over-consumerism

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

over-consumerism

Post by Scories » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:11 am

After a few years without buying anything, I think I bought way too much gear over the past 3 months :

[ edit ]

Buying and selling stuff online is so time-consuming that I did not had the time to compose anything out of it yet. Believing in voluntary simplicity, I'm quite ashamed. :oops:
Last edited by Scories on Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Cosmosis
Gear: Access Virus A - Roland JX-8P - Korg K25 controller - Korg EX800 - Kaysound controller - Roland TR-707.
Band: TASHA-YAR/R. Mötte/Agrabatti

Re: over-consumerism

Post by Cosmosis » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:18 am

Too much is better than not enough :lol:

Scories

Post by Scories » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:22 am

As long as it's all useful I guess..

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Post by portland » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:26 am

Wow, I buy one thing like once a year and I still feel overwhelmed (but that could just be the TG77)
I'd be worried that I couldn't understand it all

Scories

Post by Scories » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:40 am

Really??! Well, maybe I should track one of those TG77.

Just kidding.

....but still.....

*sigh*

schmidtc

Post by schmidtc » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:47 am

Me too. I'm trying to keep a steady inflow/outflow, but I'm currently broke once again. My last 3 months:

Bought:
MOTM 440
Chroma polaris
Furman PQ-3
SCI Prophet 600

Built:
Sammich Sid

Fixed:
Prophet 600
Chroma Polaris x2
Linndrum

Selling:
Prophet 600
Chroma Polaris
Furman PQ-3

Sold:
Odyssey mkII
Linndrum

Music made:
Enjoy the silence cover -
:roll:

Scories

Post by Scories » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:55 am

Hey, there's bigger stuff moving on your studio! ;)
I've been thinking about the Polaris and the Prophet 600, but thought they might be a little too typically 80's sounding for my taste.

But is it like that all the time for you? I hope I will find a cure to stop thinking about gear asap.

Arturo00
Gear: @}-,-`-
Band: Hard Science

Post by Arturo00 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:36 am

Yeah right! It's been a banner year for me. Fortunately for me I was able to find some pretty fantastic deals. Either way, I could be saving for a down payment on a mortgage. Instead I decide to go for the passion! Over the last year I completely neglected investing in my recording studio (which I actually make money from...) and bought a s**t load of synths and setup. I blame Vintagesynth.com ;)

In order of acquisition:
  • Gakken SX-150 (it was supposed to be a little treat cos I hadn't bought a synth in years)
  • UAD-2 Solo
  • Juno 60
  • Jupiter 4
  • New Computer setup
  • Dimension Beam (original desktop unit before their technology was acquired by Roland)
  • TR-707
  • TR-909
  • TR-808
  • SH-101
  • Fostex line mixer
  • Prophet 5
  • SK-1
  • MSQ-100
  • ...and I have a Machinedrum UW MKII on order!
Luckily for me (or not) I work at a music store so I get all of my software for free or practically free. In the past year:
  • Ableton Live 7
  • Cubase 5
  • Reason 4
  • Dimension Pro
  • Sonar 8
  • All UAD-2 Plugins!!!
So yeah, that's where all my money goes. It's gotten slightly out of hand. Luckily I have a very understanding girlfriend.

As a result of this synth debauchery: http://www.soundcloud.com/arturo00
Haves: SCI Prophet 5 rev3.3 Moog Multimoog Roland Jupiter4, Juno60, RE201, SH101, TR707, TR808, TR909 Korg Polysix, Poly 800 II, Kaosillator Hammond L112, X5 w/ Leslie 760 Paia Fatman Casio VL-Tone, SK1 Gakken SX-150

elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Post by elmosexwhistle » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:38 pm

i tried to only buy modestly-priced things that would actually add something to my set up, a different type of synthesis perhaps, basically, i tried to go for one or two of different types of synths.

Alesis Fusion £400 - Live Use, Sampling, My Main Board
Korg DW8000 £120 - My first synth with an analogue filter! it's great for that 80s poly synth brass/string sound and also has some real depth.
Korg Poly 800 £63 - Mainly for aesthetic looks (i love turquoise) and use as a keytar, why buy a roland AX?
Yamaha DX11 £70 - My Main Glitchy FM Beast, industral S/H madness, also megadrive sounds!
Yamaha TX81z £35 - See above!
Kawai K1 £33 - Some interesting additive stuff going on, limited, but gets some interesting airy sounds.
Yamaha DMP 11 £20 - A steal! 8 track mono mixer with delay and reverb, great for running all of the above through!

finally, on its way is a CASIO HT-3000 £18!!! some great 80s drum sounds, and an interesting synthesis type, looks like a poly 800 with drums and a weird vca envelope thing going on on some of the vco waves!

gonna save for a Roland SH09 or SH2 next as i really want a monosynth!

i think i've done pretty well :)

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:01 pm

Amen. Ironically, my gear buying comes from wanting to find that one instrument that does it all. It's quite obvious I may never find that piece of gear, so I am simply going back to my 3 synth rule, as in never owning more than.

