who uses keyboard workstation

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1493
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:16 am
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed
Location: Boston, MA

Re: who uses keyboard workstation

Post by StepLogik » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:02 am

nu-tellar wrote: are any of you guys sequencing multiple synths from one hardware sequencer and how do you do it?
Roland MV-8800 w/monitor and mouse is hands-down the best hardware sequencer (imo) for the money. This is what I used for a while and was quite pleased. It has two MIDI outs (3 if you buy the output expander and R-BUS break-out box). I sequenced many outboard synths from the MV-8800 with ease. The only bummer about the 8800 is the piano roll editor is a bit wonky and the MIDI note numbers on the pads can't be changed.

I've since gone back to computer sequencing (Cakewalk Sonar 8.5) for various reasons.

nu-tellar
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:50 am

Re: who uses keyboard workstation

Post by nu-tellar » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:10 am

Z wrote:I used a W-30 quite extensively in the 90's.

I've got a couple of Fantom X6's (one @ home and one @ my furniture shop).

you use two of them i can see why. that is great that you can get to play with your synths at work of course you own your own store. but, can you actually get quality time to play it.

I don't really use the sequencers often. They are great sounding ROMplers, though.
hey, men how do you sequence them do you use the computer for that?

nu-tellar
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:50 am

Re: who uses keyboard workstation

Post by nu-tellar » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:22 am

StepLogik wrote:
nu-tellar wrote: are any of you guys sequencing multiple synths from one hardware sequencer and how do you do it?
Roland MV-8800 w/monitor and mouse is hands-down the best hardware sequencer (imo) for the money. This is what I used for a while and was quite pleased. It has two MIDI outs (3 if you buy the output expander and R-BUS break-out box). I sequenced many outboard synths from the MV-8800 with ease. The only bummer about the 8800 is the piano roll editor is a bit wonky and the MIDI note numbers on the pads can't be changed.

that`s good what do you do if, you have to sequence more them the synth them the midi port out. since, that is out of production, and i hear that Roland is pretty bad with their instruments support that is something that i won`t even consider. i might grab a MPC25000 or 5000. that is something that i have my head set for. i don`t know how to stop the gas. i hope i can get the m3 to deliver for me. when i get out of work i am going to go see if i can figure this out.

I've since gone back to computer sequencing (Cakewalk Sonar 8.5) for various reasons.


i like the computer but, i got some really nice sequencer prophet 08 and machinedrum, plus jomox 999. i get better performer when i synch everything outside of the computer. plus, i have more fun. so, i either get it right or get it right. cause i just want to use my computer for recording the final mix, and doing the last edit.

User avatar
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3548
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 3:08 am
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape
Location: Docking Bay 94 (Dallas, TX)
Contact:

Re: who uses keyboard workstation

Post by Z » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:44 am

nu-tellar wrote:
Z wrote:I used a W-30 quite extensively in the 90's.

I've got a couple of Fantom X6's (one @ home and one @ my furniture shop).

you use two of them i can see why. that is great that you can get to play with your synths at work of course you own your own store. but, can you actually get quality time to play it.

I don't really use the sequencers often. They are great sounding ROMplers, though.
hey, men how do you sequence them do you use the computer for that?
Right now I reeally don't do any sequencing at all, just live to 2 track noodles. I did get an Octopus back in the summer which I plan to integrate with an ASQ-10 I bought nearly 3 years ago.

I plan to stay away from computer sequencing and recording (I've got a Tascam 8 track cassette I've been using for around 17 years and got me a 1/2" 16 track this summer) at all costs.

Back before the economy tanked, I did have more quality time with my gear at work than at home with parental and spousal obligations. Now I've had to let go of my employees and run the business by myself.

