I just pre-ordered Korg DS-10 PLUS

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

I just pre-ordered Korg DS-10 PLUS

Post by Cumulus » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:55 am

It will be released here in a coupla weeks.

I had the DS-10 but my wife lost it on the plane back from NYC (along with my son's DS and several other games.)

We're getting him a new DS (a DSi this time) and some games.

The thing that bothers me most is that I lost all of my petterns and songs. There was some truly Earth-shattering stuff on that little cartridge - a top - 40 hit or two for sure and some completely genius ideas! Well, maybe not but I did put a lot of work into some of them and I had not recorded them yet. I guess I will just have to recreate it all...

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: I just pre-ordered Korg DS-10 PLUS

Post by tekkentool » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:09 am

Cumulus wrote:It will be released here in a coupla weeks.

I had the DS-10 but my wife lost it on the plane back from NYC (along with my son's DS and several other games.)

We're getting him a new DS (a DSi this time) and some games.

The thing that bothers me most is that I lost all of my petterns and songs. There was some truly Earth-shattering stuff on that little cartridge - a top - 40 hit or two for sure and some completely genius ideas! Well, maybe not but I did put a lot of work into some of them and I had not recorded them yet. I guess I will just have to recreate it all...
Don't recreate, build better! Where's the spirit man!

make sure you post them somewhere, i love the ds-10!

SubliminalEffect

Post by SubliminalEffect » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:16 am

where did you order the DS-10 Plus from? how much was it? what's new in it?

the DS-10 was hard to find. game retailers never carried it and i never saw it at Guitar Center. i had to mail-order it - from J&R in NYC.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)

Post by tekkentool » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:08 pm

SubliminalEffect wrote:where did you order the DS-10 Plus from? how much was it? what's new in it?

the DS-10 was hard to find. game retailers never carried it and i never saw it at Guitar Center. i had to mail-order it - from J&R in NYC.
I was going to reccomend buying it off play asia, but the DSi is region locked. the original DS isn't though....

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:47 pm

tekkentool wrote:Don't recreate, build better! Where's the spirit man!
Jolly good, best of British, what what?
stiff-upper-lip.jpg

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:50 pm

I too am getting the DS-10 plus. I used to have the original, but sold it and the DS lite in order to upgrade. The DS-10 is a GREAT little synth, and with the new processing power it should be even more fun. Now one can play with 4 synths instead of the original two, and eight drum machines instead of four.
Absolutely awesome and highly recommended! The new DSi is supposed to have better sound quality as well.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by tekkentool » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:17 am

Hugo76 wrote:I too am getting the DS-10 plus. I used to have the original, but sold it and the DS lite in order to upgrade. The DS-10 is a GREAT little synth, and with the new processing power it should be even more fun. Now one can play with 4 synths instead of the original two, and eight drum machines instead of four.
Absolutely awesome and highly recommended! The new DSi is supposed to have better sound quality as well.
Better DAC's

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:57 pm

tekkentool wrote:Better DAC's
Which, going by VSE forum logic, means it won't sound as good. ;)

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:24 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:
tekkentool wrote:Better DAC's
Which, going by VSE forum logic, means it won't sound as good. ;)
Hehe ;)
Btw: did you notice the price drop? The original DS 10 is $130, and the new one is $28 (!)
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=s ... korg+ds+10

Awesome :D

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:36 pm

Hugo76 wrote:Btw: did you notice the price drop? The original DS 10 is $130, and the new one is $28 (!)
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=s ... korg+ds+10

Awesome :D
that's just one ridiculous price, think it was $60 when it first came out, before the US release. if you look below that there are new copies available for $40.

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:54 pm

on related news electroplankton is 122 dollars!! should have bought it when it was on clearance...

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:24 pm

clubbedtodeath wrote:
tekkentool wrote:Don't recreate, build better! Where's the spirit man!
Jolly good, best of British, what what?
stiff-upper-lip.jpg
Three cheers for the bouncing bomb!
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

polardark

Post by polardark » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:12 pm

I just wish that DS10 had some sort of MIDI functionality that let it synchronize tempo or trigger patterns from other gear.

What I hated about using DS10 on the original DS was the tiny screen and the audio quality. Maybe I'm just getting old. I hope that the big-screened DSi LL/XL will make all that better. I ordered a Japanese DSi LL from a friend who was travelling in Asia. He should be back home again today so I'll pick it up tomorrow.

I need a new flash cartridge that works with the DSi too. That's the only way that I'll be able to use those region-locked Japanese titles over here in Sweden... and it makes backing up your projects to computer possible. Losing your projects and not having a backup is devastating! I'm not necessarily pro-piracy but if a flash cart is the only way that I can get some functionality that I need then I will use that. :(

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:41 pm

I was actually lucky enough to find the original DS-10 at a Gamestop. it was just sitting on the shelf and my wife bought it for me for $30 last year for my birthday.

I order the new one from GameStop's website amd it was $30 as well.

Amazon will let you pre-order also but it came out cheaper with shipping at Game Stop.

I actually remembered that a couple of tracks on one of my unfinished songs were done with the DS-10 and my outgoing cell phone message as well so I do have some of the stuff saved for posterity.

As far as what's new, there are more tracks available in the sequencer. i think the Plus version has 4 synth tracks and either 6 or 8 drum tracks, which is about twice as mush as the original.

Also, you can mute tracks in sequences, which I guess you couldn't do before.

i think there are a couple more features but I don;t remember right now.

I just hope whoever picked it up on the flight back from NYC enjoys it. Who knows? Maybe it will turn some kid into a synth-head when he gets older.

I also wish there were some way to sync with with MIDI, even though I often find myself sync'ing tracks up the old-fashioned way - pushing "record" and starting a track at just the right time.

nethaneld
Gear: Korg Radias
Ibanez Bass

Looking for: Kurzweil
Band: The Lish

Post by nethaneld » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:30 am

Is the DS-10 a legitimate product? I have seen and heard and it really amazed me, but I was really seeing non musicians messing around with it. Actually...not non musicians, but rather gamers who didn't really know or even like music, but were intrigued by the idea. Is it good? My ten year old cousin is getting really good with classical piano, but his interest is fading in music so I kinda want him to get into new avenues, see where his knowledge can take him.