Effects (especially delay) don't count. ;)
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Trom69

Post by Trom69 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:52 pm

tallowwaters wrote:[...] so I am simply going back to my 3 synth rule, as in never owning more than.
Hey, I follow that rule too. 2 monos and 1 poly (plus some sort of sampler/drum machine) are good enough for me. Sometimes there's a fourth synth, but it's waiting to be sold...

But I never sold a synth in less than an year after had bought it, and only once bought more than one on the same year.
Last edited by Trom69 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cracking softsynths for virtual circuit-bending

Scories

Post by Scories » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:56 pm

tallowwaters wrote: I am simply going back to my 3 synth rule, as in never owning more than.
Yes, that's my type of rule too. After all, when you take those artists who own a 60-synths armada, most of the time, they don't produce the best music around. I like to stick with a versatgile synth like the Z1 which can handle musical changes.

However, that kind of principle made me sold my Juno6 and my SH-101 during my non-electronic years. And I like a lot the viuntahge sound and the analog have became pricier. So Ilost money in the sell/buy game with the 101. But anyway, I came to the conclusion that it's best way to get many simple creative options rather than buying one huge mega-synth (like thePEK or an A6).

Btw Arturo, you have some great tracks (esp the first 2)!I came close to get a Jupiter6 or Juno60 too, but I've decided to get a Nord. How do you like the A6 compared to the A60?

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:14 pm

Yeah, I need to get it back under control. My problem is that I find good deals and fixer-uppers to flip. That brings a lot of stuff in, most of it isn't stuff I keep but all of it is a distraction. To compound the problem it gives me more money to spend. So I start looking at the lowly gear I do have and I think hmmm, upgrade! So far I've been able to avoid the urge but it's there...

I keep telling myself I don't need too nice a set up. Last summer I sold gear and simplified so I could pay cash for a motorcycle. This winter I sold my OB-8 to fund snowboarding gear for my wife and myself. Right now I could keep what I've got and get another OB-8 or a P5 or something and its tempting but it would be a bit of a vicious cycle.

I think I'm going to finally go modular soon. To put controls on myself I think it will primarly be DIY so as to slow my progress and let me really get to know it as it grows. I'm excitedly waiting the new doepfer DIY synth as the basis of the modular. I've got a polivoks filter PCB I need to populate as well and I will go from there.

I've kinda had a very loose and dirty 3 synth rule. I think mine goes something like "3 synths of different types (usually 1 digital, 1 analog poly and 1 mono)" that are my primary setup and a revolving cast of supporters who sometimes become 1 of the 3. I also tried a rule of upgrading and having few very nice synths. Then I just can't help thinking "I've got $3k tied up in this one synth and don't have the creative output to justify owning it..."

Since my time these days revolves around going to work, going to school and watching kids I have little time to go hang out by myself in the studio but I do have time find gear, leave it on the dining room table for days (read weeks) until my wife cant take it anymore. Which gives my plenty of time to play with and try out gear but not a lot of time to compose and record. I justify this as the time I will be choosing my gear so that when my kids are a little older and I am out of school I will have the time to make more music with that carefully chosen gear.

I will say that if you are young and without many responsiblities, now is the time to make music and not get too hung up on gear. It really isn't about the gear it's about how you use it, the gear is just icing.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:27 pm

My name is Z and I'm an electronic instrument -aholic. My addiction is beyond obscene, but at least I have something to show for it rather than a food or chemical addiction or even gambling.

However, I consider myself a good buyer. There are no instruments I "have to have" and pay current street value. I have my own values set in my head on what certain items are worth in my opinion and will not buy until I see them for under that price. I will probably never own any EMS gear because I do not think they are worth the prices they fetch. However, if the Synthex deal that I'm working on does not happen, I may bite the bullet and pay street value.

Like Otto said (and I know there are many others here), I fund my addiction by flipping gear. I've got about a dozen items right now that are just to sell. Also, like Otto, my time is spent at work, taking care of my 2 boys and, just recently, attending a Final Cut Pro class at the local junior college, so I really don't have much time to mess with music. On top of that, my studio isn't set up, but I've got my Fantom X6 set up to noodle on at home and stuff at work to play with if I feel the urge.
Last edited by Z on Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scories

Post by Scories » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:37 pm

At least, you can always say that if you made the wrong choice, you should not loose money by selling it back. Yeah, I always says that. But as I said, it's very 'time-consuming'!