Japan "Burning Bridges"- what synths?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
PPG_HOSHII!

Re: Japan "Burning Bridges"- what synths?

Post by PPG_HOSHII! » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:57 am

This really is fascinating info! I have a copy of the "Gentleman Take Polaroids" LP hanging on my wall.
GTP was/still is my favorite Japan album. A wonderful album for cloudy days and more inhibited states of mind.

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Mon May 24, 2010 12:24 pm

PPG_HOSHII! wrote:This really is fascinating info! I have a copy of the "Gentleman Take Polaroids" LP hanging on my wall.
GTP was/still is my favorite Japan album. A wonderful album for cloudy days and more inhibited states of mind.

Live footage from "Oil on Canvas" , released in 1983. Some really haunting sounds on this track, "Canton" from the Tin Drum album.

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Mon May 24, 2010 12:53 pm

Which parts are polymoog?

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Mon May 24, 2010 2:59 pm

The Polymoog was used for the stringy parts on "Nightporter". There's about 5 separate string parts that make up the melody.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Mon May 24, 2010 3:03 pm

iProg wrote:
PPG_HOSHII! wrote:This really is fascinating info! I have a copy of the "Gentleman Take Polaroids" LP hanging on my wall.

Live footage from "Oil on Canvas" , released in 1983. Some really haunting sounds on this track, "Canton" from the Tin Drum album.

Yeah, great stuff!

You can hear the Prophet 10 from 1.30 to 2.15 and 3.00 to 3.45 and 3.55 to 4.07.

Barbieri told me that most of the sounds on "Oil on Canvas" (about 75%) was from the OB-X though, changing patches very quickly to play as many parts as possible.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

colmon

Post by colmon » Mon May 24, 2010 3:26 pm

wow

slightly off topic, but do you have any idea what the setup was for the jansen/barbieri album, worlds in a small room? amazing little known ambient record from 1985

chamomileshark

Post by chamomileshark » Mon May 24, 2010 5:44 pm

Micke wrote:Barbieri used a Roland 700 "Laboratory system"--it was his first synth. Micke
crikey!

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave x3, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3

Post by calyx93 » Tue May 25, 2010 7:00 pm

Micke wrote:The Polymoog was used for the stringy parts on "Nightporter". There's about 5 separate string parts that make up the melody.
Some of the most moody and beautiful strings in that song - so silky and sullen. I'd often tried recreating them on the P5 and Solina - now I know how they were made. Thanks Micke! :)
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue May 25, 2010 7:45 pm

You're welcome, calyx93 :)

The PM was apparently owned by the studio where that album was recorded.

japan

Post by japan » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:52 pm

It's incredible...30 years after, Gentlemen Take Polaroids keeps its own stature untouched. It was recorded between july and august of 1980, and I don't know if the band was aware of the impact of the album once it was launched...and 30 years in the future. I've listened a lot of music from the late 70's and early 80's, one of the most interesting periods in the synth-based music, and it's hard to find albums so good and well made as Gentlemen Take Polaroids, and obviously, Tin Drum.

Nice topic, always there's something to know about Japan and their members.

And Micke, you are a really invaluable source of information to us. Thanks. And many thanks to Richard Barbieri too, he's a very kind person.

PD: It's strange that in the Nightporter site, there's no information about the synthesizers or other instrument used by the band members. Well, it's like many other fan sites, but the best about Japan.

Cheers.
"the simple life is no longer there..."

SubliminalEffect

Post by SubliminalEffect » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:46 am

Micke wrote:Not only did Sylvain play most P5 parts, he programmed the sounds too (at least on "Tin Drum", listen to the awesome "R2-D2" sounds on Ghosts for example*).
i'm surprised that no one else has asked already so i'll go ahead and do it... does anyone have an idea how Sylvian got those "awesome R2-D2 sounds on Ghosts" out of a Prophet 5?

i couldn't guess the number of times i've heard that song. would never have thought those sounds would be from a Prophet 5. a wavetable synth, i could understand but not your common, average Prophet 5.

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:07 am

SubliminalEffect wrote:
Micke wrote:Not only did Sylvain play most P5 parts, he programmed the sounds too (at least on "Tin Drum", listen to the awesome "R2-D2" sounds on Ghosts for example*).
i'm surprised that no one else has asked already so i'll go ahead and do it... does anyone have an idea how Sylvian got those "awesome R2-D2 sounds on Ghosts" out of a Prophet 5?

i couldn't guess the number of times i've heard that song. would never have thought those sounds would be from a Prophet 5. a wavetable synth, i could understand but not your common, average Prophet 5.
It's achieved by the Poly-mod section of the Prophet-5, with lfo modulating both filter and oscillator.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:07 pm

Also, the sound and character of the patch is determined by how it's played. I mean, even if you had the same
sound you'd have a hard time to get it to sound exactly as on the record.

To avoid confusion, the "R2-D2" sounds are those heard between 0:29-0:31, 0:46-0:48, 1:43-1:44, 2:02-2:04 etc.:

japan

Post by japan » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:20 pm

I need a Prophet-5 right now... :evil:
"the simple life is no longer there..."

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:15 am

Maybe one of you guys can help out with this:
http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =2&t=57278