could you survive with only a minimoog/voyager?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

minimoog/voyager as your one and only

i would survive gladly
37%
i guess i could do it, but i wouldnt always be happy
35%
i spit in your face at the thought of such absurdity
27%

Total votes: 51

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: could you survive with only a minimoog/voyager?

Post by Solderman » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:24 pm

druzz wrote:
Solderman wrote:Voyager also produces faint clicks as you turn cutoff, for higher pitched notes. Voyager OS doesn't have that issue, and the OS is much easier to detune the oscillators. Regular Voyagers require you to turn the knob fast, then turn it slowly back.
"Regular Voyagers require you to turn the knob fast, then turn it slowly back." could you please explain that . are you talking about cutoff or oscillator freaquency
This is in reagrds to Oscillator Fine Tune. The way I understand it, the digital part of the Voyager is constantly reading the knob setting. Dr. Bob(RIP) wanted to use pots instead of encoders, so a conversion takes place just for each knob. The pot's analog signal converts into a digital word, then converts back to analog and goes to the voice board. If there are trace amounts of noise before the knob conversion, the value could potentially edit itself. To prevent that, one has to force a change at the knob beyond a threshold just to register it, then a timer starts which temporarily kills that threshold and you may gently turn the fine tune knob.

So as everyone, who love VCO's that prodce that wonderful phasing effect from two oscillators a few semi-cents apart know, in a pure analog interface environment, if the fine tune knob covers both a positive and negative perfect fifth range, you have to finely tweak the knob to get this effect. On the Voyager, you can only do it right if you turn a few dozen semi-cents past this point, then slowly turn it back.

In addition to that, the internal resolution is much greater than the value presented on the LED display, so the direction you turn the fine tune knob produces a different effect "between" two of the displayed values.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

psionic11
Gear: -Fusion 8HD/6HD, Micron, X guitar, VFX-SD
-Ex5r, WSA1r, DD65, Performance Pad
-BCF, FCB, ExpressionMate, VF1, BC3
-(past) Juno 106, DW8000, Fantom Xa

Re: could you survive with only a minimoog/voyager?

Post by psionic11 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:47 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
psionic11 wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:Nope, I need polyphony and multitimbrality.
What he said. I think it's a bit overzealous to go with just one note from one synth.

I dig the sound my trombone gets. But as a multi-instrumentalist, I couldn't live on trombone alone.
If, within the construct of the original premise, we are only allowed the minimoog/voyager and no other piece of equipment, I suppose I would miss chords, etc., especially because I can't write music with monophony alone. But if the original premise just means that I could only have one synth along with means to record it, I would have all of the polyphony I needed.
I assume when people want multitimbrality, they're basically saying "I wouldn't be able to sequence this effectively without the ability to have multiple tracks."

I guarantee you could make more than a trombone sound with the Minimoog. :wink: (ha ha, I hope you're saying that the breadth of sound able to be generated by the Minimoog or Voyager would not be suitable for the breadth of sounds you need for what you make)
Hmm, that's a hard one to pin down. I think it's not so much multitimbrality I'd be mighty sore without, but the polyphony. I could live the rest of my musical lifetime on a grand piano alone. It's the range of expression, the repertoire available, and the physical feeling of banging on the keys or the intimacy of the emotional sounds that the grand piano gives.

But if the original premise is one synth only, I'd want one with polyphony, velocity and aftertouch, and at least 76 keys, 88 preferred. Drums. Good piano sound, nice virtual or real analog, woodwinds. Doesn't have to be multitimbral, but must have plenty of modulation options, FX, filters... I'll stop now.

Bottomline, one single sound at a time, no matter how luscious or how many tracks can be recorded of it, just isn't enough. The Muse most often is not recorded -- it's spontaneous performance when the mood is right.

I'm probably the oddball here, on a vintage synth forum, having never owned a Moog nor Oberheim...