I just pre-ordered Korg DS-10 PLUS

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: I just pre-ordered Korg DS-10 PLUS

Post by tekkentool » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:55 am

nethaneld wrote:Is the DS-10 a legitimate product? I have seen and heard and it really amazed me, but I was really seeing non musicians messing around with it. Actually...not non musicians, but rather gamers who didn't really know or even like music, but were intrigued by the idea. Is it good? My ten year old cousin is getting really good with classical piano, but his interest is fading in music so I kinda want him to get into new avenues, see where his knowledge can take him.
it's a proper synthesizer in every sense of it.
They are proper 2 oscilator monosynth's with an ADSR Envelope, and semi modular style LFO routing.

And the drum tracks are also programmable.

polardark

Post by polardark » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:13 am

nethaneld wrote:Is it good?
It's a proper synthesizer and the sound quality is as good as the sound quality of the Nintendo DS console. Apparently the newer Nintendo DSi model is supposed to have better sound quality. It might be a fun thing to use and a good fun way to learn about sequencing.

I thought this video on youtube was pretty interesting:

nethaneld wrote:My ten year old cousin is getting really good with classical piano, but his interest is fading in music so I kinda want him to get into new avenues, see where his knowledge can take him.
Or you could just tell him that it impresses girls if you're in a band :)

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:21 pm

tekkentool wrote:And the drum tracks are also programmable.
The drum parts are in fact more or less the same as the main synths, with some less parameters. In case you need some extra bass or whatever, the drum synths might just as well be used for this. They can't be played across the keyboard, however, the pitch is fixed (unless my memory is faulty).

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:11 pm

To me, the biggest shortcoming of the DS-10 is the lack of a proper keyboard. I wish there were some way to control it with an external keyboard.

The little one that shows up on the screen is controlled by the stylus and it can be a bit dodgy. It is easy to hit a wrong note.

I do like the Kaos Pad like control, though. It allows you to control notes, gating, volume, filtering and some other stuff with and X-Y axis control pad. You can select different keys and scales on it as well. That is very useful and it mitigates the lack of a true keyboard.

As far as being a legitimate synth. It is very versatile and musical in the right hands. I have even played it at live gigs..

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:52 pm

Cumulus wrote: I have even played it at live gigs..
Awesome.

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:27 am

I've got the ds-10+ on order as well. Very excited but kinda bummed that most of the new features aren't available on the Ds lite. Eh, somewhere down the line maybe ill get a DSi and it will be like a whole new program

Side note, I saw the orginal ds-10 at a gamestop by my house for $19.99!
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

mute

Post by mute » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:10 am

Hugo76 wrote:
tekkentool wrote:And the drum tracks are also programmable.
The drum parts are in fact more or less the same as the main synths, with some less parameters. In case you need some extra bass or whatever, the drum synths might just as well be used for this. They can't be played across the keyboard, however, the pitch is fixed (unless my memory is faulty).
they're not fixed pitches, theres just no kb or kaoss-style arp for them. you can sequence them w. notes on the sequencer just like you can with the realtime synths, so essentially with the DSi version, ds-10+ you have 4 realtime editable, fully automatable synths + 8 non-automatable synths (though you can still modulate via lfos/envelopes).

the major changes in the DS-10+ is double everything + you can now record automation, mix, and perform while in song mode as opposed to just pattern/performance mode. song mode on the older version just let you chain patterns but that was it, if you left the screen to go do something you'd return to pattern-only playback. everything else is the same, you could always mute/solo parts etc. on the original ds-10 its just now you can do it from song mode as well.

the original DS-10 was not distributed to stores, it was online purchase only. offical retailer was Amazon.jp. the ds-10+ will be in stores and has official distribution to Game Stop. I've already called them and they have them in stock/on order. I think he told me they were supposed to have it this past monday.. i havent picked it up yet because of work/car troubles. i've got a few copies of the first version ;P

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cumulus » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:31 am

I got the original DS-10 at GameStop store in Florida so it must have been distributed there.

I had looked for it a few times with no luck and then my wife found it on the rack and brought it over to me.

"Is this the synth-thingy you were looking for?", she said.

