I just pre-ordered Korg DS-10 PLUS

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Re: I just pre-ordered Korg DS-10 PLUS

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:18 am

Cumulus: "You have an awesome girlfriend!"

I sure do! She may not understand my nerdy synth obession but she tolerates and supports it as long as I stick with cheap stuff lol.
:mrgreen:
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:42 am

My wife is OK with it as well. She can appreciate a good bargain so when I do bring something home it's OK as long as I got a really good price on it.

localilocano
Gear: Live 8, MPC 2000xl , EPS Classic, Emulator X3

Post by localilocano » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:48 am

I just got mine today....Pretty fun to just build ideas so quickly. Great sounding digital synth for portable prposes....I will try to record what i do on my emu 1616m and see how the quality fares up.

So far I am having fun building basic patterns on the first gen DS. Its my cousins DS and i am borrowing it until i get bored of this game.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cumulus » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:29 pm

localilocano wrote:I just got mine today....Pretty fun to just build ideas so quickly. Great sounding digital synth for portable prposes....I will try to record what i do on my emu 1616m and see how the quality fares up.

So far I am having fun building basic patterns on the first gen DS. Its my cousins DS and i am borrowing it until i get bored of this game.
That may take a while.

I had the original DS-10 for about a year and I still was not bored with it. I had to get the new version when I left mine on a plane. Some cleaning crew person got a nice Christmas present for their kid - a DS and several games, including the DS-10.

localilocano
Gear: Live 8, MPC 2000xl , EPS Classic, Emulator X3

Post by localilocano » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:31 am

Cumulus wrote:
localilocano wrote:I just got mine today....Pretty fun to just build ideas so quickly. Great sounding digital synth for portable prposes....I will try to record what i do on my emu 1616m and see how the quality fares up.

That may take a while.

I had the original DS-10 for about a year and I still was not bored with it. I had to get the new version when I left mine on a plane. Some cleaning crew person got a nice Christmas present for their kid - a DS and several games, including the DS-10.
yea, its gonna take some time before i get bored.... I just figured out how to design some nasty snares then throw on a 58% swing, add a longer decay on the drums and it sounds like some good old school boom bap. By the time i get home after playing with this software, I just get on ableton, the mpc, or the EPS classic and build ideas right away.

It feels like this game is the brain age for us music heads.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:40 am

i finnaly got to try it out through an amp along side my micromoog, and i expected it to sound decent but i have to say WOW :shock: i think i actually may use this beyond a toy/song writing tool and actually use it in live/recording set up some serious potential to be had with this little guy. blows the mini kaossilator out of the water i think.
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:44 am

ColorForm2113 wrote:i finnaly got to try it out through an amp along side my micromoog, and i expected it to sound decent but i have to say WOW :shock: i think i actually may use this beyond a toy/song writing tool and actually use it in live/recording set up some serious potential to be had with this little guy. blows the mini kaossilator out of the water i think.
You need to get protein as well then :D

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cumulus » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:24 pm

I have used it live a few of times. The first time was just some incidental music while the rest of the guys in the band were running late setting up their gear. They liked it enough to ask me to play two more songs with it before we started the "real" show.

The other times I played the keyboard or drum sounds individually during our regular performance. I almost always have it in my bag when I go play somewhere.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:54 pm

tekkentool wrote:
ColorForm2113 wrote:i finnaly got to try it out through an amp along side my micromoog, and i expected it to sound decent but i have to say WOW :shock: i think i actually may use this beyond a toy/song writing tool and actually use it in live/recording set up some serious potential to be had with this little guy. blows the mini kaossilator out of the water i think.
thats pretty sweet too! ow do you get the audio uploaded to the ds? and can it be regular ds lite or does need to be dsi?

any one know if there is any way to get midi in or out of the ds?

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)

Post by tekkentool » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:36 am

ColorForm2113 wrote:
tekkentool wrote:
thats pretty sweet too! ow do you get the audio uploaded to the ds? and can it be regular ds lite or does need to be dsi?

any one know if there is any way to get midi in or out of the ds?
Ds lite is fine, you need a flash cart. personal favourite is the TTDS. best value for money and it works with everything.

http://www.ausxmods.com.au/modchips/ttds

Just load it in there and put samples in the root,

http://dsmi.tobw.net/

this one sends midi over in a kaoss pad style.

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:59 am

Need to get hold the DS-10 plus myself. DS-10 was fantastic.

There's some other good homebrew music apps for the DS as well. As posted above you need a flash card to run this stuff. I've got an Acekard 2i, which was the first flash card that could work on the DSi. Check out these apps as well;

GlitchDS

RepeaterDS

Cells DS

Tone Synth DS

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by tekkentool » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:41 am

Dogboy73 wrote:Need to get hold the DS-10 plus myself. DS-10 was fantastic.

There's some other good homebrew music apps for the DS as well. As posted above you need a flash card to run this stuff. I've got an Acekard 2i, which was the first flash card that could work on the DSi. Check out these apps as well;

GlitchDS

RepeaterDS

Cells DS

Tone Synth DS
All awesome reccomendations, and this is all without reccomending my personal favourite.

NITROTRACKER

BAd quality recording, but you get the idea. essentially FTII for DS

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cumulus » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:41 pm

Dogboy73 wrote:Need to get hold the DS-10 plus myself. DS-10 was fantastic.

GlitchDS

RepeaterDS

Cells DS

Tone Synth DS
Be careful, I beliee the DSI is region coded and may not play home-brewed stuff....

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:40 am

Cumulus wrote:Be careful, I believe the DSI is region coded and may not play home-brewed stuff....
The flash cards get around this ;) Nintendo hate this stuff, which is the biggest problem. In the last DSi firmware update Nintendo sneaked in a bit of code that blocked flash cards. The Acekard team then released there own firmware update that fooled the DSi into thinking the flashkard was a Nintendo game cartridge & not a flah card. Now the Acekard 2i shows up as 'Danny Phantom, Urban Jungle' :D It's an arms race. I think it's a shame Nintendo don't recognise the homebrew market more. There's some cool stuff out there.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cumulus » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:11 pm

That's great. What Nintendo shoudl do is embrace the homebrew market and sell software, editors, blank flash cards etc. Instead they have let the market grow without them. It's probably too late for Nintendo to cash in on it now.

The thing is, nobody is going to bother programming their own stuff if it is available as a cartridge so people are only going to make what nintendo doesn't offer anyway. The kids will still buy the latest Pokemon game no matter what.