I just pre-ordered Korg DS-10 PLUS

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Henfield
Gear: MU Modular in a Moog 1P style cabinet, Moog Minitaur, and Moogerfooger rack.

Re: I just pre-ordered Korg DS-10 PLUS

Post by Henfield » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:11 am

Wow, I just saw the cartridge at a Best Buy store for $29.99, and they had about 4 or 5 of them on the shelf! I do not have a Nintendo DS Series unit, or I would have snatched up the cartridge. I travel often enough to make me want to look at this as a fun/composition tool while I am on the plane or in the airport, but there are two questions that I have: 1) How does it really sound through headphones, and 2) Is the output noisy if I patch it into my mixing board and amplify it?

I am really thinking of making the $200 + investment into the DS, DS-10 , and carrying case, but I have to know that it is more than just a toy.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:27 pm

Henfield:
In my opinion the DS-10 is a fantastic little synthesizer. I've used it in a couple of projects and find very little to
complain about regarding sound quality. It's VERY fun and addictive :D

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:37 pm

polardark wrote:
Can someone explain what's going on in the video above?
The camera is out of focus. By pressing the different buttons, is this person switching between patterns he/she created? Or are those buttons labeled with chord names, and the arpeggiator is being switched to different chords?

Also, anyone know where I can download the DS-10 Plus manual?
I did a search but only found torrent site. Can't do that at work.
Thanks1

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:49 pm

soundxplorer wrote:
polardark wrote:
Can someone explain what's going on in the video above?
The camera is out of focus. By pressing the different buttons, is this person switching between patterns he/she created? Or are those buttons labeled with chord names, and the arpeggiator is being switched to different chords?
That is the pattern selection area. I've seen a lot of people use the DS-10 this way. They program different patterns/chords in the pattern area & then trigger live. There is also a song mode where patterns can be sequenced. Great demo above. I need to get hold of DS-10 plus myself. It's what the DSi was made for ;) I really hope AQ Interactive do some more software for the DS. They've done an amazing job with DS-10/DS-10 plus.

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:10 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for something to replace my old Yamaha QY-20. It was easy to program chord sequences on that. For example, you hold down C in chord mode and it plays a C Major chord, then you can press other buttons labeled "minor7", diminished", etc. to get variations. I'm looking for something hand held that makes it quick and easy to come up with chord progressions. Still haven't found anything for the iPhone like that. The DS-10 still looks really cool though - better than the iPhone sequencer apps I've seen.

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:33 pm

Anyone know where I can buy DS-10 plus from in the UK? Is out yet in the UK? I bought the original DS-10 from Japan when it was released but I don't think imported games work on the DSi do they? That's the way I understood things were going to work with the DSi. It's a bit confusing really :?

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:51 am

soundxplorer wrote:Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for something to replace my old Yamaha QY-20. It was easy to program chord sequences on that. For example, you hold down C in chord mode and it plays a C Major chord, then you can press other buttons labeled "minor7", diminished", etc. to get variations. I'm looking for something hand held that makes it quick and easy to come up with chord progressions. Still haven't found anything for the iPhone like that. The DS-10 still looks really cool though - better than the iPhone sequencer apps I've seen.
Note that the synths in the DS-10 are monophonic.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:35 am

soundxplorer wrote:Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for something to replace my old Yamaha QY-20. It was easy to program chord sequences on that. For example, you hold down C in chord mode and it plays a C Major chord, then you can press other buttons labeled "minor7", diminished", etc. to get variations. I'm looking for something hand held that makes it quick and easy to come up with chord progressions. Still haven't found anything for the iPhone like that. The DS-10 still looks really cool though - better than the iPhone sequencer apps I've seen.

maybe that?

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:38 pm

tekkentool wrote:maybe that?
Kinda like that, yeah. But just like the DS-10 you have to program your own chords into the buttons, and you get a limited amount of them.

And I realize the DS-10 only had two synth voices originally, so there is a good reason why they didn't put any chord functionality in it. But the new one has 4 voices, so you could do it if you wanted to.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:15 pm

One thing I have noticed on the DS-10 Pplus compared to the original non plus DS-10 is that sometimes the response on the Kaoss pad is not as quick.

I have three possibel theories as to why:

1. The plus is using more computing power and htta has introduced some latency into the thing.

2. The DSI touch creen is not as good. (or maybe the stylus itself?)

3. I am spoiled by the response of the x-y pad on the Kaossilator.

I didn't notice the problem until after I got the Kaossilator so I am leaning toward theory # 3. I just wanted to se if anybody else noticed any issues with notes not triggering using the x-y thingie on the DS-10 Plus

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cumulus » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:33 pm

I just came upwith theory #4. There is a screen protector on the thing, which is causing the response issues.

Simple solution.

madrasputin
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Too many to list. Ask if you want a list of my gear to peruse.
Band: Narcotic Puppeteers

Post by madrasputin » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:48 pm

Ebay, Ebay, Ebay! They have the original DS-10 cartridge or the new Plus one and they are both pretty well priced at around 38.00 USD and 28.00 USD there. Also I saw a few on Amazon (just the original DS-10) new that ranged from 20.00 USD to 40.00 USD. The DS-10 was the only reason I bought a DS lol. Now I'm having fun with my circuit bent PSP. Look those up on Ebay if you haven't seen them, they sound amazing!

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cumulus » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:02 pm

Gamestop has the DS-10 PLus for $29.00. You may have ot go to their site but they sometimtes have it in the stores as well. I got the original DS-10 at a Gamestop store as well.

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:56 pm

Can you use an imported DS-10 plus on a UK DSi?

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:44 am

Dogboy73 wrote:Can you use an imported DS-10 plus on a UK DSi?
No you can't.

The original DS wasn't region locked, so you could use games from anywhere on it. But the DSi is region locked, so no you can't.