Wow... EML!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mmm

Re: Wow... EML!

Post by mmm » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:17 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
oh man... I love how old skool and lab-like that looks... I realize it's just the orientation of the units (plus whatever that stuff is at the bottom-what are those buttons for? "If you reconstitute the aperature of the unilevualer quadrupulator, and punch in a hex key of the base root of 2..."), but it looks like something out of raymond scott's studio... pure old skool quirky synthesis.
Those are the EML 300's. Sort of EML's controller compliment to the 200.
The 4x4 keypads relate to the 4x4 matrix of pots next to them. They had a pulse, gate and Voltage output. If you pushed one of the buttons, you would get a pulse out of the pulse output, a gate voltage out of the gate output for as long as you held the button down and whatever voltage that was set for that button with the associated pot was available at the voltage output. The voltage latched.

I use them for transposing the sequences.

George Mattson

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:53 am

George Mattson on VSE!!! Welcome. :D
Love the idea of your modular line!

LWG

Post by LWG » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:56 am

Hello,

There were quite a few performing artists who got their EMLs to scale an operate fairly stable.
The German band Passport used a 101 at some point. Not sure if the keyboardist in the clip is
Klaus Doldinger or Christian Schulze:

Doldinger - "Eternal Spiral" 1975

Keyboardist Delmar Brown also used an EML 500 (along with Oberheim 4vce) with guitarist, Pat Martino's Joyous Lake band, circa 1976. Pat Martino in addition, used a 101 on the 76 release (Joyous Lake). The 500 also appears on the 75 release, "Starbright". Both albums appear on a cd titled, "First Light"
(tracks: M'Wandishi, Blue Macaw, Deeda) click arrow and the full track will play.

Pat Martino - First Light 1976
http://music.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuse ... d=12821935

Also, Al Greenwood with Foreigner used an EML-101 (its probably whats on "Cold As Ice").
Although there is a clip with him playing with Minimoog in the setup, the 101 (and later Oberheim OB-1) was on the Foreigner recordings.

-l

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:16 pm

LWG wrote:Hello,

There were quite a few performing artists who got their EMLs to scale an operate fairly stable.
The German band Passport used a 101 at some point. Not sure if the keyboardist in the clip is
Klaus Doldinger or Christian Schulze:

Doldinger - "Eternal Spiral" 1975

-l

From what I can tell it's neither of the keyboardists you mention, the band featured in that clip
appears to be some Hungarian prog-rockers called V'73. I don't think Passport ever used EML gear but I may be wrong.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:33 pm

LWG wrote:Hello

Also, Al Greenwood with Foreigner used an EML-101 (its probably whats on "Cold As Ice").
-l
Yeah, that would be the EML-101.

Tommy Mars and Peter Wolf of Frank Zappa band were also using some EML gear like the electrocomp 101,
Synkey and poly box.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

LWG

Post by LWG » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:54 am

Micke wrote:From what I can tell it's neither of the keyboardists you mention, the band featured in that clip
appears to be some Hungarian prog-rockers called V'73. I don't think Passport ever used EML gear but I may be wrong.

Micke, thanks for the correction. I was thrown off by the clip and thought something was amiss, but couldn't put my finger on it. I have a number of their releases on vinyl from that period (including "Looking Thru") and knew I didn't ever remember hearing anything but Mellotron and Minimoog for their electronic sounds.
Here is the lp version I am familiar with:

Passport - Eternal Spiral 1974

Regards,

-l

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:07 am

mmm wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:
oh man... I love how old skool and lab-like that looks... I realize it's just the orientation of the units (plus whatever that stuff is at the bottom-what are those buttons for? "If you reconstitute the aperature of the unilevualer quadrupulator, and punch in a hex key of the base root of 2..."), but it looks like something out of raymond scott's studio... pure old skool quirky synthesis.
Those are the EML 300's. Sort of EML's controller compliment to the 200.
The 4x4 keypads relate to the 4x4 matrix of pots next to them. They had a pulse, gate and Voltage output. If you pushed one of the buttons, you would get a pulse out of the pulse output, a gate voltage out of the gate output for as long as you held the button down and whatever voltage that was set for that button with the associated pot was available at the voltage output. The voltage latched.

I use them for transposing the sequences.

George Mattson
Hey George! Long time no speak! How are you doing?

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Wow... E

Post by otto » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:23 pm

I had a couple people ask for sounds. These aren't the best clips but they were some samples I was chopping up and using for a couple song ideas and they are the only thing I have recorded of it at the moment. Believe me, it get's a lot more interesting. I'll have to sit down and try to do a real demo of the synth sometime... that wasn't the intent of these but I figure it's better than nothing and can give you some hint of the tonal qualities. This is just the EML 500, no sequencing, processing, etc.

http://soundcloud.com/rodman-serling/eml1

http://soundcloud.com/rodman-serling/eml2

and in case you missed it, this is the first time I've seen one for sale on ebay:

hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

roland4387
Gear: TB-303(x's 2), EML 101, System 100 Model 101, TR-808 & 606, SH-2, ARP Odyssey MKII, Korg MS-20, Xbase999, Korg KMS-30, SBX-80, Future Retro Mobius

Post by roland4387 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:09 am

I saw that 500 myself Otto and almost jumped on it several times, but I had already settled on this...

Panel looks damn good, but the keys, no bueno. Anyone have any suggestions on how I could clean / whiten them? I appreciate any tips from you guys, thanks!

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:59 am

EML came at things from a different direction. The guys who founded the company were not musicians; they were all engineers, and they had to learn about music and the industry as they went. They had spent a lot of time doing aerospace work, and at the time they started the company, they knew more about ICs than anyone else in the synth field. I know, from having had mine open, that there's a bunch of mil-spec parts in the 101.

And yeah, it seems like all EML stuff has that lab-equipment feel. They had an outsiders' perspective, and because of that they did a lot of things in ways that other people would not have thought of. Sometimes that caused problems, but sometimes they came up with ideas that made everyone else say "why didn't we think of that?" Like the VCA mod input that you can dial through various degrees of AM up to full ring modulation.

And their stuff was usually less expensive than the competition. That was one of the big selling points of the 101 -- at the time, it was about $500 less than the ARP 2600. The EML guys were diabolical electrical engineers; there's hardly a single part in the 101 that doesn't do at least two jobs.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

mmm

Post by mmm » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:52 pm

I tore my EML (shown in earlier posts) apart and re-vamped it over the past year. Added a few more panels, made a new case, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 4d673cfe8c

George

Now, How do I insert the pic?

OntarioHydro
Band: {}[]<>[]{}

Post by OntarioHydro » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:08 am

Wow the wood looks great! Amazing job George this is some legendary system 700 kind of monster, awesome!

Whats the VCO/Filter count on that system?

Trom69

Post by Trom69 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:30 pm

Agreed. It's freaking beutiful!
Cracking softsynths for virtual circuit-bending