Winter NAMM 2010

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Re: Winter NAMM 2010

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:03 am

Joey wrote:how about just using one of the analogue synths you have if you want analog sounds?

these features are clearly not for analogue emulation.
Well okay then.

Thanks - I will.

Still an interesting synth though, loved to try one out someday.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:07 am

Phollop Willing PA wrote:
Joey wrote:how about just using one of the analogue synths you have if you want analog sounds?

these features are clearly not for analogue emulation.
Well okay then.

Thanks - I will.

Still an interesting synth though, loved to try one out someday.

haha sorry if that came off as rude, it just seemed like a useless comment, when the features being implemented are all stuff that aren't applicable to the analog domain. then again you didn't know what to expect
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:28 am

Joey wrote:hey to each their own. I was listening more for the potential of what the new features could do rather than the sounds they were playing themselves
That's what was going through my mind while listening.
Phollop Willing PA wrote:Of course it is - I was hoping that it would sound more like an analogue synth.
You're out of your mind man. :o :shock: :? 8-)
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:44 am

Uh oh. Announcement coming for NAMM about what the h**l they are doing together.

http://www.ableton-serato.com/

And something about a basketball game.

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:02 am

redchapterjubilee wrote:Just saw this come over.

http://www.mellotron.com/digital-mellotron.html

Looks interesting. Will cost a lot though, when I think a dedicated rompler like that should be less than a $1000. There's probably tons of empty space inside there. It would be cool if they made a desktop Mellotron with the upper and lower LCD's and such on it with basic outputs for $500. I'd buy that.

good god that looks amazing. wish it was affordable!

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:11 am

Ableton and serato sounds like a pretty sweet combination to me, about time they did something like this.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by RobotHeroes » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:36 am

I hope it turns out to be something great whatever it is. People have been using Ms. Pinky with Live for a while but what can they do with Serato? Auto warp marker tracks to use with your live sets? Use Serato as some sort of vinyl/cd interface for Max for live? What fancy thing can they come up with for using control tones. 5 days and counting till they spill their secret. :P

SubliminalEffect

Post by SubliminalEffect » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:38 am

RobotHeroes wrote:Come on Clavia bust out a self contained Nord G3 that you can hook up a monitor and mouse to like the Roland MV-8800. Do eeeeet! Or touch screen like the V-synth.
i've written it here before but i very much doubt that there will ever be a Nord Mod G3. the G2 just didn't sell well at all (at least in the U.S.). that's usually not a good indicator for a third kick at the can - much as i'd like to see it.

adding touch screens and additional interfaces will only jack up the cost and price to the further detriment of sales...

better to move on rather than keep hoping and wishing.

just my two cents.

SubliminalEffect

Post by SubliminalEffect » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:03 am

3rdConstruction wrote:i'm also keen on seeing more about john bowen's solaris.
John Bowen Synth Design will be demonstrating the Solaris on the main show floor this year at booth B5912 near Moog Music and Dave Smith Instruments - the companies of two synthesizer pioneers that John Bowen has been associated with in his long career. Solaris is coming!

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:30 am

Waldorf is shipping Largo v 1.5. Looks like they added a real preset browser.... Still $250 tho.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:24 pm

Ashe37 wrote:Waldorf is shipping Largo v 1.5. Looks like they added a real preset browser.... Still $250 tho.
It bugs me that there are no new upgrades, either sounds or new functionality, for the Blofeld. When they release sounds for the Largo, I think they should also make them available for Blofeld users.

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:05 pm

i was looking at my mails this morning and got a message from tonori-on usa: http://www.tenori-on-tour.com/mailer/1-8-10.html .

the new cut down tenori-on orange will be available to the us AND the new OS update will be available on January 14. i'm really excited to see what it will do.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by RobotHeroes » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:43 pm

novielo wrote:the new cut down tenori-on orange will be available to the us AND the new OS update will be available on January 14. i'm really excited to see what it will do.
This is the only reason I would want to get one.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by RobotHeroes » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:52 pm

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:20 am

Ohhh, I found something to get excited about!

Doepfer is going to release a PCB for a DIY synth.

http://www.doepfer.de/pdf/NAMM_News_2010.pdf
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again