OH SHERRIE Synthesizer

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

OH SHERRIE Synthesizer

Postby cooljoebay » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:26 am

Hi

Does anyone have any idea what synth was used on the Steve Perry song OH SHERRIE? It sounds alot like those sequencers John Carpenter used in movies back then. A very distinctive 80s sound not so easily identified.

I am recently looking into soft synths that might be comparable to those synths as well. The FM8 is a recent one for me and has many cool sounds.

Thanks for your attention.
cooljoebay

Re: OH SHERRIE Synthesizer

Postby Synthaholic » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:17 am

I think I read or saw somewhere that it was a Jupiter-8.

Consider that the sound is similar to that used in the Journey track Separate Ways, and that was definitely the Jup-8.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda
Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Postby cooljoebay » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:20 pm

Thanks for that reply. Yes I agree that the Jupiter 8 was on Separate Ways. But I don't think it was ever used on Oh Sherrie. If I remember correctly Bill Cuomo (I think that's right) was the man behind the Oh Sherrie collaboration. It sounded a lot like an FM synth. I am no expert so I can't really go any further than that. There is a setting called Melody Maker in the FM8 synth that is structured a lot like the Sherrie sound. But obvious it requires a lot of tweaking to get it closer. What I am really searching for is how to do those sequential sounds that back the main part. Sounds a lot like the Carpenter sounds from the Halloween 3 movie, and many of his other films.
cooljoebay

Postby Cosmosis » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:19 pm

Wasn't the Halloween sequence done with either a SCI Prophet 5 or Sequential VS????
Cosmosis

Gear: Access Virus A - Roland JX-8P - Korg K25 controller - Korg EX800 - Kaysound controller - Roland TR-707.
Band: TASHA-YAR/R. Mötte/Agrabatti

Postby cooljoebay » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:58 am

I cannot be sure. It sounds a lot like the Prophet. But someone recently re-recorded the Halloween score using a Juno 106, ESQ-1, and I'm not sure what else what used. It sounds very convincing. There was definitely some similarities between brands.
cooljoebay

Postby Dano » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:29 am

My guess was going to be a Yamaha DX-7 for the glassy/percussive synth sound but also just considering the time period that the song was from and how the DX-7 was on so much of what came out ca. 1984-1986.

I used to be a huge Journey fan back in the day during my first 2 or 3 years of high school and always liked the "Strung Out" track from that album.
Dano

Postby elsongs » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:58 am

The lead sound? Prophet 5. The pad? Roland Jupiter-8.
elsongs

Postby Micke » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:52 pm

The 1/8 note sequence on Halloween II (1981) is from 2 ARP Avatars that were driven by the
ARP sequencer. The "larger" sequences on Halloween III (1982) are from the Prophet 5 w/poly sequencer
and/or Prophet 10. The ARP Avatars are probably in there as well.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby belmontdrew » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:50 pm

I emailed Bill Cuomo awhile back. He stated that the Oh Sherrie synth was the Prophet VS. He stated it was "the same one I used on Whitesnake's Here I Go Again and I still use it today".
belmontdrew

Return to General Synthesizers