Some general MS-20 interfacing questions

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Some general MS-20 interfacing questions

Post by otto » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:40 pm

So it’s HZ/V. What does it work well with and what does it not work well with? The MS-50 and SQ-10 are obvious but expensive. I’ve heard people recommend the Moog CP-251 but being V/Oct, is it that usefull?

Does the MS-10 add much as an expander or not?

What are the options for midi conversion?
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Cosmosis
Gear: Access Virus A - Roland JX-8P - Korg K25 controller - Korg EX800 - Kaysound controller - Roland TR-707.
Band: TASHA-YAR/R. Mötte/Agrabatti

Re: Some general MS-20 interfacing questions

Post by Cosmosis » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:49 pm

I had both MS-10 and 20 hooked together for a great experience. Kinda like an MS-30 :lol:

But yeah, you'll need a Kenton Midi-Cv converter that has both Cv and hz/v.

Or the MS-02 converter box.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:28 am

Cosmosis wrote:Kinda like an MS-30 :lol:
Yep. I got the 10 before the 20 and using the 10 as a third oscillator, like a 32' triangle, causes some serious rumble in the jungle. Sure it doesn't have all the patch points/options the 50 has but it didn't cost me no 2K or whatever they sell for. It does have PWM that that 20 doesn't have. If you can get a nice one at a cool price sure and re-sell it for whatever you paid if you don't require it.

The Kenton midi-cv works great. I can patch the aux 1 to whatever and use cc's to alter the parameter or do sweeps in time with whatever music is being worked on. It also has an LFO that can be applied to the CV or the AUX. The only thing I just realized yesterday is that cv/gate isn't like midi and you can't just connect the kenton -> 20 and 20 ->10(cv/gate n00b). Luckily the forum member I bought my 20 from a while back included the 02 so I can split each out of the kenton like 2 or 3 times with the junction/multiples.

I haven't gotten a CP-251 but when I see people use them they use them straight up. I am not an analog pro or anything but the MS-20 inputs use anywhere between -5v and +5v. The hz/v thing applies to pitch/notes don't it? I got the Kenton first because I wanted to integrate it into the midi environment, it has an LFO and I can do without what the 251 does for now.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:55 am

yeah hz/v is only the pitch, all the vcf ins and the second in for the vco are exponential like v/oct and use -+5V. the hz/v in wants to see up to 8V. theoretically, it is also possible to control the whole range of the oscillator with the second (+-5V) vco in, but it's relative to the keyboard. it is for example possible to use motu volta with that input, but not with the hz/v (cause the interfaces don't give out that much V). volta calibrates it, so it's easy, i dont have experience with kenton...

the MS10 is great in addition to an MS20. you don't only get an extra vco. there is another lfo, env, noise, mod wheel... it is great fun for FM. and, it's external audio input is a crazy distortion. you would need a cv merger / splitter to really benefit from it though...

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:28 am

MS-10 & 20 both work AOK w/ FR mobius sequencers. both for control via those & for midi/cv conversion from anything else.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:44 am

Oh yeah, I thought I'd read that about mobius somewhere. Can you also scale the voltage with the mobius? My EML takes 1.2 v/oct...
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:17 pm

otto wrote:Oh yeah, I thought I'd read that about mobius somewhere. Can you also scale the voltage with the mobius? My EML takes 1.2 v/oct...
weird, i don't think so... just 5 & 12...

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:54 pm

i got a cp-251 with my ms20 and it's a lot of fun. i don't have a modular so the mutiples, mixer, 2 attenuator and a lfo that can receive modulation (i plug the lfo from the ms20 to an attenuator then to the pedal in of the lfo on the cp-251).

the ms10 would be fun to, for the pwm.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:36 pm

novielo wrote:i plug the lfo from the ms20 to an attenuator then to the pedal in of the lfo on the cp-251
you can do that with every (active) expression pedal or the MS mod wheel, or anything else. through the patchbay vca

novielo
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff

Post by novielo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:12 am

pflosi wrote:
novielo wrote:i plug the lfo from the ms20 to an attenuator then to the pedal in of the lfo on the cp-251
you can do that with every (active) expression pedal or the MS mod wheel, or anything else. through the patchbay vca
i'm still learning how to extensively and effectively program it but how could you modulate the lfo like that? maybe i don't have the correct term with "modulate the lfo" ?
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:29 am

well, you want to introduce the lfo modulation by pressing the pedal, right?

the patchbay vca on the MS is just an attenuator. plug the MS lfo to its input, it's output to your lfo mod destination (i guess pitch for vibrato most of the time), and the source you want to control the effect in the control input (mod wheel, expression pedal, another lfo if you have one, etc...). the standard routing to the control is EG1 (delay, attack; nice too for vibrato). the input signal gets attenuated by the control input, and is then passed on to the output. also nice if you want to attenuate other cvs that go to synths without pots for cv in amounts.

novielo

Post by novielo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:07 am

pflosi wrote:well, you want to introduce the lfo modulation by pressing the pedal, right?
that's not what i'm trying to do. i do change the shape/speed of the lfo by using the output of it from the ms20 to the cp-251 input express pedal. with both speeds being different it can be very interesting because the high and low never cross at the same place in their cycle. in short i don't introduce the lfo, i affect it. it sound a bit like a sampling and hold but not linear in time.

you made me realise that i could also use the mod wheel out from the ms20 and mix it with the lfo, this increase how the lfo from the cp-251 is affected.

BTW, i'm using it for lpf
the patchbay vca on the MS is just an attenuator. plug the MS lfo to its input, it's output to your lfo mod destination (i guess pitch for vibrato most of the time), and the source you want to control the effect in the control input (mod wheel, expression pedal, another lfo if you have one, etc...). the standard routing to the control is EG1 (delay, attack; nice too for vibrato). the input signal gets attenuated by the control input, and is then passed on to the output. also nice if you want to attenuate other cvs that go to synths without pots for cv in amounts.
thanks for this vca/EG1 tip.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:50 am

no problem ;)

in this case, you need the cp251... unfortunately the ms20 has no cv input for lfo speed or shape...