User avatar
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 2042
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:13 am
Real name: Dave
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney
Location: VanNuys, CA USA
Contact:

Re: who uses keyboard workstation

Post by shaft9000 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:55 am

the A6 is a workstation - if it ever existed in analog form. It even has 16 sequencers :lol:
otherwise, my 'workstation' is my notepad. pencil and paper works wonders.

oh....we were talking about ROMplers? how 20th century :D
I guess they're handy for live work but I never feel the need to reach for one when recording. I prefer old Mellotron optigon & Chamberlain c**p (M-Tron) to 99% of what the ROMplers today have to offer.
Is the D-50 considered a ROMpler? I thought LA was a special kind of S+S. I like that one a lot. And the JD-990. But those two don't work or sound like the JVs/Proteus'/Tritons' I had before and have since sold off.
Digital Piano, schmiano... record with a real one, they still exist - and in abundance. It's not that bloody hard to get a real one recorded and you'll be a lot happier that you did.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

User avatar
Gianni
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:55 pm

Re: who uses keyboard workstation

Post by Gianni » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:41 am

Yamaha workstations will always have a place in my heart.

User avatar
meatballfulton
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6127
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:29 pm
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: who uses keyboard workstation

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:00 pm

A few comments:

-- If you are not driving MIDI data to external hardware while recording sequences you are doing something wrong, RTFM some more.

-- You don't need to trade up to the keyboard version of the M3, you just buy the keyboard module and hook it your M3 module. Check with your Korg dealer.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

nu-tellar
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:50 am

Re: who uses keyboard workstation

Post by nu-tellar » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:24 pm

meatballfulton wrote:A few comments:

-- If you are not driving MIDI data to external hardware while recording sequences you are doing something wrong, RTFM some more.

yeah turns out i was doing something wrong. i thought tha once you selected a track the drum pad would have automatically configure to control that track. that is no the case the pads are assign to just one track or tracks. but, you have to assigned in drum/pad menu page.

-- You don't need to trade up to the keyboard version of the M3, you just buy the keyboard module and hook it your M3 module. Check with your Korg dealer.
i check men they don`t sell the keyboard separatly. if, you go to the korg web site you will see a lot of complain about that from people who did the same misted i did. it sucks that they don`t sell the keyboard by it self.

Ashe37
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3916
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:43 pm
Real name: Unpronounceable
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V
Location: Central VA

Re: who uses keyboard workstation

Post by Ashe37 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:17 pm

I'd like to have an M3 but use my Karma for the same thing. The M3 can take a Radias add-on board that gives it a 24-voice 4-part VA onboard with the M3, and with the M3's VST control you can integrate it into a DAW workflow. Add the EXBFW option, and you get six separate channels of digital audio comin in straight from the unit... yummy..

nu-tellar
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:50 am

Re: who uses keyboard workstation

Post by nu-tellar » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:32 pm

Ashe37 wrote:I'd like to have an M3 but use my Karma for the same thing. The M3 can take a Radias add-on board that gives it a 24-voice 4-part VA onboard with the M3, and with the M3's VST control you can integrate it into a DAW workflow. Add the EXBFW option, and you get six separate channels of digital audio comin in straight from the unit... yummy..
i had it fully expanded, with the expansion board radias and the expansion ram no the EXPBFW. BUT, i took the expansion board radias and the expansion ram to trade in for the keyboard version. i did not like the offer they gave me so i have it here in my house. i might end up selling it. in the internet.

i am no interested in using it with the computer any more. i want to do all my sequencing with hardware. if, i was just using it as a sound module i will no care for the keyboard. but, i wanted it to be my main sequencer, and it doesn`t send midi through. i can only play the internal sound from my prophet 08 to it. that s**t is annoying if, i want to sand midi out to another synth i have to recorded first to hear.

nu-tellar
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:50 am

Re: who uses keyboard workstation

Post by nu-tellar » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:44 pm

If your not getting along with it, then let it go. I felt the same way about my old analog synths and got rid of them.[/quote]

hey, men i can see in your signature that you have a mpc and, a korg m3. how those the m3 seq and sound compared to the mpc 2500?

User avatar
Raiven
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:26 am
Gear: See Signature.....
Band: Eventyde
Location: USA

Re: who uses keyboard workstation

Post by Raiven » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:48 pm

nu-tellar wrote:hey, men i can see in your signature that you have a mpc and, a korg m3. how those the m3 seq and sound compared to the mpc 2500?
The MPC sequencer has the MPC "Groove" to it but the M3 has a higher resolution.

