Winter NAMM 2010

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Winter NAMM 2010

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:09 am

It starts in a week, how come there isn't a thread discussing it yet?

My hot tips:
Stromberg - Still doesn't exist, nerds will complain on the internet

Roland will bring out something that isn't a $500 Jupiter 8. Nerds will complain that they could do it if they really wanted to.

Beat Kangz will spell something incorrectly, and still not have a hardware product to show because they're worried their competitors will steal their ideas, like Roger Linn stole the colour blue from them.

The small companies that are actually making the exciting new stuff won't even bother exhibiting because they have this thing called the internet which they can do publicity on now.

All product demos for all companies will be done by BT, Jordan Rudess and Richard Devine.

BT will endorse a softsynth saying he's thrown all his hardware synths away and only needs software now.

BT will endorse a hardware synth saying he's thrown all his software away because nothing sounds as good as hardware.

Roland shocks the crowd on the final day by announcing $500 Jupiter 8. Nerds complain it doesn't sound the same as the original.

Any other hot tipz?

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Re: Winter NAMM 2010

Post by stephen » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:30 am

Korg nano-M3. Fits in your pocket.
Stephen(2)

felis

Post by felis » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:43 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:It starts in a week, how come there isn't a thread discussing it yet?.....

Maybe because no one expects anything to come from it anymore?

There's almost always something I like from it though.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:05 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:All product demos for all companies will be done by BT, Jordan Rudess and Richard Devine.
:lol: Ha ha, too true, they seem to be there every time with a different company and a different product.

For me, I just hope something new and interesting is released, there's nothing worse than the company just taking along the most recent product of their line-up that we already all know about, I wan't them to announce something new - isn't that what Namm is supposed to be all about?

Oh, and I don't think anyone realistically expects Roland will make anything analog ever again, they seem very sure that digital is the future, and fair enough ;)

F#*k the Stromberg, you'd have to be absolutely loaded to afford it - which means they probably wouldn't sell many anyway, and you'd be waiting a decade for a revised OS 'cause the original one will be buggy as h**l, same old story.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:55 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:It starts in a week, how come there isn't a thread discussing it yet?
Because last year a bunch of midi controllers were released and the nerds, that wouldn't buy anything anyway, are still bitter and sad.

Korg will release the nano series in pink, green, old computer beige and blue.
Stab Frenzy wrote:Richard Devine
...f**k. I finally got around to listening to his stuff after seeing him in a million gear demos. It's like the gearwire of music.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

localilocano
Gear: Live 8, MPC 2000xl , EPS Classic, Emulator X3

Post by localilocano » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:24 am

Roland will release the MV-9000....it will have a synthesis engine similar to the fantom with multitrack capabilities and more ram. It will be heavily influenced by touch screen and contain some generic knobs to run synth parameters....The RZA will endorse it again.

Roland will also release the mc-1010/1000 which is going to have a similar chassis as similar to the mc-808, but this time they raise the stakes up by removing the moroized faders and building more sollid faders to use not only for device control but ableton live control. Velocity sensitive pads and a pretty price point. The touchscreen may come out with this model it may not.

Moog will release a polyphonic little phatty that runs at four voices. The pricepoint is roughly 2,000 dollars but for a four voice little phatty people will still buy it.

Access Virus TI Snow mini.....16 voices.....$800.......it will be used to compete with dave smith's tetra.

Dave Smith and Roger Linn will finally release the lindrumm 2 digital/analog model. The analog model will contain an e12 or other type of 12 bit circuitry. It will also have a curtis low pass filter. 16 voices. 16 step sequencer and a roger linn mpc style sequencer. $2000

Roland SP-727/707.....not too shabby, but its more like a beefed up sp-555. SAme price.

Teenage engineering OP-1....it will be released to the public.

enough with the dreaming we'll see what happens next week.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:30 am

Analogue Haven's booth number is...1337. 8-)

I wonder if they did that on purpose or if it was just godly luck.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:59 am

maybe jered will be there w/ some FR XSorries...

nice take on BT, stabby! :drinks:

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:22 am

Yeah I was gonna guess the XSories. Did Moog release the new Taurus already? Roland will have another SP thingie, I'm sure. Since Yamaha bought Steinberg, maybe there will be some interesting software products from them. There's supposed to be a big a*s DJ USB controller from Allen and Heath. Adam has a new sub.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:32 am

localilocano wrote:Roland will release the MV-9000....it will have a synthesis engine similar to the fantom with multitrack capabilities and more ram. It will be heavily influenced by touch screen and contain some generic knobs to run synth parameters....The RZA will endorse it again.

Roland will also release the mc-1010/1000 which is going to have a similar chassis as similar to the mc-808, but this time they raise the stakes up by removing the moroized faders and building more sollid faders to use not only for device control but ableton live control. Velocity sensitive pads and a pretty price point. The touchscreen may come out with this model it may not.
Ironically enough, both of these seem likely, after a fashion

Also, I tend to expect a new Electribe cause lots of places seem tobe blowing out the EMX-1/ESX-1

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:08 pm

My hopes:
Yamaha RS7000 mk2
New Roland MC groovebox
Updated SP-606
New Korg Electribe
New Aki/Korg synth for the Nintendo DS series (similar to the Korg DS-10)

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:05 pm

Does they allow Beat Kangz on NAMM? thought that company was a pimp joke.

I don't expect another electribe. They still being quite popular and every day somebody buys one, everyday somebody sells one.

Where the fck is my Stromberg stand?
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:33 pm

I'm expecting absolutely nothing except software, midi controllers, and some repackaged workstations/arrangers from the Mediocre 3.

Maybe I'll be surprised. This year there is almost no hype or rumors.
Last edited by StepLogik on Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:35 pm

localilocano wrote: Moog will release a polyphonic little phatty that runs at four voices. The pricepoint is roughly 2,000 dollars but for a four voice little phatty people will still buy it.
i'm thinking twice that for anything polyphonic by Moog... :?

I could be wrong though :D

michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

Post by michael stein » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:00 pm

I wouldn't mind messin around with one of those Teenage Engineering things. OP-1?