Polyphonic Synths with Glide/Portamento

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Polyphonic Synths with Glide/Portamento

Post by Micke » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:52 pm

You're welcome :)

I definitely agree that Beaver & Krause's original version sounds a lot better/richer than the much later one done by Andy Moorer.

Yes, In A Wild Sanctuary was recorded in '69 with the heavily expanded Moog system seen in the picture I posted above i.e. two model IIIP's w/optional 960 sequencer complements plus a Moog 10, some 10 portable box units in all!

Everything they did prior to that was recorded with a 1967 model "Synthesizer III". You can hear the original '67 model on albums such as "Zodiac: Cosmic Sounds by Mort Garson (allegedly the first ever commercial pop/rock album to feature the Moog modular, rec. in April '67), Stones/Emil Richards New Sound Element, Strange Days/The Doors, Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn, & Jones, Ltd./The Monkees, The Notorious Byrd Brothers/The Byrds, The Nonesuch Guide To Electronic Music and Ragnarök: Electronic funk by Beaver & Krause...
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

Post by michael stein » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:55 pm

Ensoniq SQ-80 and ESQ-1 do this

michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

Post by michael stein » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:58 pm

This effect can be done using envelopes for pitch modulation except in this case you get to tune which note it lands on using the sustain parameter.

computron
Band: Computron

Post by computron » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:04 pm

JJQ wrote:The nice 8-voiced Kawai SX-240
has glissando and portamento.

Listen to Jexus incredible youtube demo of it.

I fully agree when taking about Portamento/Glissando .The sx240 and sx 210 have them both.Few older analog poly synths they say had both.The neat thing with the sx's Portamento/Glissando is using it in dual mode.In single mode the patch is tied to the upper and you can turn Portamento/Glissando either on or off with a chicklet button.You can then cange the rate value with the turn of the master knob.You cant have both Portamento/Glissando on its either one or the other in single mode.Now......in dual is why i like the Portamento/Glissando on the sx synths.In dual mode you can set the upper patch and lower patch to different rate values of Portamento or Glissando.Different patchs or same patch slightly detuned.Upper can be fast porta and lower slow gliss for example.Both at once detuned wild.This for me makes Portamento/Glissando a very neat feature on the sx 210 and sx240 and a plus for theses two Sx's.like the two vids in the start of this thead the sx 240 and sx 210's Portamento/Glissando behaves this way.
Living the Electro Life