That reminds me of an old TV commercial..."My wife. I think I'll keep her..." I think the ad was for Geritol but I can't remember. Maybe that means I need it now...

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:04 pm

mute wrote:they're not fixed pitches, theres just no kb or kaoss-style arp for them. you can sequence them w. notes on the sequencer just like you can with the realtime synths, so essentially with the DSi version, ds-10+ you have 4 realtime editable, fully automatable synths + 8 non-automatable synths (though you can still modulate via lfos/envelopes).
Ahh, thanks for clarifying. That sounds awesome :D

mute

Post by mute » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:21 pm

Cumulus wrote:I got the original DS-10 at GameStop store in Florida so it must have been distributed there.
It wasn't, but that doesnt mean some motivated store owner or employee didn't order a few copies or have a good pre-existing relationship with XSEED and their catalogue - Alot of Game Stop stores carry plenty of Play Asia-type stock because they know how popular niche products can be. This time around it has true distribution to all locations and other stores (proactive instead of relying on store and special orders).

Anyways, none of that matters.. just got off the phone with GS and I'm going to pick up my DS-10+ tonight :D

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cumulus » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:41 pm

GameStop did eventually agree to distribute the DS-10:

http://nintendo.joystiq.com/2009/01/27/ ... org-ds-10/

http://gaygamer.net/2009/01/gamestop_sa ... _ds10.html

The second link is from a site called Gay Gamer. Who knew there was such a thing?

I looked for it for quite a while before it showed up at GameStop. I even checked in Germany because I happened to be there the week it was released in Europe.

mute

Post by mute » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:59 pm

Nice, I guess it got popular enough.. never saw that =D

You gotta love the validation of synths on a DS getting enough attention that it picks up distro !

lol @ gaygamer

digital octopus

Post by digital octopus » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:18 am

The original DS-10 was definitely sold at Gamestop; I work part time at one. We would only get one at a time, and once it was sold, we would get another one in shipment. I'm pretty sure we still have one on our shelf.

mute

Post by mute » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:05 pm

I've been to 5 game stops (2 are literally right across the street from each other, which has always baffled me) in the past month, only one of them had a DS-10 and it was used. Yesterday when i went to buy the DS-10+ they had no clue what i was talking about and thought I was referring to the large screen DS. I grabbed the used DS-10 off the shelf and said, "no no... the new version of this". they looked it up in the computer for me and the guy on the left goes "synnnthe s i zer?" and i said, "yeah thats the one". Apparently wasnt supposed to come in till today (aka tomorrow by yesterday's standards).

They were unaware of the DS-10+ because apparently they only pay attention to new 'games' that have pre-ordering and the DS-10+ isn't available for pre-order @ GS. I got the same comment from two other stores.

When I left I sat in my car for a bit as I made some phone calls and happend to be parked just in front of the store. After I had walked out, two of the three employees made a dash for the shelf where I put the DS-10 - both rushing to grab what I just laid down first. I watched them for a minute or so as they poured over the packaging and it's contents. I thought that was pretty funny.

As a side note: When they scanned the bar-code of the DS-10, nothing came up (did this to try and find the DS-10+ by name faster). I asked him if the DS-10 was also on the company's supplier list, he said no because it didn't come up but then also searched for it manually - only used inventory came up, no supplier.

BTW/IMO... GS employees are like the Radioshack "guys" in the gaming industry. By that I don't mean the cool electronics-rat that works there just for fun/access that was alive until the early 90s.. but rather the annoying *****s that breathe down your neck the whole time you're in the store and apparently know everything there is about everything. Although..1 store I've gone to does have cool employees and I stayed there and talked/joked with them for awhile.... one of the guys had just gotten into making electronic music and had a copies of Reason and Buzz modular and asked me a million questions about software, always got time for that ;)

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cumulus » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:04 pm

I couldn't pre-order the DS-10 plau at teh store either but I was able to on the website.

Radio Shack cracks me up. i went in there erecently to get some screws for rack-mount equipment. The guy had no idea what rack mount meant. He showed me some generic screws in a few sizes that they had in the drawers at the ack of the store.