I just pre-ordered Korg DS-10 PLUS

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Re: I just pre-ordered Korg DS-10 PLUS

Post by Cumulus » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:08 pm

On a side note...last year when I was looking for the original DS-10 I went into a Best Buy hoping they would have it. After a few awkward minutes of explaining what I was looking for the girl tried to look it up on her computer. No DS-10 but they did have the Korg Electribe. Apparently you could order those through Best Buy.

She said she had just gotten into music production and was "makin' beatz'. When I told her how much I loved my electribe she said she was going to order one for herself. So I wasn't able to get what I wanted but I managed to sell a different piece of gear to some one else.

I wish I could colelct a commission check from them...

mute

Post by mute » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:23 pm

lol.. I saw that recently on the Best Buy website while doing christmas shopping, you can also buy a MicroKorg and a MK XL from them ;)

I also thought it was a bit insane when I noticed starting this winter you can by KRK monitors from them, IN STORE. Craziness.

colmon

Post by colmon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:44 pm

i've played live with the ds-10. as has chris carter of throbbing gristle.

here's some of the music i've made with the ds-10: http://www.myspace.com/tranquiliz

the only problem i find is it makes me seriously lust after an actual ms-10

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:21 am

colmon wrote:i've played live with the ds-10. as has chris carter of throbbing gristle.

here's some of the music i've made with the ds-10: http://www.myspace.com/tranquiliz

the only problem i find is it makes me seriously lust after an actual ms-10
To be honest with you i find they hardly sound similar IMO. doesn't phase me though.

You do some cool stuff with the ds-10 BTW

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cumulus » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:12 pm

I have been getting my Nintendo music fix by re-visiting Nanoloop.That is a nifty little proram but it lacks the real-time performance ability that the DS-10 has.

Sure, the little stylus-operated keyboard on the DS-10 is kind of a pain but the Kaos Pad type of control is a blast!

I would like to see the ability to switch keys and/or scales on the fly (sort of like how Jam Sessions lets you change chords with the directional buttons).

That would add a lot to the DS-10's live performance capability, as would the ability to connect a MIDI controller to the thing. Maybe there is a DS-10 Double-Plus-Good in the works or something......

mute

Post by mute » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:45 am

Cumulus wrote: I would like to see the ability to switch keys and/or scales on the fly (sort of like how Jam Sessions lets you change chords with the directional buttons).
maybe im misunderstanding you, but you can already change your scale and root note on the kaoss pad view (on the fly during playback/performance). you can also setup your different parameter routings there for automation recording.

in this view, it's the 1,2,3 view buttons along with SET/etc. (the different views have different settings):

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cumulus » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:03 pm

That's right. I forgot that you can change the settings on the different views.

Doh!

I guess I could set it up so that each view has a different scale and/or key.

Thanks for reminding me....

shendo
Gear: Ableton Live/ Nord Lead1/ Electro/AJ1/ Moog LP /Moogerfoogers/Stomp Boxes/Vermona DRM1 III/motif rack
Band: NONE

Post by shendo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:02 am

That looks pretty awesome,
Just a quick question since I didn't find much info via google,
With DS-10, is there a way to export your patterns to mp3 or wav or something,
Or is it only via the 1/8 headphone output?
Thanks,
Chris
Novation X station, Motif Rack, NordLead/Electro, Juno-1, Evolver , Moogerfoogers

polardark

Post by polardark » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:10 am

The only output is the 3.5mm output...

Barfunkel

Post by Barfunkel » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:51 am

It would be great if you could somehow save the tracks in DSi's internal memory and transfer them to your computer. One of the biggest problems with the original was the quality of the headphone output, tons of noise and using it live can be problematic since even the slightest movement can unplug the plug and possibly damage the PA with static noise.

Here's a bit of something I did about a year ago. Haven't played with my DS for ages though.

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810/ds-tekno

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:41 pm

Barfunkel wrote:It would be great if you could somehow save the tracks in DSi's internal memory and transfer them to your computer. One of the biggest problems with the original was the quality of the headphone output, tons of noise and using it live can be problematic since even the slightest movement can unplug the plug and possibly damage the PA with static noise.
The converters in the DSi are supposed to be significantly better.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cumulus » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:41 pm

I will let you all know when mine comes in. My son just got a DSi last night.

Also, the DSi itself has a nifty little sound recording program. You can record a snippet of sound and play it backwards and forwards and at different pitches. There are also some effects and filters, which are al ot of fun.

My next DS-10 project is gonig to have some of that stuff on it, too.

polardark

Post by polardark » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:04 pm

Hugo76 wrote:The converters in the DSi are supposed to be significantly better.
I'm not sure if it's a fair comparison but playing MP4 music from an SD card on my DSi LL is significantly better audio quality than playing MP3 on my DS Lite using Moonshell. The sound in moonshell and other software on the DS Lite has this crackling noise like it was 8 bit audio or something. I may be imagining it but Elektroplankton sounds much better on my DSi LL as well.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:54 am

DS has 12 BIT DAC's AT 32KHZ sample rate, and DSI is 16 at 44.1 IIRC

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:25 pm

tekkentool wrote:DS has 12 BIT DAC's AT 32KHZ sample rate, and DSI is 16 at 44.1 IIRC
Really? What about the new DS XL, same as the DSi?