Winter NAMM 2010

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Re: Winter NAMM 2010

Post by RobotHeroes » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:13 am

otto wrote:Ohhh, I found something to get excited about!

Doepfer is going to release a PCB for a DIY synth.

http://www.doepfer.de/pdf/NAMM_News_2010.pdf

I mentioned it on page 2 but all they had was that pic and nothing else at the time. Nice to see they put up actual info on it now.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

localilocano
Gear: Live 8, MPC 2000xl , EPS Classic, Emulator X3

Post by localilocano » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:54 am

that m brane looks mighty fine....is it a 300 dollar price point?

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:10 am

localilocano wrote:that m brane looks mighty fine....is it a 300 dollar price point?
I would think so, like the mbase's, but I didn't see any solid numbers anywhere.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:08 pm

My Mbase arrived today, now I see the Mbrane. Looks awesome! Seems to have a pretty big range, I wonder how usable the sounds between the ones on the demos are?

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:27 pm

RobotHeroes wrote:
otto wrote:Ohhh, I found something to get excited about!

Doepfer is going to release a PCB for a DIY synth.

http://www.doepfer.de/pdf/NAMM_News_2010.pdf

I mentioned it on page 2 but all they had was that pic and nothing else at the time. Nice to see they put up actual info on it now.
Exactly. It didn't really mean much at that point, could have been anything.

This looks like it will be a more full featured, DIY Dark Energy. I am definitely going to get this but I might put it off until they release the additional PCB with ring mod, sample and hold etc. I’d hate to build this into a custom case and then have to build a separate case for the additional stuff. I think I’d spring for some pricey panels to make it look nice… Of course I could build this to go into a modular case and it would be easier to expand later, choices, choices.

Memo to no one:
Who said going modular was expensive? This board provides a complete, basic synth you just need to wire add controls, jacks, enclosure, power supply. You could format the panel or panels to fit in the modular system of your choice or build it as a stand-alone semi-modular. While you’re at it, get 2 and double everything! 100 euros is cheap. Your enclosure and panels can be as cheap or expensive as you’d like.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:11 pm

EHX just announced the deluxe memory boy. tap tempo analog. awesome.

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:48 pm

Hey all,

I'll be with John Bowen Synth Design in Hall B - the booth number is 5912, not far from Moog Music and Dave Smith Instruments.

Because of a technical writing class, I won't get to Anaheim until late Friday night. :(

...If any of you are at NAMM, come by and say HI! :D
Best Regards, James
--
My New album "Persephone":

Carbon111 Website: http://www.carbon111.com

Carbon111 Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:54 am

otto wrote:Memo to no one:
Who said going modular was expensive? This board provides a complete, basic synth you just need to wire add controls, jacks, enclosure, power supply. You could format the panel or panels to fit in the modular system of your choice or build it as a stand-alone semi-modular. While you’re at it, get 2 and double everything! 100 euros is cheap. Your enclosure and panels can be as cheap or expensive as you’d like.
The controls, jacks, enclosure and power supply are the only expensive things in any synth. I've done heaps of DIY electronics and usually the cost is 1/3 board and components, 2/3 controls, enclosure etc.

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:46 am

RobotHeroes wrote:Whats up with all the beat kangz nerd jokes?
It's a running joke from their EPIC FAIL video advertisement from last year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrpFfvSUzuE
The remix version is almost just as week ... still my grandmother could program a better beat :lol:
The must of finally realized how week the first one was because it wasn't on their uTube :lol: :lol: :lol:
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:56 am

Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

kylejun06

Post by kylejun06 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:13 pm

I'm actually excited about the Beat Thang. Besides the horrible name, and egotistical marketing strategy that would put Kanye to shame, it looks pretty cool and would seem pretty beneficial for anyone into producing hip-hop songs.

Not excited about the presets however. I'm just itching to play with one haha.
Equipment: FL Studio 7, Reason, microKORG, Alesis Multimix 8 USB, Electribe EMX-1 (looking to sell/trade), Edirol PCR-M80, LSDJ, and my precious MXL 990s :]

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:05 pm

loungedumore wrote:

The remix version is almost just as week ... still my grandmother could program a better beat :lol:
The must of finally realized how week the first one was because it wasn't on their uTube :lol: :lol: :lol:
So a lousy demo makes a weak piece of gear? Should I post my opinions about people that can't find the contextual difference between week and weak or the and they?
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm

tallowwaters wrote:
loungedumore wrote:

So a lousy demo makes a weak piece of gear? Should I post my opinions about people that can't find the contextual difference between week and weak or the and they?
Or for that matter, people that can't spell "YouTube".

Its a commercial not a demo.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:49 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
otto wrote:Memo to no one:
The controls, jacks, enclosure and power supply are the only expensive things in any synth. I've done heaps of DIY electronics and usually the cost is 1/3 board and components, 2/3 controls, enclosure etc.
No doubt. However, when you have control of the enclosure, knobs, etc. you can make it as cheap or expensive as you want. Make your own panel and it can be the cost of sheet metal and whatever material you use for markings, from printed paper to etching to lazertran, etc.. Knobs can be had cheap if you look around. I picked up a ton of little “moog” or boss style knobs (like the ones used on the Dark Energy) for about .20 each on ebay. Yoo can get on group buys for pots and jacks, etc.

The real point is that even if you pay full current rates for knobs, pots, jacks and get a $150 (WAG) panel from front panel express, etc. your still talking peanuts for a full, basic modular. You would have to be trying to spend $500 on this project and if you went ultra cheap and were resourceful I’ll bet you could easily do it for $300ish (assuming their price estimate is correct which places it around $150USD). Price modulars, even Doepfer themselves. That’s cheap even if you go the expensive route.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

polardark

Post by polardark » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:45 pm

That new Memory Boy stomp box looks like just the thing I've been looking for to accompany my Moog LP. Guess i'll have to make a list of cool things to buy before i order :(

The V256 vocoder looks damn cool too.