MPC= 96 ppqn
M3= 480 ppqn

Just depends on what kind of detail and timing I'm after or just what I feel like working with at the time.
Korg M3 (Fully Loaded), Blofeld Keyboard, MPC 2500 LE, (Monomachine), Logic Studio 8, Live 6, FM8, Absynth 4, Predator, Alpha3, Korg Legacy Collection, (Shioitor), Drumazon, Nepheton, Stylus RMX

http://www.myspace.com/eventydejams

nu-tellar
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:50 am

Re: who uses keyboard workstation

Post by nu-tellar » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:14 am

Raiven wrote:
nu-tellar wrote:hey, men i can see in your signature that you have a mpc and, a korg m3. how those the m3 seq and sound compared to the mpc 2500?
The MPC sequencer has the MPC "Groove" to it but the M3 has a higher resolution.

MPC= 96 ppqn
M3= 480 ppqn

Just depends on what kind of detail and timing I'm after or just what I feel like working with at the time.
ok, which sequencer is better to use and easier to use. do you use the sequencer on it or do you do your sequencing in the computer?

which one would you recommend me as a center piece sequencer i want to stay away from the computer.
and, i will be doing a lot of live recording too?

i am considering a mpc but, is either a mpc or a m3. that is way i am trying to compared.

the resolution in the mpc is alright for what i will be doing? aside from that is any other thing that set it apart from each other in your opinion?

i will be doing synthy pop, hip pop kind of, and electro, trance, and ambience, and experimental music.

User avatar
Raiven
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:26 am
Gear: See Signature.....
Band: Eventyde
Location: USA

Re: who uses keyboard workstation

Post by Raiven » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:28 am

Error in response. See answer below.
Last edited by Raiven on Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Korg M3 (Fully Loaded), Blofeld Keyboard, MPC 2500 LE, (Monomachine), Logic Studio 8, Live 6, FM8, Absynth 4, Predator, Alpha3, Korg Legacy Collection, (Shioitor), Drumazon, Nepheton, Stylus RMX

http://www.myspace.com/eventydejams

User avatar
Raiven
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:26 am
Gear: See Signature.....
Band: Eventyde
Location: USA

Re: who uses keyboard workstation

Post by Raiven » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:30 am

nu-tellar wrote: ok, which sequencer is better to use and easier to use. do you use the sequencer on it or do you do your sequencing in the computer?

which one would you recommend me as a center piece sequencer i want to stay away from the computer.
and, i will be doing a lot of live recording too?

i am considering a mpc but, is either a mpc or a m3. that is way i am trying to compared.

the resolution in the mpc is alright for what i will be doing? aside from that is any other thing that set it apart from each other in your opinion?

i will be doing synthy pop, hip pop kind of, and electro, trance, and ambience, and experimental music.
I use the M3, MPC, Logic and Live sequencers. Just depends on the project or job and how much time I have. Out of all of them, I find Live to be the best medium.

Both sequencers are very easy to use but If you want to get away from the computer, then IMO, the MPC is a better choice. If you like DAW's editing capabilities but want to use hardware, then the M3 is a better choice since you can use a pointer on the touch screen to edit your sequence like the pencil tools in many DAW's.

As a centerpiece to a computer less studio, the MPC is the clear winner. With 2 midi ins and 4 midi outs and a killer interface for getting ideas down fast, it doesn't take long to realize why they are industry standard studio pieces. Think about it....How about the studio below.

Yamaha CP33
Korg Z1
MPC 2500
Motif ES Rack
Nord Rack 2X
Moog Voyager RME
Waldorf Blofeld

The MPC sequencer is fine for what your into. Aside from what I've mentioned, their both pretty good but the MPC sequencer is slightly tighter so if your a stickler for timing, or want a solid groove, use the MPC. If you want a more "human" feel without it being sloppy, then the M3 is better.

I woundn't use the MPC so much for Ambient music since the drums are not a key component in the presentation.

I make it a point to use the MPC when doing House Music or a Live/MPC combo for Pop Dance type stuff, but don't touch it when I'm doing Contemporary Jazz or instrumental Electronica (M3 and/or Logic).
Korg M3 (Fully Loaded), Blofeld Keyboard, MPC 2500 LE, (Monomachine), Logic Studio 8, Live 6, FM8, Absynth 4, Predator, Alpha3, Korg Legacy Collection, (Shioitor), Drumazon, Nepheton, Stylus RMX

http://www.myspace.com/eventydejams

Post Reply