Japan "Burning Bridges"- what synths?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Re: Japan "Burning Bridges"- what synths?

Post by iProg » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:49 am

Micke: In the beginning of the second verse in "Ghosts" there is a drifty slop-detuning soft brass playing some notes. Is that the P5 or OB-X?

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:28 pm

The OB-X does the detuned melody as well as the sustained chords. The staccato chords are from the P5.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50

Post by iProg » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:32 pm

Allright!

I've been listening a lot to my Japan CD's recently, sadly due to the tragic passing of Mick Karn.

Are there any other Polymoog parts than the Nightporter strings?

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:23 pm

Yes, the Polymoog was also used on Quiet Life, Rhodesia and European Son (although the latter could be an ARP Omni, or both).

Barbieri also used a Mellotron on some of the earlier tracks, try to see if you can figure out which ones ;-)
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:57 pm

So have you figured out yet which songs with Japan that feature the Mellotron :?:

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by iProg » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:05 am

Micke wrote:So have you figured out yet which songs with Japan that feature the Mellotron :?:
Haven't noticed any mellotron on either Tin Drum or GTP, so if I'm not mistaken it has to be on some of the older albums...which I haven't heard yet.. :?

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:23 pm

You guessed right, there is no mellotron on GTP nor Tin Drum. I'm not sure though what was used for the choir-ish sounds towards the end of "Swing"...could be a VP-330.

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by iProg » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:49 pm

Micke wrote:You guessed right, there is no mellotron on GTP nor Tin Drum. I'm not sure though what was used for the choir-ish sounds towards the end of "Swing"...could be a VP-330.
It reminds me of a choir-ish sound that Queen used, and I saw a studio video of the recording of "One Vision" and "Innuendo" where I think the VP-330 was featured.

prophonic

Post by prophonic » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:44 pm

@Micke: do you know which keyboards were used by Richard live on tour before the GTP album ?
I just wonder if he used any sequencer in '79 when they started to play European Son.
There is a bootleg from 79 at Budokan and the intro 'sequence' is speeding up.
Thanks.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:26 pm

If I recall correctly for the '79 tour Richard used the Micromoog, Roland 700 'laboratory system" controlled by an Oberheim mini-sequencer,
ARP/Solina string ensemble and a Wurlitzer electric piano.

prophonic

Post by prophonic » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:22 am

Amazing info, thanks Micke. I assume he didn't have the chunky Roland effects units (Space Echo, SBF-325) with him on tour, so probably MXR pedals ?

Lukcook

Post by Lukcook » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:20 pm

prophonic wrote:Amazing info, thanks Micke. I assume he didn't have the chunky Roland effects units (Space Echo, SBF-325) with him on tour, so probably MXR pedals ?

Hello

I would really apreciate if you could answer me this questions.

I have a DSX Sequencer and the Oberheim OB8.

Can this sequencer save different patches on each track? For example, Bass part on sequence 1 track 1. And string part on sequence 1 and track 2.
I was trying everything. The manual mentions the 0 button. This 0 button saves the patches and splits. But can it save different patches for each track??

Thanks for everything and sorry for interuption.

Cheers
Luka

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:20 pm

No, the OB8 is bitimbral. You can only get two different sounds out of it at once.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound