Waldorf Q+, almost like the Loch Ness Monster?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
synthmax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: PEK, Voyager, JP-8080, Sirius, Radias, Lead 2, X-Station25, KS-Rack, Z1, MPC4000

Waldorf Q+, almost like the Loch Ness Monster?

Post by synthmax » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:32 am

Few instruments have captured my attention like the Q+, probably for no good reason. It exists, or so I hear, and one even appeared on eBay recently. However you slice it though, it is very rare. Is it in production? Was it a total flop? What's the deal!

supermel74

Re: Waldorf Q+, almost like the Loch Ness Monster?

Post by supermel74 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:44 am

Probably flopped due to being ridiculously overpriced. It makes more sense to buy an Andromeda for a lot less which is 100% analog instead of a VA with analog filters.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:09 am

I don't know if this music store (EMISmusic) in Bristol here in the UK, still sells this -

Waldorf Q Phoenix Edition @ £1699

| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:34 am

That's a Q.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:16 pm

masstronaut wrote:That's a Q.
Yep that's a Q Phoenix, Oddly enough the Q+ is still advertised on Waldorf's website ?
But what is this then - http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/2 ... paign=base

A Q+ Phoenix Edition @ £2,348.98
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:11 pm

Well, it looks gorgeous anyway, so if you do have some spare cash you'd get a mighty fine piece of furniture AND an great sounding synth.

CapnMarvel

Post by CapnMarvel » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:17 pm

I actually bought a Q from a buddy here on VSE forums. Very interesting keyboard, but it didn't last in my setup (supplanted by a JD800, which to me was a lot more visceral and immediate). I'm trying to get around to selling it now.

I've yet to actually SEE a Q+ in person.
Gear List: A bunch that go 'WHHONNGG!', several that go 'tweedle tweedle' and 'thumpity', and a few that don't make any noise at all but have lots of delightful little lights on them.

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:20 pm

Great workflow. Excellent sound. Some have issues with the Analog filters.
Oh, and it's [RED]
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:46 pm

I'd say the Waldorf Wave is more of a Loch Ness Monster than the Q+. A couple of year ago, I'd saw them for sale often on eBay. Not so much these days, but I really don't search for Waldorf gear.

I think I've only seen a Wave for sale once in the past 3 years (about 2 years ago in Germany). I'd like to at least play one so I can see if it lives up to the hype. I wouldn't mind checking out a Q+, its specs look impressive.

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:16 pm

When the economy crashed about 2 years ago lots of rarer, pricier synths started showing up for sale : Cs80, Wave, T8, fizmo racks, voyetra eight, DX-1... etc. Very uncommon before that. Great time to be a buyer.....
The Wave has an amazing, easy interface. The sound is close to a microwave mk 1 with a much broader stereo field....sounds huge. The DX1 is like that as well.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:02 am

I think that Array has one and he knows it very well. i dunno if he's here, but he appears from time to time on futureproducers.

he can give you a deep review of the big Q. I got the Micro Q based a lot on his opinions of the big Q, but the rack version is not even the 1/4 of the keyboard with its arsenal of knobs.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

synthmax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: PEK, Voyager, JP-8080, Sirius, Radias, Lead 2, X-Station25, KS-Rack, Z1, MPC4000

Post by synthmax » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:24 pm

Is the Q+ out of production though? As others mentioned, it's on the website, but the whole thing seems like it has to be very dated gear.

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:37 pm

AFAIK they stopped when Waldorf went under the first time. When the company resurfaced they had enough parts to do a limited run ( think it was 50, perhaps 100 ) of the Q+. They redid the panel cosmetics and voila ! : Phoenix edition.
I was on the waiting list for one of these, they never showed up.I got tired of waiting and purchased a used ruby red Q+.There were a few phoenix editions ( demo models for various shows?) that showed up, one went on ebay. I was never sure if they actually finished the limited edition production run they announced so many years ago. Anyone know for sure?

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:57 pm

I would not miss the + on this one. Enough power for $775, I say....:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Waldorf-Q-Full-Rack ... 20af1f3134
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Post by Synthacon » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:24 am

I had the first Q+ in the UK when they first came out, and then I had the second one because the first one was broken, the packaging was awful on them!!

It was not a great machine from an Analogue point of view, yes the filters were real Analogue but they did not sound that great and in the time I had it I tended to just use the the standard digital filters in it as I thought it sounded better. I have some pics of it somewhere that I will dig out.

I sold it and bought a Synthex instead which was a much better sounding unit.

If you are in the market for one I would say go for a Q and stick it through an external VCF to warm it up. I do like Waldorf give though, its very deep and sounds pretty good.
You always want just one more Synth!