could you survive with only a minimoog/voyager?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

minimoog/voyager as your one and only

i would survive gladly
37%
i guess i could do it, but i wouldnt always be happy
35%
i spit in your face at the thought of such absurdity
27%

Total votes: 51

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Re: could you survive with only a minimoog/voyager?

Post by Neonlights84 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:26 am

bionic muffins wrote:could you be elated with a minimoog as your only synth?

or would you be begrudgingly semi happy and just accept it?

or would you be downright mad at this proposition?

If it were a Voyager, I would be elated.
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

vin14
Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Post by vin14 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:12 pm

It's not ideal, but I'd accept it, you could have worse as your only synth! Once I could use a DAW for multi-tracking/sampling and a controller keyboard for polyphonic playback (if it was the model D) I'd get on with it.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:22 pm

I had a Voyager for a while, but i preferred my Minimax-ASB over it, and... happily bounced the Voyager out of the door.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:08 pm

Only if I get a nice array of pedals to go with the Voyager, as it often sounds either too dark or too boring without EQ in the mix/out insert jack, to me. VX expanders would have to be included too.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

VCOrhubarb

Post by VCOrhubarb » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:31 pm

I'd survive with just a Minimoog, but I'd rather have an ARP Odyssey.

bionic muffins

Post by bionic muffins » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:39 pm

arp odyssey, that brings me to my next point...

just curious, are there other monosynths that you guys beat the moogs? roland sh-101,...

i guess im wondering how many guys are die hard moog or death types and how many prefer other units as a monosynth.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:56 pm

bionic muffins wrote: just curious, are there other monosynths that you guys beat the moogs? roland sh-101,...

i guess im wondering how many guys are die hard moog or death types and how many prefer other units as a monosynth.
Well, for funky bass a lot of the time you can't beat a model D. Sometimes a Yamaha DX-1 is superior. It all depends what the song needs, I suppose. It might sound better to use both together, layered. No need to limit the imagination, eh?

Moogs have a specific sound that some people don't even like. Compared to a lot of other synths, they're quite limited in features. All of the DSI synths have more modulation options than any of the non-modular Moogs, for example.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

bionic muffins

Post by bionic muffins » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:05 pm

yeah its definately a personal preference thing. i dont really feel inspired at all by DSI stuff, but voyagers in particular feel so...comfortable to me.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:23 pm

The only thing I can say which should be true across the board about the Minimoog (and I don't mean the Voyager, although it might be true about the Voyager, someone else will have to comment on that) and several other models of Moog is that you always get a pleasing result from your efforts... that is one of the things that makes it (or them) a great keyboard. However, I totally agree with Shaft. It's a very specific sound, and not always appropriate for the ends of some synthesizer users.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:29 pm

Comparing a Voyager to a Model D with the updated oscillator board, I found the two instruments quite similar when staying within the limits of the Model D. Biggest obvious difference to me was that the oscillators on the Voyager do not sound as bright. However, if you're after some of those old Moog record solo tones, like d**k Hymen, this actually can work in your favor if you use the Voyager smoothed S&H to add slight drift to the oscillators. If you want the big and bright Mini sounds, the Voyager really needs an EQ or Exciter in the Mix-Out Insert path.

Voyager also produces faint clicks as you turn cutoff, for higher pitched notes. Voyager OS doesn't have that issue, and the OS is much easier to detune the oscillators. Regular Voyagers require you to turn the knob fast, then turn it slowly back.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

psionic11
Gear: -Fusion 8HD/6HD, Micron, X guitar, VFX-SD
-Ex5r, WSA1r, DD65, Performance Pad
-BCF, FCB, ExpressionMate, VF1, BC3
-(past) Juno 106, DW8000, Fantom Xa

Post by psionic11 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:35 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Nope, I need polyphony and multitimbrality.
What he said. I think it's a bit overzealous to go with just one note from one synth.

I dig the sound my trombone gets. But as a multi-instrumentalist, I couldn't live on trombone alone.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:18 am

psionic11 wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:Nope, I need polyphony and multitimbrality.
What he said. I think it's a bit overzealous to go with just one note from one synth.

I dig the sound my trombone gets. But as a multi-instrumentalist, I couldn't live on trombone alone.
If, within the construct of the original premise, we are only allowed the minimoog/voyager and no other piece of equipment, I suppose I would miss chords, etc., especially because I can't write music with monophony alone. But if the original premise just means that I could only have one synth along with means to record it, I would have all of the polyphony I needed.
I assume when people want multitimbrality, they're basically saying "I wouldn't be able to sequence this effectively without the ability to have multiple tracks."

I guarantee you could make more than a trombone sound with the Minimoog. :wink: (ha ha, I hope you're saying that the breadth of sound able to be generated by the Minimoog or Voyager would not be suitable for the breadth of sounds you need for what you make)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:21 pm

In the early '90s I had but one synth at my disposal - a nice little Moog Source. It was all I used for about 2 years.

So yes, I could survive with just a Voyager. I think I would probably be the better for it too, because there is no better way of leaning everything a synth can do than to have just one and use it to the exclusion of all others.

In my case, it helps that I'm a hobbyist and not a "real" musician though. If I had to make a living at it I might be more favourably disposed to having something polyphonic and multitimbral.

druzz
Band: November's Ego

Post by druzz » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:45 pm

Solderman wrote:Comparing a Voyager to a Model D with the updated oscillator board, I found the two instruments quite similar when staying within the limits of the Model D. Biggest obvious difference to me was that the oscillators on the Voyager do not sound as bright. However, if you're after some of those old Moog record solo tones, like d**k Hymen, this actually can work in your favor if you use the Voyager smoothed S&H to add slight drift to the oscillators. If you want the big and bright Mini sounds, the Voyager really needs an EQ or Exciter in the Mix-Out Insert path.

Voyager also produces faint clicks as you turn cutoff, for higher pitched notes. Voyager OS doesn't have that issue, and the OS is much easier to detune the oscillators. Regular Voyagers require you to turn the knob fast, then turn it slowly back.

"Regular Voyagers require you to turn the knob fast, then turn it slowly back." could you please explain that . are you talking about cutoff or oscillator freaquency

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:05 pm

druzz wrote:
Solderman wrote:....

"Regular Voyagers require you to turn the knob fast, then turn it slowly back." could you please explain that . are you talking about cutoff or oscillator freaquency
Probably what SM means, just guessing, is that because the Voyager has a preset memory, it needs a tweaking of the knobs so that the position of the knobs match the sound being heard?

Back to the original question: Yes I could, but I'd rather do this gear limitation with an ARP 2600.

Perhaps a more interesting exercise would be to do a CD using just one synth per song, and a voice (if a vocalist).

No other instruments are to be used.

I think I'll give it a try myself.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18