases the fun factor ten-fold.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

Raiven
Gear: See Signature.....
Band: Eventyde

Post by Raiven » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:48 pm

I love my M3. Will not do without it and my studio has always had a workstation in it since starting out in 1996. My studio is built around a workstation. I have always gotten my money's worth out of every workstation i've owned except Roland's Fantom series and Yamaha's original Motif.

The M3 has far too many features for me to get tired of it and I figure I'll likely have it for some time.

If your not getting along with it, then let it go. I felt the same way about my old analog synths and got rid of them.
Korg M3 (Fully Loaded), Blofeld Keyboard, MPC 2500 LE, (Monomachine), Logic Studio 8, Live 6, FM8, Absynth 4, Predator, Alpha3, Korg Legacy Collection, (Shioitor), Drumazon, Nepheton, Stylus RMX

http://www.myspace.com/eventydejams

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:40 pm

Yup, my mini studio is built around the budget M50. Love the immediacy, the touch screen, the arpeggiators, the dedicated drum track (I know, I know), and wide palette of sounds. And I do all my sequencing with it. If I upgrade in this area, it won't be to a computer-based setup, but to a higher-end workstation. For the foreseeable future, then, workstations will be at the center of my setup...

nu-tellar

Post by nu-tellar » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:42 pm

Doesn't M3 have a favorites section for patches ... ??? (Fabtom does ... )

Save your "favorites" there and, viola!, there's your smaller sound bank ...[/quote]

yeah it does have a favorite section to save favorites patches but, i always use it with the computer with the sound editor plugin inside my daw hos with a big screen no need for a favorite section patching storing but, i am going to sequence externally now, might have to do just what you just said. if, i keep it.
Synthaholic wrote:You can program patches on romplers too. I use my Motif XS extensively, it's the hub of my setup. And I do program my own patches on it. Sure it's not as flexible as a real synthesizer but it's pretty capable and it sounds great. I have other synths to do the real synthy stuff on.

i like it. it is also my first synth outside of the computer or rompler. i know my way around it a little. if, i wasn`t using the computer as the dedicated sequencer i am pretty sure i would have know it pretty well. i also think the touch screen make it a breeze. and, i do like the sequencer on it. i would have like it to be more subtable to record live. but, is great with the touch scree.

cons, i want to sequence three different synth with it. and i sync to drums machine.

It's a good go-to board for bread 'n butter and acoustic sounds too. Need a piano? A violin? A flute? Drums? Romplers are good for those sorts of things. And the built-in sequencer on workstations can sure be handy if I don't feel like firing up a PC to record.

this is what i am i don`t want to sequence in the computer. i will probably use the computer for finals edit.

If your M3 doesn't have a favorites feature, you can always store your favorite patches in a specific bank or range of patch numbers to make them easy to find. I would probably trade that module in for the keyboard M3, or get another workstation.
for me to fully enjoy it, i will definitely have to get the keyboard versions. see man the thing is i need a sequencer to drive my external synths and, i was thinking of getting something like a mpc 2500 just cause it have muliple ports. and if i have to get a another workstation or sampler seq, i will no keep this one. if, i can find a way so, all of this work smoothly. i will just trade the m3 module for the keyboard version.

for this couple of days i been trying to integrate all of this synth to work with the m3 i been got a kenton thru box so i don`t have to do long daisy chain but, i can get it to work right. i am just trying to find a good work flow.
Syn303 wrote:I use a fully Expanded Fantom-Xa, gives me all the sounds i need. I don't use the presets on it though, not even as sound building blocks. I erased the entire user area and built my own user sounds from scratch. Now i have 256 user slots of everything from Elka Rhapsody's to pin sharp Moog leads to CS80 type leads and brass to VCS3 type sound effects to modulated and phased string machines and other organic analogue-esque sounds... do i need to own tons of analogue synths, nope...

you mean you erase everything even the samples. what did you do loaded with the samples from those vintage synths.

If your an experienced synth programmer and know the UI inside out then you can make up all the sounds you need. Plus you can store them on your PC via .syx files (user sound library) or on CF card.

no a experience user here but, i know my way around. i could probably do it with some practices, though.

And having sampling and multisampling capabilties, increases the fun factor ten-fold.

nu-tellar

Post by nu-tellar » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:55 pm

i now how do you do if, you are going to use it. with more them a few synth. 6 to be more clear.

if, i keep it. i don`t want to even think of what i am going to get in a trade up in daddys.

Cerebral Infect

Post by Cerebral Infect » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:16 pm

I grew tired of having to start the PC, go through bunch of softsynth, have the keyboard plugged in, deal with latency just to have a acoustic piano sound. Therefore, I stumbled a Yamaha S90ES in pretty good shape. Excellent keybed, fun arpeggiator. It doesn`t feature a 40gig sampled piano, but a really good one none the less. And the bread and butter sound are also pretty good. I don`t use it for sound design (but it is appealing as it features the same architecture than my A3000 sampler that I sometime miss).

If you play keyboard for real. and you use traditionnal acoustic sounds in your compo and don`t want to spend an eternity fine tuning a sampler patch, a workstation is always useful.
Minimoog Voyager, Pulse 2, MS-20 Mini, Bass Station 2, Virus TI,DSI Mek, DSI Prophet 08, Nord Modular G2, x0xb0x, MB-6582, Sammich FM, Shruthi XT, Juno 106, S90ES, TX81Z, DM10X e-drums, Rocktron Banshee, Dr-110 and too many VSTs.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:50 pm

nu-tellar wrote:you mean you erase everything even the samples. what did you do loaded with the samples from those vintage synths.
My Fantom-Xa didn't come loaded with vintage synth samples, it came loaded with shitty rap-c**p and r n' b vocal samples, so that lot had to go. For vintage synth stuff you have put in the SRX-07: Ultimate Keys expansion board.

The more time you spend in-depth with and study your workstations UI/synth-engine the more you get to know how it all functions - that's where your experience and knowledge will come from, although it's harder if you have 2 or 3 different workstations by different manufacturer's then you have to work at them too!
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:31 pm

Workstations.. everyone's dirty little secret :D

I have a Fantom G6 that I'm somewhat pleased with. It sounds great and has really powerful FX processors. I use it strictly for bread-n-butter sounds (strings, organs, pianos, etc) when making house tracks. I was planning on using it to do sequencing as well, but the sequencer is garbage and Roland doesn't seem interested in fixing the problems with it. So, the sequencer is only used for playback (after creating/arranging MIDI tracks in Sonar) in order to get the tightest MIDI timing for final mixdown. I've considered selling it and just replacing it with a rack module but the used selling rate for Fantom G's is so low (due to forum-hate on roland-clan, numerous bugs and abandonment by Roland) that it's not worth it.

I really don't do any patch programming with it. If I'm doing synth programming, I'm using something more immediate and with a 1-knob-per-function interface.

nu-tellar

Post by nu-tellar » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:46 pm

i only use mine as a sound module for bread and butter sound too. and, i did no did much programming in it also. because i was using the computer and if i wanted to do some patch programming i would have do it in the computer with VIs. but, i notice that i get thing done more faster when using hardware. i want go go hardware now.

i been trying to sequence with it. the sequencer is good but, i am having problem sequencing all my synths from it.
i been thinking whether getting an mpc is worst it or no, and getting rib of this m3. if, i decide to keep it. and find a good way of sequencing everything from it. i might just grab a keyboard version. but, if no i just get an mpc. what i will no do is have to work station. so, if i get a mpc the m3 will go.

are any of you guys sequencing multiple synths from one hardware sequencer and how do you do it?

how do you ways do your hardware sequencing? do you just do a long daisy chain. maybe use a midi patch bay. or other. :oops:

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:47 pm

I used a W-30 quite extensively in the 90's.

I've got a couple of Fantom X6's (one @ home and one @ my furniture shop). I don't really use the sequencers often. They are great sounding ROMplers, though.