Synths used by 2 Unlimited

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Synths used by 2 Unlimited

Post by Hugo76 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:48 am

I was wondering if anyone know which synths 2 Unlimited used in their classic & cheesy tracks, like "No Limit", "Get Ready For This", "Workaholic" etc. Don't ask why I need to know ;)

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Synths used by 2 Unlimited

Post by braincandy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:21 am

:mock:
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:34 am

Someone on gearslutz thinks they used a Casio CZ1000. Don't know if this is true or not.

They seemed to use a supersaw-like sound a lot, before the JP-8000 even came out.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:39 am

afaik they just took whatever was available in the studio and sampled it, often including their two vocalists. My guess is, there are layers of things to build chords, and the two producers themselves probably don't remember what all was used.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:51 am

whatever was used, the result was pure awesome

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:23 am

KORG DSS-1... ;)
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:38 pm

braincandy wrote::mock:
What's up with 2U? :aggressive:

I made an exact replica of those brassy leads on a Ensoniq TS 10 around 12 years ago....

this is the gear. mostly analog Roland stuff:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1995_ar ... cosey.html

They're played on nearly every sports broadcast or sports event I've watched or attended since that damned song came out. It's sort of a joke here, really, as in dance music or sports anthem cliche'. It's nothing personal towards the OP.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:55 pm

balma wrote:this is the gear. mostly analog Roland stuff: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1995_ar ... cosey.html
Actually that link is for Chris and Cosey, formerly of Throbbing Gristle. Info on 2 unlimited was found here although there is no specific gear listed.
balma wrote:They're played on nearly every sports broadcast or sports event I've watched or attended since that damned song came out.
I also remember when the single and 12 inch versions first appeared on import techno compilations in Houston in 1990. I couldn't stand it then either.
Last edited by Solderman on Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:57 pm

balma wrote:

I made an exact replica of those brassy leads on a Ensoniq TS 10 around 12 years ago....

They're played on nearly every sports broadcast or sports event I've watched or attended since that damned song came out. It's sort of a joke here, really, as in dance music or sports anthem cliche'. It's nothing personal towards the OP.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:05 pm

balma wrote:They're played on nearly every sports broadcast or sports event I've watched or attended since that damned song came out. It's sort of a joke here, really, as in dance music or sports anthem cliche'. It's nothing personal towards the OP.
braincandy wrote:They're played on nearly every sports broadcast or sports event I've watched or attended since that damned song came out. It's sort of a joke here, really, as in dance music or sports anthem cliche'. It's nothing personal towards the OP.

Uh? Deja vu??? :)

... and about their lame music:

I agree, even in those early years when it was released, it sounded lame to me, .... they had a great success, but... :?
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:13 pm

Yeah, something odd happened the first time I clicked "submit" and my original post never showed up. The next time it had a weird issue with quoting, so the post wasn't submitted correctly until the third try. Weird, huh?

edit: the moderator's log showed that I somehow accidentally edited your post, balma. That might be where the mistake came from. Sorry about that.

Virgule

Post by Virgule » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:14 pm

:)
Last edited by Virgule on Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:44 pm

ja ja and solderman quote me, no prob man....

2Unlimited brassy leads are so contagious. My first attempts of covers, were their songs.

Man, and that lead on Magic friend, does sound too analog. I don't think is a SY99.... I tried all these brass leads on the ENsoniq TS 10, it has a special brassy feeling...

I still having their original records, on cassette. Also Technotronics, Apotheosis, L.A. Style (James Brown is dead) and a lot of electronic music from those years.

Searching those videos on youtube gives me flashbacks....

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:37 am

balma wrote:

You should have seen everyone's reaction when I posted my second thread, which was regarding what synths Cascada uses. :lol:
soundcloud.com/vectron

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:58 pm

balma wrote: ...
I still having their original records, on cassette. Also Technotronics, Apotheosis, L.A. Style (James Brown is dead) and a lot of electronic music from those years.

Searching those videos on youtube gives me flashbacks....
after reading this thread i've been going back and listening to all those early tunes. good stuff :D

of all that "pop techno" stuff, i think technotronic is my favorite. thick, heavy Matrix-12 sounds all over the place.

right now i'm playing Apotheosis - Put me in a Trance and completely grooving. :lol: if you played that at a club now you'd be boo'd off the tables.