I just pre-ordered Korg DS-10 PLUS

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Re: I just pre-ordered Korg DS-10 PLUS

Post by Scories » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:04 pm

I have the original DS-10 and it's a nice little device, but not very useful consideriong that you can only made 16 steps loops out of it. If you can create 32 steps, or 64 steps patterns with¸the new one, I'll probvably get one. Otherwise it's only good for techno.

polardark

Post by polardark » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:20 pm

Hugo76 wrote:Really? What about the new DS XL, same as the DSi?
The DSi XL (and the japanese version DSi LL) is mostly identical except for the bigger screens and longer battery time. If you want to use a DS for music in some manner then a DSi (or DSi XL/LL) is probably slightly better.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:08 am

polardark wrote:
The DSi XL (and the japanese version DSi LL) is mostly identical except for the bigger screens and longer battery time. If you want to use a DS for music in some manner then a DSi (or DSi XL/LL) is probably slightly better.
Aren't the speakers also bigger on the XL? Thing is I got a little tired after a while when playing with the DS lite + Korg DS-10. I might just wait for the XL instead of picking up the DSi now, if there's an improvement in the speakers. On the other hand, I'd really like to start tweaking again... ;)

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:13 am

Hugo76 wrote:
polardark wrote:
Aren't the speakers also bigger on the XL? Thing is I got a little tired after a while when playing with the DS lite + Korg DS-10. I might just wait for the XL instead of picking up the DSi now, if there's an improvement in the speakers. On the other hand, I'd really like to start tweaking again... ;)
what's wrong with headphones?

polardark

Post by polardark » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:03 am

Hugo76 wrote:I might just wait for the XL instead of picking up the DSi now, if there's an improvement in the speakers. On the other hand, I'd really like to start tweaking again... ;)
I like the speakers on the DSi LL. They're superior to the ones on my DS Lite anyhow. Mind you I've only used the speakers in playing Castlevania and Electroplankton so far (because those are the only two titles that I ehm... actually own and the DSi won't accept my old flash cart). Besides the speakers are still pretty small even if they are bigger than the old ones. You'll get much better audio quality with headphones or monitor speakers.
tekkentool wrote:what's wrong with headphones?
If you're wearing glasses like me, it's nice to not have to use headphones all the time because of the chafing. I also use a pair of fairly decent in-ear headphones but long term use with those is probably not healthy either.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:34 pm

polardark wrote:Besides the speakers are still pretty small even if they are bigger than the old ones. You'll get much better audio quality with headphones or monitor speakers.
Yeah, when I had the DS lite I ran the audio into my SP 606. But even if the built-in speakers are only marginally better, I'll go for the XL. I used to use the lite when going to the cabin.
tekkentool wrote:what's wrong with headphones?
Damaging to the hearing.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:55 am

Headphones are not bad if you control your volume.

I know it can be hard when you're getting into it but you can often hear more when the volume is at a reasonable level.

In fact, I have read some interviews with famous engineers and producers and many of them say they master at very low volumes - often so low you that normal conversation will drown it out.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:25 pm

Cumulus wrote:Headphones are not bad if you control your volume.
That's probably true. Many people aren't, however, aware of the dangers and listen to volumes that are way beyond what's recommendable. Personally I get very quickly tired of using headphones, which is probably a sign that my ears really don't handle them.

polardark

Post by polardark » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:43 pm

Well... I finally got DS-10 into my DSi LL, and I love it!

The sound is cleaner and the bigger screen makes it less of a problem to hit the right controls.

It still doesn't sound exactly fat though. With the improvement in audio quality you recognize that it does sound a bit digital. That's not necessarily a bad thing since every instrument has it's own character. I'll need to investigate the frequency range of the DSi audio output sometime. I know my oldest DS had a pretty lousy sound output which cut everything above 15 kHz and seemed to cut the bass as well. I can't seem to get very fat bass out of mine so it needs looking into.

Barfunkel

Post by Barfunkel » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:57 pm

The bass wasn't that bad in the original. The mixing algorithm was, though. Kicks and basslines sound pretty good when soloed, but when you play all the parts the bass is lost somewhere. I actually like the kick drums it can make, you just need to tweak the preset kick a bit to make it deeper.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:55 pm

EBGames.com just chagred my credit card over the weekend for the DS-10 so that means they should be shipping it out soon.

Now I just have to confiscate my son's DSi for a few hours....

boxed

Post by boxed » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:22 pm

How good is the synth?

From the videos I've seen on Youtube,the DS-10 synthesizer doesn't sound very versatile. I haven't seen anyone trying to do e-pianos, brass sounds or plucked strings patches. Or even more modern sounds like Wobble basses.

The DS has more processing power than a C64 SID chip or a ESQ-1 DOC I chip. So it should be quite capable I think.

boxed

Post by boxed » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:24 pm

This is pretty cool tho

Barfunkel

Post by Barfunkel » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:39 pm

boxed wrote:How good is the synth?

From the videos I've seen on Youtube,the DS-10 synthesizer doesn't sound very versatile. I haven't seen anyone trying to do e-pianos, brass sounds or plucked strings patches. Or even more modern sounds like Wobble basses.

The DS has more processing power than a C64 SID chip or a ESQ-1 DOC I chip. So it should be quite capable I think.
It's a very, well, synthesizer-y synth. A very simple monosynth without millions of oscillators, envelopes and LFO's. That's kinda the whole point of it, you can take it to a train and get a nice synthesizer groove going in a few minutes. If it had 20 pages of modulation possibilities it would be a lot harder to work with. It is what it is, it's not meant to replace a 3000$ workstation.

polardark

Post by polardark » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:56 pm

boxed wrote:I haven't seen anyone trying to do e-pianos, brass sounds or plucked strings patches.
Mmm, think of it as a sort of distant cousin to the ER-1 and EA-1 Korg Electribe beat boxes. I don't think I'd even want to compose anything too complex on that little nintendo ds screen :(